Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First post: Boost control issue

Tuner in Training

First post: Boost control issue

We must be missing a limit setting somewhere. We are trying to get it to allow the boost pressure to increase. We have changed a ton of things but haven't identified the issue.

I'm attaching the before config, and after config with everything we tried.

As well as a WOT log from the after config

25 WOT log.hpl

vanderhall_mod_nick_22.hpt

vanderhall_dyno_nick_25.hpt

Any help is really appreciated.

Senior Tuner
    What is the controller on this? I don’t have the ability to open the tune file right now.

Tuner in Training
    E80A if I recall correctly. it's a GM 1.5L Turbo (Small Gas Engine)

It's from a 2023 Vanderhall Carmel

Tuner in Training
    Happy to pay for help with this tune.

Tuner in Training
    You are maxing driver demand and wastegate duty cycle. They must be raised to achieve more.

Tuner in Training
    I don't know what you mean by that. Driver demand is set extremely high at WOT and I'm not sure how to adjust the wastegate duty cycle. I've seen reference to changing a wastegate offsets or something but that doesn't seem to change the ECU from targetting a certain torque level and lowering boost as RPMs climb.

Quote Originally Posted by chisleu View Post
    I don't know what you mean by that. Driver demand is set extremely high at WOT and I'm not sure how to adjust the wastegate duty cycle. I've seen reference to changing a wastegate offsets or something but that doesn't seem to change the ECU from targetting a certain torque level and lowering boost as RPMs climb.
    You mean your pounds are dropping as the RPMs go up?

Tuner in Training
    Yes sir. There is a datalog attached to the original post I think.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Emily89 View Post
    You are maxing driver demand and wastegate duty cycle. They must be raised to achieve more.
    Driver demand is set very high at WOT
    Screen Shot 2023-04-06 at 8.14.53 PM.png

These are the wastegate settings but increasing base DC just causing an overboost condition and closed loop brings them back down.
    Screen Shot 2023-04-06 at 8.16.10 PM.png
    I feel like I'm missing an option somewhere.

Knock airmass is the boost limit you are looking for. Increase the -3, -2, -1 and 0 columns by 0.2 grams and then try again. This table varies engine boost in relation to how much knock it's getting. Max boost limit is the absolute max manifold pressure limit.
    If you're not physically at the turbocharger limits, you can increase Pressure Ratio Max and Surge Limit. You can verify that by putting Overspeed Limit Min to cylinder airmass you never expect to reach, like 2 g.

Bump all driver demand tables (except reduced power) last two rows by 10-15% compared to stock, you can't guarantee which one is normal, which one is sport mode and so on.

Besides, you are missing many useful parameters in the log file, for example cylinder airmass.

And if your wastegate DC reaches 95-100%, your desired boost is for example 200 kPa, but your actual boost is just 150 kPa, that means you reached the physical limit of your turbo and you can't get more out of it without most likely damaging it.
    Last edited by sbarisic; 04-07-2023 at 02:29 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by sbarisic View Post
    Knock airmass is the boost limit you are looking for. Increase the -3, -2, -1 and 0 columns by 0.2 grams and then try again. This table varies engine boost in relation to how much knock it's getting. Max boost limit is the absolute max manifold pressure limit.
    If you're not physically at the turbocharger limits, you can increase Pressure Ratio Max and Surge Limit. You can verify that by putting Overspeed Limit Min to cylinder airmass you never expect to reach, like 2 g.
    I'm not getting any KR and that entire table was already .25 above stock. I've changed it back to stock and increased 0-3 by .5

Bump all driver demand tables (except reduced power) last two rows by 10-15% compared to stock, you can't guarantee which one is normal, which one is sport mode and so on.
    WOT in all the tables except reduced power is already set to 500. ~ +350 over stock

Besides, you are missing many useful parameters in the log file, for example cylinder airmass.
    I'll add that for sure.

And if your wastegate DC reaches 95-100%, your desired boost is for example 200 kPa, but your actual boost is just 150 kPa, that means you reached the physical limit of your turbo and you can't get more out of it without most likely damaging it.
    That makes sense. That's what I was hoping to see. I understand these are tiny turbos.

I'm going to order the bad news racing turbo if I can figure out what is holding closed loop boost control back. I don't want to switch to EFI live.

Here's a tune file for a 1.6 SIDI using the same E80A ECU. Compare to base in the tune history for the stock file.
    log9_stock_run is the stock file, while log8 is with the changes. The tune had a few revisions afterwards, don't have the log for that.

In the tuned log, look at the desired boost vs intake manifold absolute pressure. Desired 255 kPa vs received 229 kPa at 90% duty cycle. (Timestamp 01:59.790).
    This is approaching the limit, could squeeze out a few kPa more but that's about it. The car is stock with the catalytic converter and so on.

log8.hpl

log9_stock_run.hpl

Astra K 2017 1.6T 200hp Tuned.hpt

Tuner in Training
    Here's a tune file for a 1.6 SIDI using the same E80A ECU. Compare to base in the tune history for the stock file.
    log9_stock_run is the stock file, while log8 is with the changes. The tune had a few revisions afterwards, don't have the log for that.

In the tuned log, look at the desired boost vs intake manifold absolute pressure. Desired 255 kPa vs received 229 kPa at 90% duty cycle. (Timestamp 01:59.790).
    This is approaching the limit, could squeeze out a few kPa more but that's about it. The car is stock with the catalytic converter and so on.

log8.hpl

log9_stock_run.hpl

Astra K 2017 1.6T 200hp Tuned.hpt
    Will do. I'm rarely getting above desired boost. Usually at lower rpm in 2nd gear and the throttle/overboost solves that quickly.

Tuner in Training
    I tried your changes to no avail. It was already considerably higher than stock but I increased it some anyway.

Screen Shot 2023-04-07 at 6.10.20 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-04-07 at 6.08.07 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-04-07 at 6.15.51 AM.png

Cylander airmass is staying around .75g until it hit overboost

Tuner in Training
    @sbarisic

I noticed you disabled traction control events from controlling boost. I've done the same.

I also added to Engine -> Torque Management -> Supercharger -> Boost Limits / IAT + Delta + Outlet similar to yours.

These maps were zero'd from the factory and my tuner put something similar to your stock settings in here.

WOT log

sbarico.hpl

Tuner in Training
    @chisleu
    you are exceeding max engine torque and driver demand still. wastegate duty cycle looks under control now with that log

Tuner in Training
    @Emily89 Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what else to change because the drive mode maps already have extremely high values at WOT.

Tuner in Training
    Untitled.png

this is what i notice. delivered torque exceeds max torque allowed. driver demand over 100%. also notice traction control hits 100% during start. if confident peak torque table is high enough and confident
    driver demand table is high enough~(make sure raise 86% pedal row as well as 100% pedal)~ if these good, maybe it is transmission torque management? not confident to suggest other possibilities. best luck
    please inform when resolved what solution was used

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for trying to help Emily. I submitted a ticket with HP Tuners. Maybe they can help.

Potential Tuner
    you can increase this table,it's worked on my LTG with e80a ecm,I can make my desired boost reach 250kpa if I want,but it will drop to 220kpa at 5500 rpm with 4th gear and I dont know why搜狗截图20230409023534.png
    Last edited by zzzzzzz; 04-08-2023 at 02:57 PM.