Thread: Resources for beginner.

Tuner in Training

Resources for beginner.

Hello all I am new to diesel tuning and want to start learning as much as I can, specifically ford 6.4s. Any pointers or resources would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Banned
    not a good start if your specifically looking at theeeee worse motor ever created. there's a reason the engine was only around for 3 years. they are like land mines. I dont know whats worse, 6.4 or dealing with a house wife with a bad attitude on bad day. Start a fire in the house, its easier to deal with..

Tuner in Training
    Ohhh I am well aware of the 6.4 and all its issues. its a love-hate relationship for sure, but at the end of the day I still love this truck.

I would really like to learn the ?new way? of tuning a modern diesel from an unmodified base file(if you catch my drift)
    Last edited by h300033; 04-19-2023 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Spelling errors

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerstrokecustoms View Post
    not a good start if your specifically looking at theeeee worse motor ever created. there's a reason the engine was only around for 3 years. they are like land mines. I dont know whats worse, 6.4 or dealing with a house wife with a bad attitude on bad day. Start a fire in the house, its easier to deal with..
    lol, wonder how many people has dealt with both at the same time

Advanced Tuner
    Not to hijack this thread, but I'm hijacking this thread. Same question as OP asked except for 6.7s, specifically 2015 year. From what I've been reading people are maxing out MAF and reducing timing in cruising for efficiency. Alot of limiters to be disabled or maxed out as well. My big thing is the terminology on a lot of the tables is like looking at Chinese to me. I'm very familiar with coyote tuning, but not diesels, and they're far apart. Any reads, or threads, or books recommended I'd much appreciate it!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pistol_91 View Post
    Not to hijack this thread, but I'm hijacking this thread. Same question as OP asked except for 6.7s, specifically 2015 year. From what I've been reading people are maxing out MAF and reducing timing in cruising for efficiency. Alot of limiters to be disabled or maxed out as well. My big thing is the terminology on a lot of the tables is like looking at Chinese to me. I'm very familiar with coyote tuning, but not diesels, and they're far apart. Any reads, or threads, or books recommended I'd much appreciate it!
    Thanks
    Maxing out the maf is dumb as it's utilized for smoke limiting/lambda calc...... you can also just change your smoke or lambda limiters if you're asking for more fuel than you're getting... They even give you steady state and dynamic limiters.... Literally 0 reasons to max it out IMO. Now if you're ignorant about tuning a MAF then maxing it out will allow you to get past some things but I really suggest learning how to use it to your advantage. Not to mention the other issues maxing out the maf will create for you... #1 Forget gas ideology, Diesel's move all the air they can all the time, and rev/rpm control is done strictly by the amount of fuel that enters the engine, not the amount of air like in a gas engine. You may only burn 10% of the available air and that is fine because you only needed to burn that 10% to have the power output your were asking for. As you start to tip into your accelerator pedal you start utilizing more and more of the available air until you hit a limiter, IE lambda or another limiter. Every stock diesel in the the world will be limiting the fuel amount allowed in based on what the MAF is saying the available amount of incoming air is. It says you're good to keep adding in more fuel until that fuel amount hits or exceeds your allowed lambda. This is mainly to control smoke. A diesel will output smoke around 18.0 AFR which is why it's so important to control it especially for emissions related equipment. Now lower timing in the cruise range as you mention can actually hurt you, but in the case of some the reason the power output is better is because it increases heat being input into the exhaust without really hurting the torque output. This keeps the exhaust gases expanded thus taking up the same amount of space which then increases the turbine drive pressure relative to a higher timing value. Higher turbine drive pressure means the turbo spins faster and thus more fresh air is incoming and more air is available to burn to make more power. Now that's long winded and a lot to know so read it over and over until it makes sense. Remember diesel tuning is subjective and there is no advance timing until knock and then dial back a little in a diesel. If i advance injection timing to say something crazy like 50* BTDC i'll be spraying outside the piston bowl and there won't be enough heat initially for it to ignite as high enough compression hasn't happened as of yet to generate the heat required to make it ignite. Missing the piston bowl hurts the mixing of the fuel and air and makes for a sporadic and inconsistent burn. Reread these things until it's burned into your brain, Other than that stuff play around and flash 800+ times and have fun learning a diesel. Maps 1-4 are coolant temp, tune only map 1 to start with, and maybe getting into map 2 a little but leave 3-4 alone. modes are just that the mode of operation or Normal,Regen,Fast idle,Coldstart, Then Injection configs are based on CAT, baro, and so on.... Your main timing map when warmed up to temp should be map 1 config 2 mode 0