Thread: 4L60E Transmission Temp

Potential Tuner

4L60E Transmission Temp

I have put a external pan temp gauge on my 4L60E in my C5. Autometer gauge reads 20-25 degrees lower than the ECU temp reading. Can anyone tell me why? Can I adjust the ECU reading to match my external gauge?
    I didn't like switching back and forth to see oil temp and trans temp. that's why i put external gauge in. Is the internal reading more accurate or is the best the external pan reading?

You didn't say what it was running currently. 160 to 180 is good. Unlocked TCC with some throttle can send it up to 200. 210 and higher is when you start getting into some problems. Are you experiencing high temps or just want the temps to match? If you verify your new gauge is off and it is the wired style you can "adjust" it with either an inline or parallel resistor to "get it calibrated" or closer to your ECM temp.
    Wanted to give a little more on my "210" temp. If you get 210 from a torque converter flash that's not a problem. It would be a sustained temp of 210 and then if it flashes it could go significantly higher depending on how your set up. (Stall speed, coolers, vehicle weight, low numerical gearing, and tune modified TCC lockup disabling)
    Last edited by TheMechanic; 05-30-2023 at 07:13 AM.

Tuner
    Pan temp almost always reads lower than the internal temps read by the ecu...
    Only time they really match up is sitting in traffic or a drive thru for an extended time..
    So that's a good thing.. You want the pan temp to read lower.. it means your cooling system is working