Thread: Tune for 2013 Cadillac SRX

Advanced Tuner

Tune for 2013 Cadillac SRX

I am looking to optimize the tune on my wife's 2013 SRX. Not wanting to race the thing, just one with engine and trans optimized a bit better overall. Especially around E85, SOI, VVT, spark, trans shift timing, pressure, inertia. Really just something you would get from a well done box tune, although I know those two terms do not go together often. trying to get a little better MPG, torque, shifts, and helping E85 gains. It has the Flex fuel sensor, but the stock tune does not appear to gain much of anything from E85 to offset the MPG drop even at a lower cost.

I contacted overkill motorsports a while back and never got a response. I figure another person or group is probably doing these now since I hear overkill has not been involved on these as much.

I have looked over other forum members similar tune files they were kind enough to share (none for heavier vehicles like SRX), and I see some are making some pretty big changes to VVT, spark, and transmission. But I had trouble finding a file with much SOI changes.

Stock tune file attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

If the engine, intake, exhaust are stock then I imagine you won't see much if any benefit changing the SOI. Check out my thread https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...tor-Dwell-Time, post #4 to see my theory on SOI, but keep in mind I'm new to tuning and don't necessarily know what I'm talking about. Currently I'm tuning a 2015 Camaro V6 (believe the same engine and ECU as yours) with a full intake and exhaust and Mace cams. For SOI I'm currently running the factory table except where I need to start injection later due to EVC. I intend to try a few different SOI tables on a dyno to see what difference there is, but from just driving around I couldn't tell much so I went back to stock.

I'm adjusting the VVT now and based on a bunch of trials (described in my thread) the ideal cam settings, at least for the intake, don't seem to be much different than stock, so again you probably won't see much benefit in changing them on a stock engine. One area I found to be an improvement, however, was in the lower airmass areas (cruising areas) where I got more airflow at cruising areas; see attached pic of my current intake table (still working on the exhaust, so it's possible the intake could change, but probably not much if at all I'm guessing). Try adjusting the cams and monitoring airflow/airmass to see where there's any difference (also see https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...VT-Tuning-info).

Spark seems to be tricky in that I'm getting quite a bit of knock in some areas, but I'm still working on the VVT and thus fueling so once I have the cams set to where the airflow is highest I'll tune the fueling for the those cam settings, and then start advancing spark back where I removed timing for knock. With a stock engine you could try adjusting spark to more closely match the MBT > Max Torque Timing table, but in any case you probably won't notice much difference driving and would need a dyno to prove the result. 87 octane is also recommended by GM for some reason despite a fairly high compression ratio, so if you use 91 or higher you could try adding timing in the cruising and WOT areas and see if you notice anything.

I made a few minor changes to the trans but I prefer to keep most of the safeties in effect (torque management, TCC apply speeds, etc.) to reduce unnecessary wear and tear. You can try adjusting the Shift Timing > Torque Adder tables to speed up the shifting, and make the TCM do whatever it thinks is best/safest to do that. I found that I only cared for faster shifting at WOT and it shifts fairly quickly already at high loads, but maybe that's just me (I also always use the tap shifts so that could differ from you).

Not sure if any of this helps; eventually I'll finish the tune and visit a dyno to prove everything. The biggest difference you might notice is improving throttle response; check out this thread: https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...ttlebody-issue
    Attached Images Attached Images