Thread: Ram 1500 Tow Mode Shift Pressure

Potential Tuner

Question Ram 1500 Tow Mode Shift Pressure

My 2019 Ram 1500 Classic has a different shift time and slip / torque management between Tow Mode and Normal driving. I was able to tune 95% of the transmission but I can't figure why the shift timing & Torque Management is different when I use the Tow mode. Basicaly, I would like theses maps exactly the same between Tow Mode and Normal driving. The Tow Mode is perfect !

Does the tow mode uses "Max" table values ? (Shift Timing Up shift & Trq Management) ?

Yes I already adjusted all 5 tow shift pattern maps, I did search a lot on the forum with no luck.

image (13).pngimage (15).png
    Last edited by Anakin; 04-17-2023 at 07:19 AM.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Anakin View Post
    My 2019 Ram 1500 Classic has a different shift time and slip / torque management between Tow Mode and Normal driving. I was able to tune 95% of the transmission but I can't figure why the shift timing & Torque Management is different when I use the Tow mode. Basicaly, I would like theses maps exactly the same between Tow Mode and Normal driving. The Tow Mode is perfect !

Does the tow mode uses "Max" table values ? (Shift Timing Up shift & Trq Management) ?

Yes I already adjusted all 5 tow shift pattern maps, I did search a lot on the forum with no luck.

image (13).pngimage (15).png
    Hello Anakin,

No, Tow Mode does not use MAX. Depending on the vehicle, transmission uses a different strategy for it.
    It is just quite hard to say exactly which mode is being used... But, definitely it is possible to make all modes similar to Tow mode.

DodgeBoy.
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@dodgeboy2785
    Email: [email protected]

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by DodgeBoy_8HP View Post
    Hello Anakin,
    It is just quite hard to say exactly which mode is being used...

DodgeBoy.
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@dodgeboy2785
    Email: [email protected]
    why cant he log 'clutch shift type' and 'shift ID' to determine which tables it is using ???????

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by LilSick View Post
    why cant he log 'clutch shift type' and 'shift ID' to determine which tables it is using ???????
    Go ahead and do it @LilSick. Let me know what Shift ID will tell about which Shift Timing and Torque Management are being used in each mode

Advanced Tuner
    'clutch shit type' tells me for my hp70

maybe the 75 is completely different and there is no way to know

op - can you add 'clutch shift type' and post a log?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by LilSick View Post
    'clutch shit type' tells me for my hp70

maybe the 75 is completely different and there is no way to know

Could you be more specific ou how you found what map the Tow Mode is using for Shift Timing Upshift & Trq Management ?

I have a 8HP70 in my truck. Shift ID told me the Shift pattern Agression 0 (0-10-15-20-25) & Tow Mode (59 to 63) but I have no idea how to log or to know what Shift Timing Upshift & Trq Management the truck is using.

I saw nothing telling the trans I'm in tow mode but there is a major difference during shifting in tow mode vs normal driving mode. Regardless of the load or RPM. I haven't found how to adjust this nowhere in HPT.

Advanced Tuner

Potential Tuner
    Yes I will do it in few days, I'm waiting on parts.

Tuner in Training
    hows your trans tune making out? did you get all your drive modes shifting the way you wanted?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_ct View Post
    hows your trans tune making out? did you get all your drive modes shifting the way you wanted?
    All most, still trying to figure out why shift time and smoothness fluctuates gear 2 to gear 3 between normal and tow mode + why it fluctuates in time in normal mode. If I rool into second gear mid throotle and floors it it shift perfeclty the third gear but if I floors it in first gear the 2 to 3 shift is longer and more/too smooth why longer torque management. It's the same for all gears but worst in second to third.

The shift timing is now perfect for me, it shifts how I wants it to shift and when I wants it.

Potential Tuner
    LilSick, the only thing I found is the parameter : TRANS SHIFT MODE : 256 while in tow mode but 0 in all other modes
    I haven't found the 'clutch shift type' parameter, tow mode still shifts more firm than normal mode (same shift schedule, same pedal position, same rpm) during the 2-3 shift. Similair in the other gears (after my tune change). I happy with all the other gears.
    + (other subject) I was able to increase shift speed and shift quality for all gears except the 2-3 shift. If I rool into 2-3 shift then "slowly" accelerate up to the WOT it shifts perfectly and quite fast. If I floors it hard the 2-3 shift is slow and inconsistent. ESC fully diasble.
    Do you have any Idea ?

Advanced Tuner
    @purple ram