Thread: Tuning my MK7.5 Golf R SIMOS 18.10 - Stage 1 results

Potential Tuner

Tuning my MK7.5 Golf R SIMOS 18.10 - Stage 1 results

Working on tuning my '19 Golf R. All stock hardware except for drop in filter and turbo inlet pipe/hose. Starting to finally understand HPT a bit more after previously using Eurodyne several years ago to tune my '15 S3 big turbo car, and more recently my '18 BMW 340i with B58 using Bootmod3.

Anyways - I've always preferred tuning my own car, this way I can't blame anyone else if it blows up But I did try an OTS stage 1 high torque tune from an Audi Performance Racing company along with their DQ381 tune. I didn't like it much. WOT was great, but every day driving felt sluggish and laggy in D. It still raced to 6th gear by 40 mph.

I've had the MVPI2 for several years collecting dust (used to tune my Audi Q5 ZF tranny) so I figured I'd blow the dust off and see if I could figure out how to make it work for my R. I was familiar with torque management tuning (similar with BMW) so I kinda had at least an idea of how it needed to work. However I struggled with the throttle closing through most of my runs. This went on for a while until I had an epiphany (at 2am one morning while trying to sleep). It's the damn TIP table dummy! Sure enough that did the trick and I think I have it running very good now. It's as fast as the high torque OTS tune - maybe slightly faster according to Dragy. But best of all is the daily driving experience. I made some pedal torque changes that make the car feel like an NA car while driving normally. World of difference!

I'm sure I have areas to clean up since many changes to maps yielded no results, but I may not have reverted them back to stock. But for now, here's a log, along with my stock and tuned file for amusement.
    Oh - I also changed to the IE DQ381 tune which gives me the option to select between several launch speeds and whether or not I want it to shift automatically in M mode. It also has much better shift points in D.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by MadCharger; 08-18-2023 at 09:17 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Looks good! What else do you have planned for this car/build?

Potential Tuner
    I'm going to attempt to keep it stock turbo, but add intercooler and hopefully flex fuel. Throw in a rear sway bar and all it a day. That's the plan anyway :/

Advanced Tuner
    Here's a few edits if you wanna check it out. This should fix the throttle closure at WOT stuff, and I increased a couple limiters too that you probably just want to move out of the way. That "temperature limits" one is probably already starting to limit power up top. Raised the overboost threshold so you don't trigger overboost code based on your current boost targets, just expanded it out a bit.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronc7 View Post
    Here's a few edits if you wanna check it out. This should fix the throttle closure at WOT stuff, and I increased a couple limiters too that you probably just want to move out of the way. That "temperature limits" one is probably already starting to limit power up top. Raised the overboost threshold so you don't trigger overboost code based on your current boost targets, just expanded it out a bit.
    That's awesome Aaron. Thank you! I'll take a look and give it a try.

Potential Tuner
    Hey aaron! May be nitpicking here, but it's all because I am still trying to learn this platform myself. Also not sure if this is something you added or MadCharger added as I only downloaded your edited version of the tune, BUT - I noticed that for Max Torque 0 PC 0 table (and only that table) the tune is effectively requesting the same as 3rd gear torque for 2nd gear. Any reason for that? Also, my real question - is there any information out there on what the difference is between these tables? most tunes I have looked at, they are all identical. What is the difference between those "power class" tables under torque demand? I've only tuned basic VE on megasquirt before and want to crawl before I run on this platform, so I appreciate any and all advice. Not seeing any specifics from cobb or ecutek either. Thanks!

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by zcortese View Post
    Hey aaron! May be nitpicking here, but it's all because I am still trying to learn this platform myself. Also not sure if this is something you added or MadCharger added as I only downloaded your edited version of the tune, BUT - I noticed that for Max Torque 0 PC 0 table (and only that table) the tune is effectively requesting the same as 3rd gear torque for 2nd gear. Any reason for that? Also, my real question - is there any information out there on what the difference is between these tables? most tunes I have looked at, they are all identical. What is the difference between those "power class" tables under torque demand? I've only tuned basic VE on megasquirt before and want to crawl before I run on this platform, so I appreciate any and all advice. Not seeing any specifics from cobb or ecutek either. Thanks!
    LOL ignore me, just realized I was looking at the MT tables only - you guys here have tuned for AT. I only think of myself :P