Thread: 2020 X3 RR Odd Issue

Tuner

2020 X3 RR Odd Issue

Been working on a bone stock RR, when I go WOT (not every time) the buggy completely shuts down. I get 3 beeps, a "Limp Home" on the dash and by the time I pull over the dash is blank and not running. I put it in P and it starts right up and drives fine until I go WOT again. When I read DCTs I get P2279 Intake Air System Leak.
    So today I preformed a Boost leak check by applying 20lbs of air through the cold side of the Turbo and spraying soap water to Intake Manifold(advised by Can AM dealer I could have a hairline crack in the intake manifold) and all hoses and connection's as well as the intercooler and no Suds anywhere that I can see.
    My logs show that I am making 16-18lbs of Boost, my fuel is .80 Lambda and No Knock on stock spark and boost tables.
    One log shows 19.33lbs of boost which did not hit Limp Mode
    My Injector Duty Cycle shows less than 85%
    One day I can make WOT runs and no Limp Mode, the next day on the same .hpt file it hits Limp Mode every time. ?????
    I suspect its a Wastegate issue.
    Buggy runs fine at part throttle and Idles fine.
    Any suggestions???
    I am using The Tuning School Can AM manual

DM for logs and Video
    06 LQ4 2500HD CC LB 4wd 4.56, Dana 60,
    17 3500HD 6.0 srw
    GenIII Unlimited GM Full Size Truck/SUV
    Serial cable to WiFi

Advanced Tuner
    I have never read that manual, and it doesn't come recommended.
    Is the machine tuned at all? Meaning all stock? Or have you changed some variables in HPT?

Tuner
    I have made minimal changes, addressed VE table in WOT areas to achieve .80 Lambda and EGT temp for PE.
    Buggy has also went to Limp Mode when running stock tune.
    17 3500HD 6.0 srw
    Serial cable to WiFi

Advanced Tuner
    When you log, do both pressure sensors track the same pressure, at WOT?
    Are they the same reading with key on, engine off?

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by MRRPMBRP View Post
    When you log, do both pressure sensors track the same pressure, at WOT?
    Are they the same reading with key on, engine off?
    I will verify when I get back in town Sat.
    17 3500HD 6.0 srw
    Serial cable to WiFi

Tuner
    As in MAP and Boost?
    17 3500HD 6.0 srw
    Serial cable to WiFi

Tuner
    9:48 WOT Limp Mode very quickly
    12:38 successful WOT run
    Attached Files Attached Files
    17 3500HD 6.0 srw
    Serial cable to WiFi

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blucreek View Post
    As in MAP and Boost?
    Not really, these have a pressure sensor just before the throttle body, and another pressure sensor in the intake manifold. Both readings should be the same at wot. If they're not the same, either the throttle is a restriction, or they aren't reading correctly. I will look at your log in a few minutes

Tuner
    TIP = Throttle Inlet Pressure ?? vs MAP
    Ok I see that my TIP is at 228kpa and my MAP is at 193kpa during my Limp Mode run during WOT (9:48 mark of log)
    But my successful WOT run my TIP and MAP are within 10kpa of each other (12:38 mark of log)

I will go back and look at previous logs where I went into Limp Mode to see if the MAP is < TIP which would tell me the the Throttle is the restriction??
    17 3500HD 6.0 srw
    Serial cable to WiFi

Advanced Tuner
    TIP = Throttle Inlet Pressure ?? vs MAP
    Ok I see that my TIP is at 228kpa and my MAP is at 193kpa during my Limp Mode run during WOT (9:48 mark of log)
    But my successful WOT run my TIP and MAP are within 10kpa of each other (12:38 mark of log)

I will go back and look at previous logs where I went into Limp Mode to see if the MAP is < TIP which would tell me the the Throttle is the restriction??
    I still haven't had time to look at your logs.
    But yes, check to see whats up with that, they should be the same, if throttle is going wot. Maybe throttle is not 100%? Is this a mud machine?
    Make sure a hose isn't blowing off under pressure, then falling back on, under vacuum. Had this happen one time, almost never figured it out.

Tuner
    Just verified that my MAP and TIP do not match with key on and not started. MAP=102.07kpa and TIP= 100.60kpa
    It is not a "Mud Machine" when updating with BUDS2 before I ever did anything with HPT we pulled up the RPM history on this 2700mi machine, and as you can see the owner would have never known there was a issue at WOT because it was hardly ever there
    Screenshot_20230419_220924_Gallery.jpg
    17 3500HD 6.0 srw
    Serial cable to WiFi

Advanced Tuner
    Just verified that my MAP and TIP do not match with key on and not started. MAP=102.07kpa and TIP= 100.60kpa
    It is not a "Mud Machine" when updating with BUDS2 before I ever did anything with HPT we pulled up the RPM history on this 2700mi machine, and as you can see the owner would have never known there was a issue at WOT because it was hardly ever there
    Screenshot_20230419_220924_Gallery.jpg
    On the matching of pressure, that's ok. Matches not running, but not wot.
    There must be some leakage at WOT for the pressure to be different.
    Put on a dyno so you can watch everything to make sure no leaks, or if no dyno, aim a go pro at the plumbing.

Tuner
    *Update*
    I ordered a new MAP sensor and was waiting for delivery, before it arrived I got called out to work 7hrs away for 4mo. So the owners son came and picked up the X3 and was gonna install the new sensor when it arrived.

Before installing the New MAP sensor, he unplugged the existing sensor and plugged it back in. He text me and said he has made 5 WOT runs and No Limp Mode!!!!!

Unbelievable!!

Tuner
    Quote from Owner
    "Rode the x3 to trail kitchen today. Hit WOT several times. No limp mode. Throttle is very responsive and it rides way better and a lot smoother with the new tires"