Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with VVE tuning

Help with VVE tuning

Hey guys hope you all are doing well.

Well I think I've decided to take the plunge into VVE tuning. I have a set of questions that I need answered to help me pursue this quest.

1 Do I really have to fail the maf while scanning to do vve logs?
    2 Do I really need to pull 4* of timing while doing tunning?
    3 Do I make changes to the manifold switch closed, open, or both?
    4 Is my car going to run like crap when I do vve tuning enough where it's not really drivable on the public highways?

Is there a way to post long data logs (that won't upload because their too big), or a way to cut them in half because I have one that won't upload that I did last night?

Or would it be better to just pay someone to help me out?

Thank you
    L99 A6 - DSS FX Forged Piston's, Eagle ESP L19 Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, LS9 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnion Upgrade, TSP Chrome Molly Pushrods, BTR .660 Valve Springs, GM Hollow Intake Valves, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, IR EGM-205 Oil Pan Baffle, CAI Intake, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, ZL1 Pump, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter

Advanced Tuner
    Basics.
    1 - Yes/No There are documented ways to do this without failing the MAF, just search. If you are new to this, tuning MAF and VVE independently is a great way to learn how things work. The more complex the build, the more need to tune each separately. I would recommend yes.

2 - For the WOT areas yes, but you need to have control of any modifier tables as well. Dial in fueling, bring timing back up, dial in fueling again as needed.

3 - Both, make them the same.

4 - It could, depends what changes you initially make/do not make. If you can get it to start and idle without issue, a trip around the block or two is a decent way to gauge how it will react on the main roads. Make changes as needed to get it to behave and fuel itself correctly and it should not be an issue.

You can export a clipped version of your logs.

In most cases and for your own sanity, yes. No reason to not try yourself though. As long as you are not ripping on the thing it should be fine.

Tuning Addict
    I recommend that you download and use Cringer's latest tuning tool update no matter the method you choose. It pretty much has all of the bugs corrected and once you use it a little it's super easy to use. It'll allow you to average multiple logs together to get the best results, plug those into hpt then double check what the theoretical fuel trim errors will still be afterwords. Makes VVE tuning with the coefficient calculations go super quick You can even use it for MAF corrections or whatever table averaging. I personally use it quite a bit now for dialing in MAF's. Usually gets everything within 1 or 2 percent error first error correction if you use it right and nothing else in the cal or build is throwing things off. Then when working with the VVE table it helps get things within 1 to 6 percent first log.

Exo3901 pretty much answered everything else.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

I've pm'd Ben Charles and Alvin and have not heard back. Are they still alive?
    L99 A6 - DSS FX Forged Piston's, Eagle ESP L19 Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, LS9 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnion Upgrade, TSP Chrome Molly Pushrods, BTR .660 Valve Springs, GM Hollow Intake Valves, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, IR EGM-205 Oil Pan Baffle, CAI Intake, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, ZL1 Pump, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
    I don't think Alvin has been posting much this week, although I think he was a little earlier in the week.

Have you emailed Greg?

Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    I recommend that you download and use Cringer's latest tuning tool update no matter the method you choose. It pretty much has all of the bugs corrected and once you use it a little it's super easy to use. It'll allow you to average multiple logs together to get the best results, plug those into hpt then double check what the theoretical fuel trim errors will still be afterwords. Makes VVE tuning with the coefficient calculations go super quick You can even use it for MAF corrections or whatever table averaging. I personally use it quite a bit now for dialing in MAF's. Usually gets everything within 1 or 2 percent error first error correction if you use it right and nothing else in the cal or build is throwing things off. Then when working with the VVE table it helps get things within 1 to 6 percent first log.

Exo3901 pretty much answered everything else.
    I guess I need someone to help me out (if someone while respond to my messages) because I don't even know how to use the tool your referring to (I'm guessing the math tuning tool) plus I don't understand which one to use because there are like four of them.

who's Greg?

Senior Tuner
    See post #3. Assuming you are looking for someone to remote tune.

I don't know about him he seems kind of mean. lol. But at least he's active and alive.

Advanced Tuner
    You have not met mean until you have met the squirrel who cannot see.

I have spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by eXo3901 View Post
    You have not met mean until you have met the squirrel who cannot see.

I have spoken.
    Yeah I have seen his post too, he seems kinda scary.

What I would like is someone to help me that can do it quickly because I daily my car and it can't be running like crap around town. But I was thinking that I resort back to my maf tune when needed correct until I get the vve dialed in? Also I don't want someone to tell me that I need to turn my torque reduction back on in the tranny or to modify my timing but I will pull timing for tuning if needed.

Senior Tuner
    I don't know about him he seems kind of mean. lol. But at least he's active and alive.
    ?????? Never got that impression at all (the mean, not the alive and active). Just direct and to the point. Of course I don't think blindsquirrel is mean, just maybe a little impatient.

Hey guys hope you all are doing well.

Well I think I've decided to take the plunge into VVE tuning. I have a set of questions that I need answered to help me pursue this quest.

1 Do I really have to fail the maf while scanning to do vve logs?
    2 Do I really need to pull 4* of timing while doing tunning?
    3 Do I make changes to the manifold switch closed, open, or both?
    4 Is my car going to run like crap when I do vve tuning enough where it's not really drivable on the public highways?

Is there a way to post long data logs (that won't upload because their too big), or a way to cut them in half because I have one that won't upload that I did last night?

Or would it be better to just pay someone to help me out?

Thank you
    1) IMHO the best way to dial in VVE is to disable the MAF. Keep in mind when you do this on a Gen4 ECM, the Low Octane table will be used instead the high octane spark table. So copy Hi to Low for this procedure (see also #4). Additionally, the ECM is not going to be happy while the MAF is failed and will occasionally "hiccup". You'll know when this happens and it is normal, just ignore it. But you can still get super close without having to fail the MAF by watching the video linked below.

2) Assuming your timing is relatively close and knock sensors are not disabled (I saw your last tune...and they appear to be disabled) you should be OK. But in your case you may want to back off 2-4*.

3) Only certain trucks have the manifold switch (IIRC). Otherwise, use manifold switch open for all GM cars.

4) You will be fine. If it runs like crap then there are other issues, and then you need to address those, which is a good thing to be revealed so you can address those issues.

Please watch these to fill in the blanks. Be sure to look at the video descriptions for links and more help:
    https://youtu.be/xRZaTblSQ_0
    https://youtu.be/_Eiyy460C_k
    A standard approach will give you standard results.

My Tuning Software:

VVE Assistant [update for v1.5]
    MAF Assistant
    EOIT Assistant

Quote Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
    1) IMHO the best way to dial in VVE is to disable the MAF. Keep in mind when you do this on a Gen4 ECM, the Low Octane table will be used instead the high octane spark table. So copy Hi to Low for this procedure (see also #4). Additionally, the ECM is not going to be happy while the MAF is failed and will occasionally "hiccup". You'll know when this happens and it is normal, just ignore it. But you can still get super close without having to fail the MAF by watching the video linked below.

2) Assuming your timing is relatively close and knock sensors are not disabled (I saw your last tune...and they appear to be disabled) you should be OK. But in your case you may want to back off 2-4*.

3) Only certain trucks have the manifold switch (IIRC). Otherwise, use manifold switch open for all GM cars.

4) You will be fine. If it runs like crap then there are other issues, and then you need to address those, which is a good thing to be revealed so you can address those issues.

Please watch these to fill in the blanks. Be sure to look at the video descriptions for links and more help:
    https://youtu.be/xRZaTblSQ_0
    https://youtu.be/_Eiyy460C_k
    Thank you Cringer. I've enlisted the help of Greg so he should get me dialed in and I can learn a lot faster with his guidance.

Tuner in Training
    Greg did a remote tune for my LS2 C6. He was nothing but nice and professional. Always quick to respond, even when I wasn't. I would highly recommend him for remote tuning. Watching his process was very helpful for me to learn how to tune. There is a lot of information out there, but watching the entire process from start to finish was a great experience.
    2007 Corvette LS2 M6 1 3/4 headers cam motion titan4 (227/232 613/596 113LS) Borla S-Type axle back

Senior Tuner
    I replied to you Mon, its wednesday now.

But like I said. I'm not interested in tuning just this one part as something else could mess up the entire process.

I do this M-F 9-5. Email turn around is 1 business day. Sometimes we do 2 files for the same customer if he replies back with a log in time.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

That's ok, Greg is getting me squared away. Thank you though.

Tuning Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by midTnMike41 View Post
    Greg did a remote tune for my LS2 C6. He was nothing but nice and professional. Always quick to respond, even when I wasn't. I would highly recommend him for remote tuning. Watching his process was very helpful for me to learn how to tune. There is a lot of information out there, but watching the entire process from start to finish was a great experience.
    Thank You for the kind words. It does mean a lot to me.

I think we have Joe's pretty close now. Dialed in his VVE for 0 cam then dialed in the variable cam coefficients to keep fueling right with the moving cam position then fixed the MAF for where having the VVE dialed in threw it back out and then tweaked some other things that having the VVE dialed in allowed those problems to show.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Yes Greg is a great guy. He was always straight to go to work and quick to tune when I sent him a log. He is nothing but nice amd professional and did a great job. Thanks Greg!