Thread: Vats delete 2004 L61

Potential Tuner

Vats delete 2004 L61

I recently swapped an 04 l61 engine into a 1997 cavalier. I am having trouble with getting a reading from the obd port. I tried wiring it directly into the can wiring from the ecm still no comm. has anyone swapped on of these before and has some info? I also have been doing some research and seen some people have said disabling vats is tricky on these.

If anyone has information or can direct me to some I would appreciate it

Senior Tuner
    You are wiring in the donor ECM? Do you have the wiring diagram for you donor? Do you have both of the 120 ohm resistors terminating both ends of the canbus network?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
    You are wiring in the donor ECM? Do you have the wiring diagram for you donor? Do you have both of the 120 ohm resistors terminating both ends of the canbus network?
    I am infact using the donor ecm as the old engine was not the dohc. Do you have more information on the resistors? I can upload the wiring diagram tomorrow. I noticed the instrument panel is considered a logic, do you have any knowledge on what that means?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but 2004 won't use high speed data. You are serial on terminal 1 of OBD2 connector.
    You didn't post your tune.
    You should

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong but 2004 won't use high speed data. You are serial on terminal 1 of OBD2 connector.
    You didn't post your tune.
    You should
    It looks like you are probably correct. The Caviler wouldn't have been if that was his donor. Maybe not impossible, if he is trying to use a L61 from an Ion or Malibu.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by sauersauto608 View Post
    I am infact using the donor ecm as the old engine was not the dohc. Do you have more information on the resistors? I can upload the wiring diagram tomorrow. I noticed the instrument panel is considered a logic, do you have any knowledge on what that means?
    http://resources.aeswave.com/ATG-05_...rogramming.pdf

The Instrument Cluster showing as Logic means is it's own module that is pulling data from whatever data network it has.
    There were a lot of changes going on in the data networks from that 1997-2004 time and I don't know if you are going to be able to make it all talk over stock wiring.
    http://tomboynton.com/GMnetworks.pdf

Potential Tuner
    i removed the engine and wiring from my donor car, the car is in fact a 2004 chevy cavalier. I attached the wiring diagram. i did attempt to wire in the body control module to the network as it shows in the diagram. With the body control module wired in into the network I provided power to the bcm and gave it ignition power. I than wired the DLC to the bcm as it is from factory and still had no luck getting any communication. My ultimate plan now is to pull the interior wiring harness out of the donor car and install that. including steering column to give it a security key reading, I was just wondering if there was a quicker way. I would still like to understand the communication network from this car to my full potential.

Also TheMechanic. I am unable to get any communication from the ecm so I am most definitely unable to post my tune

Screenshot 2023-04-17 180907.png

Remove the BCM. Run a dedicated wire from C1 PCM connector terminal 15 directly to your DLC's terminal 2 and make sure you have a good ground on terminals 4 and 5 with battery power on terminal 16 of the DLC. Unless the PCM is bricked it will read.