Thread: Thoughts on speed density only tune?

Thoughts on speed density only tune?

I'm primarily a Ford tuner, but I recently bought a WS6 02 Trans Am that has been tuned full time speed density (there's no MAF either). I am curious what people's thoughts are on this method for GM tuning. The car doesn't feel like it's running as well as it could. Thanks!

Nothing wrong with speed density only, tons of people do it and it's basically the best way to go with boost too.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Power Surge View Post
    The car doesn't feel like it's running as well as it could.
    mothing wrong with SD, but, if you think something is wrong, need to scan it to see what is right or wrong.
    Or just set up a dyno appointment

Advanced Tuner
    I run SD on all the Turbo trucks and cars.
    My turbo truck has been SD for 19 years now.

Get a wideband on the car and see what its doing.

Senior Tuner
    Aren't all dodges Speed density?

Speed density is great. People will blame bad tuning on speed density. It's harder for the inexperienced to tune and that's likely where that comes from.

The foundation of any great tune is properly tuned speed density first. MAF comes later.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

I tuned hundreds of maf cars. I do not like the maf sensor if I can avoid it. The maf is very easy to tune in theory- saves tuners alot of time, tune an engine in a couple hours usually on the maf. That is why I think tuners like maf sensor tuning, they get the job done quickly in and out. But the maf is a fickle bitch and blurry to tune. Its like a average tune even on the best of days. For 4 and 6 cylinder engines the discrepancy is fine because those engines sip fuel. But if you really want to max out economy and plug cleanliness and reduce carbon deposits and keep the engine clean in a V8 application - I recommend learning to fully tune the MAP situation. Not just the VE Table mind you but the entire repertoire of tools laid out that interact with airmass calculations and VE interference to such a degree that the engine no longer requires a closed loop and runs with superior response, power, economy, cleanliness while in open loop on the MAP.

Ok... here is the file dump out of my 02 WS6. If anyone feels like taking a look at it and seeing if there's anything that doesn't look right before I start tinkering with it, that would be appreciated.

WS6dump.hpt

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Power Surge View Post
    Ok... here is the
    VE is a bit choppy
    timing is interesting both HO and LO
    why leaning out the PE in the higher revs?

Senior Tuner
    What chimp tuned this? You'd be better off starting with a factory tune and then converting it to SD.

Senior Tuner
    I'd start with a stock file..

They barely touched the VE.. and not in any meaningful way.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Advanced Tuner
    MAF/Speed density/Closed Loop/Highway lean cruise mode enabled is the ONLY way I will tune. Far better than speed desnity alone and 100x better than any open loop garbage.

Advanced Tuner
    If a tooner cannot get a GenIII MAF curve dialed in, a VE table dialed in, set up the PCM for open loop idle if desired or lean cruise and still keep a proper closed loop that will help smooth transitions and weather variations even more they need to learn what they are doing.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast4.7 View Post
    MAF/Speed density/Closed Loop/Highway lean cruise mode enabled is the ONLY way I will tune. Far better than speed desnity alone and 100x better than any open loop garbage.
    How do you enable lean cruise mode on a US vehicle? I know that there is a setting in the tune, but isn't it true that the setting has no effect? AUS cars have lean cruise capability. Lean cruise functionality is part of the code beyond what HPT can access, correct? Not trying to start anything I genuinely want to know because I'd like to have the feature.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusC1024 View Post
    How do you enable lean cruise mode on a US vehicle? I know that there is a setting in the tune, but isn't it true that the setting has no effect? AUS cars have lean cruise capability. Lean cruise functionality is part of the code beyond what HPT can access, correct? Not trying to start anything I genuinely want to know because I'd like to have the feature.
    I have been enabling it for years in P01s and P59s with HP Tuners on non Corvette stuff. Easy to do but I do not want to spell it out for fear the ability to do it will be terminated. The other option is use Universal Patcher and PCM Hammer to do it. That is open source and even has a patch that can be applied to populate the stock tables.

Senior Tuner
    Ok I think I understand. Thank you.

Advanced Tuner
    Ok I think I understand. Thank you.
    Lean cruise will only run in a US PCM if the platform ID is AUS Holden. Should tell you all you need to know. System options table from the old platform ID need to match using the AUS Holden ID option line.

Quote Originally Posted by bk2life View Post
    VE is a bit choppy
    timing is interesting both HO and LO
    why leaning out the PE in the higher revs?
    What chimp tuned this? You'd be better off starting with a factory tune and then converting it to SD.
    No idea... this tune was in my car when I bought it.