Thread: S197 MAF calibration procedure?

Tuner in Training

S197 MAF calibration procedure?

I honestly hate even asking this question considering how many times it has been asked. Is there anyone willing to share the CORRECT/CLEAR procedure for calibrating my 2012 GT for my JLT series 2 intake. I've read about disabling Cylair anticipation, raising cylair multipliers, Zeroing maf temp compensation table, disable LTFT etc. I've also seen several say "you can" also not disable anything and use LTFT+STFT.. which makes no sense at all. There can't be 2 ways to do it. There has to be a clear procedure of what has to be disabled that is unanimous with no "you can also" tidbits. If anyone is willing to share please do so. I've tried this a couple of different ways and have obviously gotten different results. Let me add quickly also that I definitely have the correct channels logged and histograms built.

Thanks!

I fought with this intake for a long time with idle and driveability issues on my a stock 2013 engine and pcm swapped 2007. I got to the point of ditching the JLT2 and put on a stock air intake. Got the car running as a stock mustang should.

So I have the car running perfect, and I get the itch to re-install the JLT. This was the only change, and this is where it got interesting.
    I make the change in my tune, adding only the JLT maf transfer minus 10% as my previous tuning have shown, and I loaded the new tune. The car runs absolutely spot on, identical to the stock air intake. Fuel trims are also the same as with stock air intake.

Why I could not 'dial' in the JLT before, I'm not sure. But there is something I'm missing, as I do not believe I got "lucky" this last time installing the JLT.

Maybe one of the more experienced guys on here could offer an explanation. As I'm curious for an explanation.

Tuner in Training
    I should have added originally that I calibrated the MAF using the method described and got the fuel trims pretty damn close at <2% across the board except idle. My idle trims are roughly 10-12% which leads me to believe I did not set up the tune properly to calibrate the MAF. I'm a bit of a perfectionist so my goal is to be within +/- 1% in all cells.

Advanced Tuner
    I find I have to log the same MAF settings over several days then average them to get any kind of repeatable results.

I start with the LT + ST method to get a rough curve 5% or less range. I never trust the first log after a flash, even if the car is warmed up. I will drive a few miles then stop, shut off and restart the car, then take a log to use for correction. I started doing this after chasing my tail.

Then I turn off the LT's and log several days. I try to get 3 or more logs each day. I then input this info into a spread sheet and average each period then apply the correction. I'm 1% or less correction everywhere. Yes I'm OCD anal. LOL
    Last edited by K44; 04-19-2023 at 04:43 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the input! Your suggestion is what I was getting ready to try as I've noticed small discrepancies from log to log. The spreadsheet idea is just what I needed. Sounds like we think alike... lol. Thanks again!