Thread: MAF Tuning

MAF Tuning

I have followed all the steps to disable STFT/LTFT, DFCO, and VE so that I could tune the MAF.
    I went out and logged my wideband vs. MAF frequency and then applied that to the table (Multiply by half %) but I noticed it didn't change my idle AFR at all, even though it subtracted a substantial amount. So I thought I would just play with the idle section only to see what was going on. Normally at idle, it would be around 8g/s (~3300 Hz). I tried lowering it more and more but the AFRs didn't change. I took it to 2g/s and it still idled fine and still was rich (12-12.5). Just to make sure I wasn't missing something, I zeroed it all out and the car would die immediately upon starting.

Couple questions:
    • Why is the AFR not changing whether I have 2g/s or 8g/s set for that particular MAF frequency? Is there a minimum fueling setpoint?
    • When MAF tuning, should I be targetting 14.7 across the entire range, and then add back VE to compensate for the "load" regions? (I plan to do VE after MAF is done, and then enable both for the blend)

Here's the current tune:
    2001 Corvette_with_Procharger_MAF_tuning.hpt
    Last edited by phuz; 04-05-2023 at 11:58 AM.
    • 2001 C5 Corvette (625rwhp - Procharger, LS6 heads, Torquer V2 cam)
    • 1991 Volvo 940 - 2JZGTE (600rwhp - PT6466, HKS 272 cams)

I did several trips up/down the highway with adjusting the MAF table (multiply by half %) each time.
    It definitely helped get it really close under slow acceleration and while cruising, but it ended up making it go very lean under moderate throttle, so we're far from done.

Current tune and log attached.
    05-apr-2023-maftuning-2.hpl

Advanced Tuner
    I would recommend getting a map sensor that matches your setup. Also it would be a lot easier to use one of the SD custom os. You may be fine using the maf but you are loosing a lot of control and tuneability.

Quote Originally Posted by 04silverado6.0 View Post
    I would recommend getting a map sensor that matches your setup. Also it would be a lot easier to use one of the SD custom os. You may be fine using the maf but you are loosing a lot of control and tuneability.
    I have the 2-bar MAP; just haven't installed it yet. I wanted to get the MAF dialed in first because I would like to use the MAF for low end and kick over to SD when I get into load.

Quote Originally Posted by phuz View Post
    I have the 2-bar MAP; just haven't installed it yet. I wanted to get the MAF dialed in first because I would like to use the MAF for low end and kick over to SD when I get into load.
    To begin with, remember that the flow of the maf, the higher the number of G/s, the more oxygen, therefore, the less fuel. So, try raising the number by, say, 5% upwards, you put 1.05 and the multiplier for downwards is 0. 95 try uploading it grab the entire table if it obeys it's fine check your pe and check the oxygen sensors well they may not be well disabled

Quote Originally Posted by Josue Galban View Post
    To begin with, remember that the flow of the maf, the higher the number of G/s, the more oxygen, therefore, the less fuel. So, try raising the number by, say, 5% upwards, you put 1.05 and the multiplier for downwards is 0. 95 try uploading it grab the entire table if it obeys it's fine check your pe and check the oxygen sensors well they may not be well disabled
    Yea, the higher the Hz, the higher the flow rate. So by increasing the g/s in a cell, you are telling the PCM that it's flowing more air, and you will get the PCM to add more fuel, and vice versa for lowering the g/s.
    I have the O2 sensors (narrowband) disabled, and I am doing this based on my wideband signal via Prolink cable.

Yea, the higher the Hz, the higher the flow rate. So by increasing the g/s in a cell, you are telling the PCM that it's flowing more air, and you will get the PCM to add more fuel, and vice versa for lowering the g/s.
    I have the O2 sensors (narrowband) disabled, and I am doing this based on my wideband signal via Prolink cable.
    uhmm and why didn't you try moving little by little

uhmm and why didn't you try moving little by little
    I did. I did a multiply by half % each time. Just want to make sure I'm going about this the right way. I want to yank out some more timing before I get into the higher flow rates (where it's currently going lean).
    I think my primary concern right now is why it's staying rich at idle even though I'm dropping the g/s each time. It's like it's adding fuel from something else and not solely fueling based on the MAF.

I did. I did a multiply by half % each time. Just want to make sure I'm going about this the right way. I want to yank out some more timing before I get into the higher flow rates (where it's currently going lean).
    I think my primary concern right now is why it's staying rich at idle even though I'm dropping the g/s each time. It's like it's adding fuel from something else and not solely fueling based on the MAF.
    How is your PE and the MAF sensor? Worry about adjusting the idle correctly. That is your main job. Get on top of that, how do you have your injectors? in the range

How is your PE and the MAF sensor? Worry about adjusting the idle correctly. That is your main job. Get on top of that, how do you have your injectors? in the range
    Not sure what you mean about how is the PE and MAF? The PE is only using EQ Ratio based on RPM. The tune is attached in the top post if you want to look at it. The injector flow is set up correctly per the manufacturer.

Not sure what you mean about how is the PE and MAF? The PE is only using EQ Ratio based on RPM. The tune is attached in the top post if you want to look at it. The injector flow is set up correctly per the manufacturer.
    I did not explain it well but what does it matter move it little by little and if you do not notice changes try to work with the MAP in main VE the MAF sensor should work, it should obey anyway you can go to engine diag and check the airflow if you have disabled the MAF

I did not explain it well but what does it matter move it little by little and if you do not notice changes try to work with the MAP in main VE the MAF sensor should work, it should obey anyway you can go to engine diag and check the airflow if you have disabled the MAF
    I have VE completely disabled right now, along with all fuel trims, so that I can tune the MAF by itself first.
    To do this, you go to Engine -> Airflow -> Dynamic -> High RPM Disable set to a number lower than your idle RPM. This will force it to use MAF only.

Clearly I'm missing something here, because I've done about 80 miles of up/down the highway making small tweaks each time, but take a look at this log from yesterday. Specifically, the 3:58 mark and the 5:44 mark.
    The MAF frequency is virtually the same in these two sections of the log, but the AFR is substantially different. How? The only difference was the first mark was 5th gear (higher rpm, lower MAP) and the second was 6th gear (lower RPM, higher MAP).
    Flow is flow, so the AFR ideally should've been the same.

I have the tune forced into MAF-only, with trims and PE disabled and the open-loop EQ is set to 1.00 above 194F.
    Attached is the log and the current tune that was used for yesterday's drive. Please point out what I'm missing as I'm going to halt my MAF tuning until I figure out what else is still in play.

07-apr-2023-maftuning-3.hpl

I've been out of this for awhile....
    But I believe the "MAF only" mode still somewhat references the VE table. If it was me I would fail the MAF, Tune the VE, then start over.

If you look at your RPM and MAP and then look VE table at your given time clips in the log they are considerably different values
    Just a thought

For your idle AFR are you looking at you base idle air flow?
    And from memory if its idling stable you won't mess with that until VE and MAF are dialed
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

I guess I'll do that. I'm used to tuning VE from my Haltech anyway.
    This is the first I've heard of it still using the VE table in MAF-only mode. If that's the case, then that would explain this to some extent.

As for idle AFR, wouldn't the MAF be targeting the open-loop EQ ratio defined for that MAP/ECT cell? In other words, if I have an EQ ratio of 1.00 for that cell, it should be fueling based on my stoich value of 14.68. Unfortunately, I cannot find any parameter to datalog for commanded EQ ratio or anything like that. I guess my PCM doesn't support it?

Again I've been out for awhile so I could be remembering wrong. I'll post a few idle Tuning threads and maybe that might help answer your question.... One thing I do remember is you need your VE/MAF Injector data dialed before fine tuning idle (which I know you are trying to do)

The second one is a very long thread, but Tons of info for GEN3 idle tuning

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...fig-help/page2
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...e-(w-pictures)
    Last edited by dhoagland; 04-08-2023 at 08:43 PM.
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Quote Originally Posted by dhoagland View Post
    Again I've been out for awhile so I could be remembering wrong. I'll post a few idle Tuning threads and maybe that might help answer your question.... One thing I do remember is you need your VE/MAF Injector data dialed before fine tuning idle (which I know you are trying to do)

The second one is a very long thread, but Tons of info for GEN3 idle tuning

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...fig-help/page2
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...e-(w-pictures)
    Much thanks!

The only injector data I'm aware of is under Fuel -> General. I have all those values specified per the data sheet provided with my Siemens Deka 60# injectors.