Thread: 4l60e GMC Sierra not shifting

Potential Tuner

4l60e GMC Sierra not shifting

Hi I have a 1999 GMC Sierra 4.8 4l60e and I?m having a problem where it won?t shift when I give it full throttle. When it gets to about 5,600 rpm?s it just bangs on the heat and won?t drop into the next gear. I recently got myself a mpvi3 to try to fix this problem myself any help would be useful thanks !
    Last edited by Alex13____; 04-25-2023 at 07:30 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    If you read the tune off and get a datalog of the issue it would be most helpful.

I've seen these issues caused by poor tuning, bad transmission, or low transmission fluid level.

Potential Tuner
    I will do that thank you ! I think it?s a bad tune the guy that tuned it for me retuned it twice and still the same issue with less banging in between shifts

Senior Tuner
    It could be bad tuning.

It can also be low on fluid. Several 4LXX platforms like a TBSS specifically will start missing shifts just half a quart low on fluid.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Potential Tuner
    Will check that once I?m home but I don?t think it?s that. I broke 2 transmission because of that problem both were checked a good amount of times & it didn?t do it till after I got it tuned

Advanced Tuner
    Are you sure the dipstick tube is seated all the way in the trans?
    100% sure the dipstick is giving you an accurate reading?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex13____ View Post
    Will check that once I?m home but I don?t think it?s that. I broke 2 transmission because of that problem both were checked a good amount of times & it didn?t do it till after I got it tuned
    WHat happened with the previous 2 transmissions?

Potential Tuner
    Just checked and all is good on oils ���� And both other transmissions just stopped going into gear it would just rev on drive and reverse and not move.

Advanced Tuner
    Sounds like pump failures?