Thread: '06 GTO with LSA, dies after starting

Tuner in Training

'06 GTO with LSA, dies after starting

I have a 2006 GTO with a LSA living upstairs, this year I cannot get my car to stay running. It starts, the dies. VE tune, cammed, heads NW 103TB and what not. I will attach the current tune and a scan of what I am talking about. With throttle, it'll shoot up to 2,000 rpms, then dies. I checked fuel pressure in case its mechanical, but it stays at 58psi. This is a Stealth 340 pump, in a 8.1 silverado bucket with the GTO pump hat. I would like a second opinion on the tune files to make sure I am not messing up, I just need to know if its the tune or potentially the fuel system of sorts. Here is the tune this log was taken with. After logging I was running almost 20% lean across the board which seems odd, which is why I am confused whether its tune or mechanical. Base Tune #2.hpt 23-04-11 13-02-40.hpl
    Last edited by lsagto; 04-11-2023 at 07:53 PM.

Tuner in Training
    I should add, Fuel Injector Clinic 1000cc, and that tune was the only way I could get it to run to get home. I had to rev it pretty heavily on initial fire and it finally caught and ran. Took almost 30 minutes to get running.

Tuner
    At a quick glance, under Spark - Advance - Idle Spark Advance - Base & Coastdown table have the spark in the idle areas at 13 degrees which are stock values. Make these 18 to 20 degrees and blend out. See if that helps your idle enough to get a decent log.

Tuner in Training
    I updated the post with the correct log for that tune. I will look into that. Although, once it did run it idled good.
    Last edited by lsagto; 04-11-2023 at 08:00 PM.

Tuner
    Engine Diagnostics - MAF Frequency High & Low set both to 0. DTC - P101, P102 & P103 set to Mil on first error.

The VE table doesn't look like what I would expect either. Have you entered the correct data for you MAP sensor?

Tuner in Training
    It?s DPE Corvettes 2.5 bar sensor. Info should be right. Once I get home I?ll upload the log of my half hour drive home. I agree, the VE table makes no sense and it was running 15-20% lean running off that table. After entering the data it looks worse. The car was tuned before from a tuner. Car ran great but the starting was less than perfect. Even uploading that tune (injectors info wrong) it still does the same exact thing it?s doing now.

Tuner in Training
    23-04-11 14-45-28.hpl Here is my log after 30 minutes of trying to get it to run on that tune. The fueling seems way out of whack. After adjusting the VE table even more than what it is now, this is why I don't know if it is a tune problem. Also, question, why would I turn on P0100 - P0103? I am wondering since it is SD tuned, no MAF.

Tuner
    P101-103 you failing it on first error because you are in SD. Any reason why you're in open loop and have CL turned off?

Tuner in Training
    Yes, I am in open loop to get the VE tables adjusted, at least that was the goal

The MAF is not failed in the tune file you posted.

Engine Diag > Airflow
    MAF Frequency Fail High = 0 Hz
    MAF Frequency Fail Low = 0 Hz
    Test ERT Min = 0.0 s
    Test IGNV Min = 8.0 V
    Test RPM Min = 100 RPM
    Test Enable Delay = 0.0 s
    High Count Thresh = 1
    Low Count Thresh = 1

Engine Diag > DTCs
    P0101 = MIL On First Error
    P0102 = MIL On First Error
    P0103 = MIL On First Error

Checking TIS, the VIN in your file shows a calibration for a TCM... are you trying to use an auto trans ECM OS without the TCM? (fully expecting to get a "but I changed the dropdown to manual") xD

Tuner in Training
    There shouldn't be? I guess I have never touched it

Tuner in Training
    First Start 4-12-23.hpl Well, after correcting the MAF Fail, now it stays running. I appreciate the suggestions on MAF failing, interested how it worked before.

Advanced Tuner
    You can try this if you'd like.
    Base Tune #2 v1.hpt

I had all kinds of weird stuff happen when I was using the common recommended MAF Fail settings of 2/1 on the E40, it only started behaving right with 0/0. So I don't waste brain power trying to figure out why/how they do stuff when it's not getting the stuff it needs to be truly failed.