Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: new tuner completely lost please help

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/274424906026
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/132370243894
    You may or may not need 'top hat' spacers, just depends on how much adjustment (removing spacers, etc.) you can get with your specific rail/manifold combo. They are fairly cheap as well and readily available.

Attachment 131086

These injectors flow 50.4 lb-hr at 58 PSI. All the data is available in stock L96 tune files, it's even already been converted into Gen 3 format and posted here many many many times. Stock GM data. Real data.

You could sell the garbage Accel injectors for HALF what you paid for them, and buy TWO complete sets of these better higher-flowing injectors THAT COME WITH ALL THE DATA NEEDED. Did these injectors not come up in your last thread asking the same questions? I think they did. I think you did not read what others went to rather a lot of effort to type out for you. (yes they did come up, I just went back and checked)
    i just went back and looked, other than you there were no other reply's

And your point is?

Here's a sample of what data looks like for real aftermarket injectors. Pay special attention to the vast difference between what's in the 'PnP Standalones' tab (this is what an aftermarket ECU uses) compared to all the stuff in the GM HPT tab.

banish 1000cc(6117)48mmev14_03242022.xlsx

Aftermarket injectors without data work fine with aftermarket ECUs, because aftermarket ECUs do not use any of that fiddly data! There's nowhere to put it! Not needed! Some injector companies make injectors to work only with aftermarket ECUs (or even only with their own family of ECUs), while others (Injector Dynamics, FIConnection, FIClinic, Deatchwerks) make injectors intended to be used with factory ECMs, which need way way more data to work right. This is not a scam, it's not a trick. It's just the way the aftermarket injector world works.

I am sorry - genuinely - that you did not know this before you spent money. But now that it's in front of you, you should take it in and realize you just did not know any better, and remember this experience next time you are getting into something new. Knowing what you don't know is like 80% (or some other made-up number, I dunno!) of becoming proficient at something. Going in blind and thinking 'how hard could it be?' is a recipe for frustration, wasted money, and unnecessary anger at people who try to set you back onto the correct path.

Here's a post that might give some insight into how Gen 4 data relates to the tables used in Gen 3s, and how it gets converted:
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthread.php?98228

Quote Originally Posted by JR92RS View Post
    thank you for the reply, so are you saying even a professional tuner could not make these work?
    No because there's not enough data to make the GM computer work with them. It'll be a guessing game, waste of time, more money and possibly a blown motor if not tuned correctly. If you had a self learning computer like a Holley Terminator or similar then they would work, but for a stock GM computer it's a no go.
    02 Tahoe, Rebuilt 5.3, PRC 2.5 heads, BTR Stg2 V2 cam, 50lb Injectors, Speed Engineering LT's, Offroad Y, Magnaflow catback, Built 4L60, NP241 swap etc etc...

Senior Tuner
    There's plenty of data here to tune the injectors. I've got a couple things going on right now, but I'll post you the tune here in a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by mjc79 View Post
    No because there's not enough data to make the GM computer work with them. It'll be a guessing game, waste of time, more money and possibly a blown motor if not tuned correctly. If you had a self learning computer like a Holley Terminator or similar then they would work, but for a stock GM computer it's a no go.
    Not having data won't blow anything up - errors, even big ones, in the flow rate can be made up for by inflating/deflating the MAF/VE. It's the small pulsewidths where not having the Offset & SPA data will lead to frustration. Hard starts, bad idle, poor tip-in, too rich sometimes but then too lean other times when it seems like everything should be the same. WOT is easy with no data and it's really difficult to blow anything up when injectors are at the small PWs.

would still like to get answers to these questions:

2. would i be correct to say i'm running pig rich at idle?
    3. has the texas tuner disabled long term fuel trims, and why would he do that?
    4. with the previous question....what engine mode does he have my car running in....sd, maf, both, open loop, closed loop.....just trying to get a handle on how he tuned it?

under the fuel tab>oxygen sensor>long term fuel trims....
    ltft=disabled
    min ect= 284*
    max ect= 284*
    min map= 24.00kpa
    min learn= 200.0%
    max learn limit= 1.25
    min learn limit= 0.84
    update rate= 0.450s
    integrator rich/lean= 4.00
    Last edited by JR92RS; 04-29-2023 at 09:36 PM.

Senior Tuner
    What sort of fuel pressure regulator are you using?

i might have a problem there, the thing is i think i have 2
    the closest to the tank is an aeromotive fuel filter/regulator
    then on the ls1 style fuel rail there is a stock regulator
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Tuner
    The thing on the rail is the pressure damper. It smooths out pressure pulses from the injectors firing (water hammer effect).

What's your aeromotive reg set to?

either way the aeromotive is set to 58psi, and i figured if the stock one on the rail is set to the same it shouldn't matter

Senior Tuner
    The rail thing is a damper. It's a good idea to change it.
    https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...=1347&jsn=1347

Thanks for the pressure info. I'll keep working.
    Last edited by SiriusC1024; 04-30-2023 at 05:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SiriusC1024 View Post
    The thing on the rail is the pressure damper. It smooths out pressure pulses from the injectors firing (water hammer effect).

What's your aeromotive reg set to?
    58psi, that makes me wonder if it cant be backed down to 43.5psi or whatever the injectors were tested at?

And your point is?

Here's a sample of what data looks like for real aftermarket injectors. Pay special attention to the vast difference between what's in the 'PnP Standalones' tab (this is what an aftermarket ECU uses) compared to all the stuff in the GM HPT tab.

banish 1000cc(6117)48mmev14_03242022.xlsx

Aftermarket injectors without data work fine with aftermarket ECUs, because aftermarket ECUs do not use any of that fiddly data! There's nowhere to put it! Not needed! Some injector companies make injectors to work only with aftermarket ECUs (or even only with their own family of ECUs), while others (Injector Dynamics, FIConnection, FIClinic, Deatchwerks) make injectors intended to be used with factory ECMs, which need way way more data to work right. This is not a scam, it's not a trick. It's just the way the aftermarket injector world works.

I am sorry - genuinely - that you did not know this before you spent money. But now that it's in front of you, you should take it in and realize you just did not know any better, and remember this experience next time you are getting into something new. Knowing what you don't know is like 80% (or some other made-up number, I dunno!) of becoming proficient at something. Going in blind and thinking 'how hard could it be?' is a recipe for frustration, wasted money, and unnecessary anger at people who try to set you back onto the correct path.

Here's a post that might give some insight into how Gen 4 data relates to the tables used in Gen 3s, and how it gets converted:
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthread.php?98228
    i never went into this thinking how hard could it be.....more like well if i can at least get it to run good enough i can cruise it across town to the tuner and save $150 or more on a tow. i might consider these injectors more after i talk to the tuner and try to gauge weather or not he can tune it of he just wants my money and doesn't care how it runs.....i trust no one

The rail thing is a damper not a regulator. It's a good idea to change it.

please don't go out of your way or anything, i was just looking for pointers as to how i can trim the fuel at idle, or if from the data i have is there any way to create a ballpark characteristics for these injectors....but from what the others are saying it's not possible.

The rail thing is a damper not a regulator. It's a good idea to change it.

how many miles can be put on those dampers before they need replaced?

Read the linked .pdf here:
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthread.php?99296

If anybody thinks they found that One Weird Trick that allows deriving unknown injector data from a running engine, they're not disagreeing with me, they're disagreeing with Banish. (but then he's probably lying just because he wants to get paid amirite???//)

Read the linked .pdf here:
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthread.php?99296

If anybody thinks they found that One Weird Trick that allows deriving unknown injector data from a running engine, they're not disagreeing with me, they're disagreeing with Banish. (but then he's probably lying just because he wants to get paid amirite???//)
    so this banish guy works for a company that makes it's money by characterizing injectors....is it really such a stretch for you to see he might have an ulterior motive for putting out dissuading information that keeps people from trying to getting their injectors too a close enough running state?

Senior Tuner
    Not really. He's worked for the big 3. Still might idk. He just doesn't have the time to explain it over and over.

Not really. He's worked for the big 3. Still might idk. He just doesn't have the time to explain it over and over.
    while i have you on the line, for what purpose would a tuner set the ltft to disabled?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by JR92RS View Post
    while i have you on the line, for what purpose would a tuner set the ltft to disabled?
    Dialing in VE, among other things. LTFT will mask changes, so having it off allows for better cause-effect. Still, I've seen tuners leave LTFT off even after done. Personally, I prefer LTFT enabled on a car with your specs.