Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: new tuner completely lost please help

Quote Originally Posted by SiriusC1024 View Post
    Up to you that's why the gauge came with different settings and faceplates.

Stoichiometric for any fuel from methanol to toluene will be 1 for lambda. 14.7:1 reading for ethanol would be actually 9:1.
    i can switch between afr and lambda right on the faceplate, question is how do i get it to log in lambda?

so should i start a new thread too keep the masses happy, or do i continue with this one for the sake of simpicity in finding everything i've learned about?

open to the public?

Senior Tuner
    You're wanting to know how to set it up in scanner right? The best way is to watch youtube vids on that. There are some decent ones. Just type 'hptuners pro link wideband histogram' into search. It's going to be a lot easier seeing it done than reading about it.

You're wanting to know how to set it up in scanner right? The best way is to watch youtube vids on that. There are some decent ones. Just type 'hptuners pro link wideband histogram' into search. It's going to be a lot easier seeing it done than reading about it.
    i have been watching video's for a month or two solid, and on the good video's i have picked up a thing or two....but so far that's like 3 tables, i'm looking on goat rope garage right now and am seconds away from paying the 5 dollars for his prepopulated graphs, pid's, histograms, charts so i can get this damn thing tuned.....it's time to go back to work again (took off the last 8 months for state too state move, engine swap, garage remodel, and general f'ing off) so my bank account is looking pretty skimpy at this point.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by JR92RS View Post
    i have been watching video's for a month or two solid, and on the good video's i have picked up a thing or two....but so far that's like 3 tables, i'm looking on goat rope garage right now and am seconds away from paying the 5 dollars for his prepopulated graphs, pid's, histograms, charts so i can get this damn thing tuned.....it's time to go back to work again (took off the last 8 months for state too state move, engine swap, garage remodel, and general f'ing off) so my bank account is looking pretty skimpy at this point.
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...522#post731522

I just explained all this in another thread last night. see if this helps.

Set your WB to whatever you want to see on the gauge (if the WB allows that, my glowshift does) as long as the math is right for the HEGO data then the computer is literally seeing a percentage, which is what youre graphing and using to change VE or MAF curve. you can set the scanner channels to whatever you want to view.
    Last edited by horsepowerguru427; 05-30-2023 at 05:17 AM.

Senior Tuner
    You're pretty close. Main thing is pull spark to reduce all that knock. The rest is fine-tuning, and now you've got a wideband for that.

Quote Originally Posted by horsepowerguru427 View Post
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...522#post731522

I just explained all this in another thread last night. see if this helps.

Set your WB to whatever you want to see on the gauge (if the WB allows that, my glowshift does) as long as the math is right for the HEGO data then the computer is literally seeing a percentage, which is what youre graphing and using to change VE or MAF curve. you can set the scanner channels to whatever you want to view.
    getting the wideband to work is not the problem, understanding or determining what information i need to log to effect changes is, understanding how to setup charts, graphs, histograms, and tables and which ones i even need during each step of the process.

for example right now have a problem:
    1.i want to determine if my wideband data is accurate and trustworthy enough to tune with or if i have exhauste leaks before the wideband(which is entirely possible)....but i don't know how to go about verifying it?

note: the only thing i do know is the gauge and afr reading in hp tuners appear to be about the same....won't know for sure without taking a picture of both at the same time as the numbers jump around so fast
    Last edited by JR92RS; 05-30-2023 at 10:18 AM.

You're pretty close. Main thing is pull spark to reduce all that knock. The rest is fine-tuning, and now you've got a wideband for that.
    im still not sure if i'm done with the mechanical issues, thinking about running to jegs and getting:
    1.the colder ngk spark plugs you recommended

2 a lower 180* temp mechanical thermostat (might have a 195* now), because the in hose switch is now a 180* on 170* off thermo switch (just changed it), the dash gauge and the ecm agree i'm running around 210*-212* when the fans finally decide to kick on, but the mechanical thermostat doesnt appear to be opening until the engine reaches the 210*area instead of 195* so i'm not sure if i need to drop down to a 180* or 160* mechanical thermostate. i want to bring the base engine temp down that could cause knock.

3. iat temps appear to be abnormally high which can also lead to knock or pre detonation, so i'm thinking of finding something to insulate the air intake rubber and metal tubing to keep out the heat from the upper heater hose it runs next too, and the blistering hot radiator it also runs near

i hate this shit

Senior Tuner
    Why? You're doing fine. It's all part of it. One thing at a time.

Advanced Tuner
    Agreed. theres a lot of trial and error and a steep learning curve in the beginning if you arent familiar with the technical side of this stuff. most people are just used to changing parts and when they get into tuning its mind blowing and discouraging. How do you eat an elephant? one bite at a time. as long as youre making progress then youre doing fine.

getting the wideband to work is not the problem, understanding or determining what information i need to log to effect changes is, understanding how to setup charts, graphs, histograms, and tables and which ones i even need during each step of the process.

for example right now have a problem:
    1.i want to determine if my wideband data is accurate and trustworthy enough to tune with or if i have exhauste leaks before the wideband(which is entirely possible)....but i don't know how to go about verifying it?

note: the only thing i do know is the gauge and afr reading in hp tuners appear to be about the same....won't know for sure without taking a picture of both at the same time as the numbers jump around so fast
    Something that helped me early on was to look for layouts, channels, graphs, charts, and gauges. Then I could look at how they were created. Modify them to my needs. At the time creating my own was a bit daunting. Don't even get me started on the "Math's". I catagorize them all now as to Gen 3, Gen 4, and Gen 5. Then in each folder what I am going to do. Example "Idle", SD, MAF, VVE, etc. That way you can concentrate more on tuning the vehicle than tuning the scanner.

i'm trying to set up my pid's, graphs, gauges, and charts, building some based on goat rope garage's instructions so i can try to tune the maf frequency's first.
    can someone look and see if i'm on the right track, or if the charts are working as intended. included a log with wideband installed.

questions:
    in the channels list how the hell do i make the commanded afr read in lambda?

is there any benifit to reading wideband in both analog and serial at the same time?

anyone?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by JR92RS; 06-02-2023 at 12:14 AM.

here's a simple one.....in the scanner the stupid bar graph at the bottom of the screen disappeared (the one you can scroll through the log to find peaks and stuff) how do i get that back?

screen shot.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    Something that helped me early on was to look for layouts, channels, graphs, charts, and gauges. Then I could look at how they were created. Modify them to my needs. At the time creating my own was a bit daunting. Don't even get me started on the "Math's". I catagorize them all now as to Gen 3, Gen 4, and Gen 5. Then in each folder what I am going to do. Example "Idle", SD, MAF, VVE, etc. That way you can concentrate more on tuning the vehicle than tuning the scanner.
    that's exactly how it feels now....tuning the scanner instead of what needs tuned, one would think hp tuners would (after all this time) have created and distributed with their software....all gauges, graphs, pid's, maths needed for each step of the tuning....this sucks

here's a simple one.....in the scanner the stupid bar graph at the bottom of the screen disappeared (the one you can scroll through the log to find peaks and stuff) how do i get that back?

screen shot.jpg
    anyone help with this at least?

Advanced Tuner
    anyone help with this at least?

Hit the square box in the upper right hand corner next to the big X.

Quote Originally Posted by LS ROB View Post
    Hit the square box in the upper right hand corner next to the big X.
    thank you, i must have clicked it before you responded, it was already back just forgot to delete the question

here's the next one thing

hey siriusC can you (or anyone else with some spare time) take a look at this log and tell me what you think....i'm getting some really weird readings that i don't understand?

1.aside from the astronomically high iat's i'm reading (i will probably move maf sensor closer to air filter and out of the stream of hot air the fans are blowing across it, plus wrap upper radiator hose with heat shield tape) too try and combat this issue.

update: got it moved and temp was 41* cooler when checked against fan turn on

intake-fan stream.jpg intake.jpg

2. injector bank 1 appears to be constantly pulling fuel, while bank 2 is doing more adding than subtracting.

3. 2 issues with wideband....i took a picture of gauge and computer at the same time and gauge is reading .5 off from what's displayed in hp tuners
    (is that normal, or can it be dialed in better) and the 2nd is the wideband shows me running lean, but as i stated before the stft's are pulling fuel...
    what do you make of that?

wideband .5 error.jpg

and i'm adding a log file:

someone please help!!!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by JR92RS; 06-02-2023 at 09:22 PM.

Senior Tuner
    For #3. You aren't reading .5 off, you are reading .005, maybe. But you need to add a decimal place to the HPT channel to know. 1.055 rounded to two decimal places is 1.06.