Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

Thread: new tuner completely lost please help

Senior Tuner
    Yeah I know how you were doing it. I don't like STFT for VE being so close. I think of including STFT as a rough draft.

30 count. Really it's Cell Hits Required when configuring the EQ error MAP table.
    cell hits.png

At 80kPa LTFT is still active in one of the cells (2400rpm, 80kPa). Probably because TPS thresholds weren't met there, so it wasn't in PE. I used the LTFT data for that cell. I didn't use it then apply EQ error on top.
    ltft cell.png eq cell.png

6150 rpm for WOT shift, not normal. You're probably right, though. I've done it plenty, but that's on my stuff. Technically 6000rpm is the stock limit for a 4L60E. 5500 is safe, but that's going to be slow. It's your choice, of course. At least think about having it up a little higher than 5500 so we can get the VE table populated in case you change your mind later. Vette has it 6000 rpm for 1-2 then 5900 for the other two WOT shift points.

0% pedal to 100% pedal. Yes do WOT. Do all of it to get the fuel trims populated.

Last part of your reply about the lean condition. Fuel>Open Loop/Base>STFT Open Loop Enabled. You asked about that before, and I said turn it off on the assumption that the O2's wouldn't be quite accurate running a little on the cool side. Let's see what it does. Get that in the log, too. I'll see what I can do.
    Last edited by SiriusC1024; 06-07-2023 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SiriusC1024 View Post
    Yeah I know how you were doing it. I don't like STFT for VE being so close. I think of including STFT as a rough draft.

30 count. Technically it's Cell Hits Required when configuring the EQ error MAP table.

6150 rpm for WOT shift, not normal. You're probably right, though. I've done it plenty, but that's on my stuff. Technically 6000rpm is the stock limit for a 4L60E. 5500 is safe, but that's going to slow. It's your choice, of course. At least think about having it up a little higher than 5500 so we can get the VE table populated in case you change your mind. Vette has it 6000 rpm for 1-2 then 5900 for the rest.

0% pedal to 100% pedal. Yes do WOT. Do all of it to get the fuel trims populated.

Last part of your reply about the lean condition. Get that in the log, too. I'll see what I can do.
    we will never get the ve table populated in the higher ranges because it has a 2.72 highway gear in it....yesterday i had the engine screaming in 1st and you saw as high as i could get in the tables. according to that local so called tuner my car stops making power around 6000-6200rpm i have never liked the trans hanging in a gear too the point the engine isn't making power anymore....thats why i'm not comfortable shifting that high...i'll try it @ 5700rpm and see how she sounds....will that work?

and i was trying to throw something together to correct the cranking ve table(like the ltft+stft tables we use for the ve table)(where i can copy from log and do the multiply by half in the editor), can you have a look at this table and tell me if it will do what i want to the cranking ve table.....or am i trying to compare apples to oranges....different results that have nothing to do with each other?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by JR92RS; 06-07-2023 at 08:28 AM.

Senior Tuner
    In log 3 you never exceeded 3900 rpm. Thought you were taking it easy until safety of WOT fueling could be verified. 5700 will do, but I do recommend the full 6 for this tuning part. It should only need a couple passes of full WOT there in the log. Most of the time will be spent getting all the other cells. No need to hang out in PE with the wideband. LTFT yeah take you're time with those. The more time there the more accurate LTFT becomes, and it won't require much more adjustment. You'll see what I mean.

Cranking VE no. I don't see how fuel trims can be active there since nothing is steady-state. That's for starting the engine. It's open-loop referencing cranking VE and cranking fueling tables. If you were having problems starting then you'd adjust there. You were talking down low cold start adding fuel while idling. That would be a regular VE adjustment.
    Last edited by SiriusC1024; 06-07-2023 at 08:36 AM.

In log 3 you never exceeded 3900 rpm. Thought you were taking it easy until safety of WOT fueling could be verified. 5700 will do, but I do recommend the full 6 for this tuning part. It should only need a couple passes of full WOT there in the log. Most of the time will be spent getting all the other cells. No need to hang out in PE with the wideband. LTFT yeah take you're time with those. The more time there the more accurate LTFT becomes, and it won't require much more adjustment. You'll see what I mean.

Cranking VE no. I don't see how fuel trims can be active there since nothing is steady-state. That's for starting the engine. It's open-loop referencing cranking VE and cranking fueling tables. If you were having problems starting then you'd adjust there. You were talking down low cold start adding fuel while idling. That would be a regular VE adjustment.
    i never hit wide open throttle when i was hanging gears....i would hang first gear then slowly accelerate until i guess it was the trans screaming (maybe not engine if i only got too 3900 rpm)

as for the cold start...i guess that's what i'm talking about, it starts fine, but until it reaches closed loop it is entirely too lean....what about changing engine>fuel>open/loop base>open loop>stft enabled.....it's currently disabled?

Senior Tuner
    You can do it that way. I edited the reply about that above. Or leave alone in the log. Feedback from the wideband will determine by how much to adjust Cold/Warmup open loop tables.

You can do it that way. I edited the reply about that above. Or leave alone in the log. Feedback from the wideband will determine by how much to adjust Cold/Warmup open loop tables.
    ok, can you look at that cranking ve table i made (i will not use it) just want to know if i was in the ballpark with my thinking and the creation of that table

Senior Tuner
    Yeah that's how to make a histo table for cranking spark. Idk what that's going to do since cranking spark is 2d. Should be something like measuring eq error since the file title says cranking ve, but I doubt it works in any meaningful way. If you meant to log spark then leave the row axis blank.

Yeah that's how to make a histo table for cranking spark. Idk what that's going to do since cranking spark is 2d. Should be something like measuring eq error since the file title says cranking ve, but I doubt it works in any meaningful way. If you meant to log spark then leave the row axis blank.
    the file doesn't show any views? i was trying to match the column and row labels with that of editors cranking ve table so i could in theory just copy past special by percent half into editor from scanner too correct the lean idle before closed loop.

what is the reason for changing the transient fuel mass: evaporation, gain, and impact factor in the new tune....i don't understand how those would have changed much from a stock engine to this one?
    Last edited by JR92RS; 06-07-2023 at 09:53 AM.

Senior Tuner
    I viewed it. Yes that's how to log it, but the cranking VE table isn't being referenced during the lean portion you're talking about.

Lean spikes on tip-in. That'll change with different injectors. It's the amount of fuel that gets sprayed onto the port walls and intake valve and how long it takes to evaporate. Increases indicate that there is more fuel sprayed over a larger area. That allows the ecu to compensate for what it thinks is a commanded fuel vs actual. Think of it as lag. Rich tip-in would be transients overcompensating.
    Last edited by SiriusC1024; 06-07-2023 at 09:58 AM.

I viewed it. Yes that's how to log it, but the cranking VE table isn't being referenced during the lean portion you're talking about.

Lean spikes on tip-in. That'll change with different injectors. It's the amount of fuel that gets sprayed onto the port walls and intake valve and how long it takes to evaporate. Increases indicate that there is more fuel sprayed over a larger area. That allows the ecu to compensate for what it thinks is a commanded fuel vs actual. Think of it as lag. Rich tip-in would be transients overcompensating.
    yea i got that earlier about it not being referenced during the lean i'm talking about.
    dfco entry spark blending vs. rpm removal rate multiplier- that one is a appears too be a huge difference in this new tune....are you sure about that one?

so far the only changes i plan on making too tune are as follows (so we are on the same page upfront):

1. trans shift point dropped too 5700rpm from 6150 or whatever it was.
    2. dfco enable clutch transition>speed 255 down 1 mph from 256 because everywhere i've read say's don't use the max value as it could have unintended consequences (it even pops up a warning saying something about parameter out of range even though it is not according to settings notes at bottom of screen)

Senior Tuner
    Alright no problem. Shouldn't have any effect on what we're doing. Just getting a little bit ahead with some of that stuff. Get going on the logging when you get a chance and post the tune and log(s) files.

Senior Tuner
    Haven't heard from you in a while. Hope I didn't scare you off. Those changes to DFCO were based on the Corvette. Nice and sporty. Your tune started as a Silverado, and those settings don't really make sense for your Camaro.

Just got done with this guy's tune. Cammed car, and I tuned it for factory hybrid MAF/SD. He's pretty happy with it:
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...-on-cold-start

Trust the process. Remember me raging about the dyno tuner saying knock is too sensitive? I'm not going to break your car.

Haven't heard from you in a while. Hope I didn't scare you off. Those changes to DFCO were based on the Corvette. Nice and sporty. Your tune started as a Silverado, and those settings don't really make sense for your Camaro.

Just got done with this guy's tune. Cammed car, and I tuned it for factory hybrid MAF/SD. He's pretty happy with it:
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...-on-cold-start

Trust the process. Remember me raging about the dyno tuner saying knock is too sensitive? I'm not going to break your car.
    i appreciate all your help, but i've decided to learn this at my pace through trial and error.....and if it blows up i have no one to blame but myself.

Senior Tuner
    Hey that's alright. You've made a lot of progress, and I'm sure you'll get there. Just do me a favor. If you start getting disgusted with your project reach out for help. If you want we can set up a day and get it 100%. Don't be one of those people who sells their project or lets it sit. It's perfect cruising weather, and you have a pretty sweet ride.

i'm trying to dial in the ve table on this paid sd tune, i'm attempting to use an eq ratio table in open loop with stft & ltft's disabled. i curently have two filters in the table, one to filter out data below 180* engine coolant temp, and the second to filter out throttle positions below 7.60%

i would like to apply a filter to filter out pe enrichment, can someone look over this chart and let me know if all looks good, then post up an example of a filter for pe enrichment?

Senior Tuner
    Set PE to enable at the same TPS.

Filter for that TPS & the pressure of Min MAP enable.

PE is open loop. WB eq ratio will still be valid.

Honestly you should be doing NB's wherever possible and WB in PE zones.

Set PE to enable at the same TPS.

Filter for that TPS & the pressure of Min MAP enable.

PE is open loop. WB eq ratio will still be valid.

Honestly you should be doing NB's wherever possible and WB in PE zones.
    was trying to eliminate anything that could be skewing the eq ratio err results and dial in fueling before re-enabling everything

can anyone tell me if this throttle filter looks correct, trying to filter out anything above 30%, and below 7% throttle?
    when playing with it on a log that was monitoring throttle position....it doesn't seem to be filtering the way i intended

(([50090.156]<30)>7)

and i still could really use an example of a pe filter, that filters out all pe enrichment, this is what i was trying too use

([6069]>0)
    but on this one i'm not sure if there is a p.i.d i need to set up in the channels list?
    Last edited by JR92RS; 06-19-2023 at 10:18 AM.

Senior Tuner
    & operator:

[50090.156]<30 AND [50090.156]>7

For PE I tried to tell you. Set enable tps to be same across. 75% or so. Use tps and map enable.

[TPS]>75 AND [MAP]>80

& operator:

[50090.156]<30 AND [50090.156]>7

ok this i think i understand...i have to use the (&) symbol between the two filtering factors, and i also need to list the pid before each filter.

For PE I tried to tell you. Set enable tps to be same across. 75% or so. Use tps and map enable.

[TPS]>75 AND [MAP]>80
    i learn better with visual examples...so this i'm interpreting as [throttle position]greater than 75 & [map] greater than 80
    "Use tps and map enable." are you referring to a channel i need to open in channels list?