Thread: 2021 l83 8l90 swap can I use a 2018 ecm?

Tuner in Training

2021 l83 8l90 swap can I use a 2018 ecm?

Got a l83 with a 8l90, customer wants to use 2018 ecm. It?s going in a c10 and is more than likely going to be cammed. So can we use and 8l90 Tcm with the older ecm? And is there any other issues that may come up besides the active fuel management?

Advanced Tuner
    Correction, you have an L82 or an L84 - there is no L83 in 2021.

If you remove all of the DFM hardware (if it's an L84), the E92 (older ECM) should be fine. You will need to recalibrate the high pressure fuel pump which is different. The transmission might be a problem, however, sometime after 2019, which is the last year of the L83, they moved some of the shifter position logic into the the ECM, which an older ECM won't be able to deal with. And, the older TCM may not be able to deal with the newer transmission, either.

Good luck.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by tunerpro View Post
    Correction, you have an L82 or an L84 - there is no L83 in 2021.

If you remove all of the DFM hardware (if it's an L84), the E92 (older ECM) should be fine. You will need to recalibrate the high pressure fuel pump which is different. The transmission might be a problem, however, sometime after 2019, which is the last year of the L83, they moved some of the shifter position logic into the the ECM, which an older ECM won't be able to deal with. And, the older TCM may not be able to deal with the newer transmission, either.

Good luck.
    Gotcha!! Thanks for the info, just better off telling the customer to use the newer ecm, unless he wants to use 6 speeds.

Tuner in Training
    Quick question, what if we did all the active fuel management delete and used a Camaro ecm with the 8 speed and changed everything in the ecm to run the 5.3? I?ve never been in any of the gen v stuff so I don?t know if that?s possible.