Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tuning Data for FIC LS Series 42lb @4 Bar for LS1/6

Quote Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
    MAF location changed? Tube Diameter Changed? Material change won't do that. I also wouldn't expect much temperature change from the material change, other than maybe for very short term.
    Diameter is the same 4 inches. But the MAF location has slightly changed 1 inch closer from the center of the throttle body.

Senior Tuner
    I wouldn't think 1" on a Straight Tube would make much difference. 1" in a bend would though.

I thought some more about the material swap and temperature change, and although I still don't think it would make much difference, the swap to aluminum will make the air inside the tube higher, not lower. Thermal conductivity of AL is 9.5 times that of SS. Even if you assume the Aluminum tube has twice the wall thickness of the SS, the AL will transfer 4x heat from hot surface (engine side) to cold (air flow side).

I wouldn't think 1" on a Straight Tube would make much difference. 1" in a bend would though.

I thought some more about the material swap and temperature change, and although I still don't think it would make much difference, the swap to aluminum will make the air inside the tube higher, not lower. Thermal conductivity of AL is 9.5 times that of SS. Even if you assume the Aluminum tube has twice the wall thickness of the SS, the AL will transfer 4x heat from hot surface (engine side) to cold (air flow side).
    This is strange. My wideband sensor is on the driver side, where it was showing too lean reading compared to passenger side, that was showing normal based on o2 sensors readings. Swapped the o2 sensors but the results were the same. This is where I started to think about the injectors on driver side being clogged and decided to replace them with new ones.

Senior Tuner
    So you are replacing a narrow band sensor with the wideband? Are you setting everything to force open loop?

So you are replacing a narrow band sensor with the wideband? Are you setting everything to force open loop?
    No I have both narrow and wideband. I am tuning based on wideband. Yes initial settings of VE and MAF tuning with forced open loop based on videos from the docchopper in youtube.

Senior Tuner
    I doubt you have clogged injectors in one side. More likely intake or exhaust leak on that side. Or a wiring issue.

I doubt you have clogged injectors in one side. More likely intake or exhaust leak on that side. Or a wiring issue.
    So do you mean intake manifold leak?

Senior Tuner
    I’m sort of just guessing but intake leak is more likely to cause lean on one bank but fine on the other than clogged injectors. Remember you still haven’t posted tune, log or details on your build. But what would make injectors clog on one side but not the other?

I’m sort of just guessing but intake leak is more likely to cause lean on one bank but fine on the other than clogged injectors. Remember you still haven’t posted tune, log or details on your build. But what would make injectors clog on one side but not the other?
    I will post my tune and log.
    Is logging at idle for 5 min sufficient or it should be logged while taking the car for a short drive.

The engine is 2003-2004 LS6 on a 68 camaro with cam, long tube headers and FAST 92mm intake manifold. Not sure about the full cam specs as it was installed by the previous owner. I know it is 228 but no idea about other specs.

I?m sort of just guessing but intake leak is more likely to cause lean on one bank but fine on the other than clogged injectors. Remember you still haven?t posted tune, log or details on your build. But what would make injectors clog on one side but not the other?
    Here is the log at idle (cold start) and the tune with MAF and open loop. Hope that helps to pin point the issue.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 68camaroLS6 View Post
    Here is the log at idle (cold start) and the tune with MAF and open loop. Hope that helps to pin point the issue.
    If no one else responds, I'll try and see what I can do reviewing it this weekend (can't do it on work computer during the day, and the last thing I want to do is sit at a computer in the evening). I'm still very new to this myself so I may or may not be able to spot anything.

If no one else responds, I'll try and see what I can do reviewing it this weekend (can't do it on work computer during the day, and the last thing I want to do is sit at a computer in the evening). I'm still very new to this myself so I may or may not be able to spot anything.
    No issues man, I am new to this myself😎. No need to rush. Just shared the files hoping someone could spot something.
    I will try to copy and paste some VE tables which I saved in the past hoping this will richen the AFR.

Senior Tuner
    Had a few minutes to check tonight. Your narrow bands indicate that both are lean, Voltage is 0.12 on one bank and 0.07 on the other. That would indicate lean on both banks. You might want to get it into closed loop and see what happens.

Had a few minutes to check tonight. Your narrow bands indicate that both are lean, Voltage is 0.12 on one bank and 0.07 on the other. That would indicate lean on both banks. You might want to get it into closed loop and see what happens.
    Thanks man. Yes I noticed the lean indication on both banks. I decided to start over with VE tuning without MAF and was able to bring the AFR back to 14-15 at idle.

Don't chase a specific number especially for light load/idle areas, the 'correct' number is whatever it needs to run best.

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Don't chase a specific number especially for light load/idle areas, the 'correct' number is whatever it needs to run best.
    You are right. Initially it was too lean at idle, and made this adjustment as a starting point. However, I am planning to take the car for a drive and make a few logs in order to adjust the VE table for light load.

Senior Tuner
    My comment was more that both banks looked very similar vs one side be correct and the other lean enough to indicate a serious injector problem.

My comment was more that both banks looked very similar vs one side be correct and the other lean enough to indicate a serious injector problem.
    I got your point man. The reason why I decided to change my injectors was because of O2 sensor that was reading too lean on bank1 compared to bank2. The log I shared was after replacing my injectors.