Thread: 6.0 SOTF tuning?

Potential Tuner

6.0 SOTF tuning?

Hey guys, just joined the forum to see if anyone has some advice and could help me out. I saw hp tuners started supporting the 6.0 and had the ability to do sotf tuning which would be awesome so I don't have to constantly swap between tow and street tune everytime I pull my race car trailer or fifth wheel toy hauler. So I reached out to Innovative Diesel who did my tunes in SCT back in 2020 when I did the build on my truck to see if they were offering it and they said yes. Ordered it, pulled my factory tune, sent it to them and they said I had to be on the latest strategy for it to work, so they sent me latest strategy stock tune for sct and I dropped it in with the sct then pulled that and sent it to them. They wrote the tune, sent it to me and when I loaded it, truck was a complete turd and I had no more turbo whistle. Noticed it wasn't making but 3 lbs of boost at wot, called them and they asked me to check vgt % and it's sitting open. They said they've had this issue with other trucks and are working on a fix with hp tuners. They said they would send me single tune files for now and those should work until they fix it and it's only a problem with the sotf tunes. So, I loaded one of the single tune files they sent me and that was wrong, vgt was still stuck open and no boost. So I had to drop my stock tune back in and put tune back in with my sct. This was after they had already closed yesterday, so I haven't been able to talk to them since. Anyone have any idea why it would be doing this and a fix for it so maybe I can help them out? Or should I just try to get my money back since it's not working? It would be really nice to not have to flash the truck all the time Anymore! Thanks for any help!

Banned
    what year is the truck and do you know what the strategy is they sent you?? did they send you a tune in hpt format??

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerstrokecustoms View Post
    what year is the truck and do you know what the strategy is they sent you?? did they send you a tune in hpt format??
    Truck is a 2005. They sent the hp tuners tune through the rtd+ they sent me. Not sure what the strategy is they sent, I could forward you that sct file they sent me with the updated strategy if that helps.

Do you have your stock sotf file you can post?

Potential Tuner
    I ordered their SOTF tuning two weeks ago. Last Friday I hadn?t heard anything back so I emailed asking the turnaround time on their sotf. They responded same day and said they?re having issues but will send me single files until it?s resolved. Within two hours I received 3 single tunes through TDN and tried the street and performance tunes. I had the same issue not building boost, my egts were insanely high and smoked like nothing I?d seen before. I flashed back to stock and emailed them early last week. Haven?t gotten a response back yet so just waiting

Banned
    Sounds like you have an up pipe leak or boost leak.

Sounds like you have an up pipe leak or boost leak.
    If that were true then switching tunes wouldn't fix the issue? Also being an 05 it's not a inferred EBP so why would it work on the old tune and not the new? MKF_grteg if you have you HPT file you pulled after updating to the latest strategy with your SCT if you can send me that file i'll send you a SOTF file to see if it works.

Potential Tuner
    A little update, not to hijack your thread. Idp sent me the SOTF file for my ?06 on Monday and it?s doing the exact same as you describe, won?t build more than 3 lbs of boost. Emailed them yesterday and waiting for a reply. They didn?t have me update my strategy

Quote Originally Posted by mkf_greg View Post
    A little update, not to hijack your thread. Idp sent me the SOTF file for my ?06 on Monday and it?s doing the exact same as you describe, won?t build more than 3 lbs of boost. Emailed them yesterday and waiting for a reply. They didn?t have me update my strategy
    Post the .HPT file you read out and i'll send you a SOTF file to try out.

Potential Tuner
    So I just changed to hpt, ordered idp SOTF, and initially had the same issue with no whistle, no boost, but wot would get some but not much psi.

Long story short, I read from the truck, picked it apart, swapping tables from stock back and fourth with no change. Decided to start fresh and noticed the "engine diagnostic" tab's min overboost set to 20kpa vs 0kpa(stock) and decided to change it to 0.

All of their file being the same, with just that one change brought back whistle, with moderate boost numbers, and oddly my SOTF 4 slot still had zero boost with the other slots working fine. Currently I still have an issue with max boost only being about 30 psi wot with a new stage 2 jetfire and 190/30, also egt is high and cruising around 55 mph its 750-1100*.

Maybe try that tweak while we SOTF 05+ customers get a solution? Btw, idp did send a V2 batch to me that appears to operate just as my modified file reads, with SOTF slot 4 "fixed" and they acknowledged there is an hpt sotf issue with VGT that's unresolved to date (to my knowledge).

Overall, I'm hoping for a true fix as my sct GH files absolutely STOMP this current setup which I'm unfortunately heavily invested in as my old X4 collects dust..
    Last edited by EMO_6OH; 05-21-2023 at 08:54 AM.

Banned
    how are you reading your boost. if you just picking it up off the factory obd2 then its not reading correctly. i make about 50psi of boost with that setup, but i use the cts3 and the competition kit to tap into the boost line to read the boost correctly. are you running a regulated return with lift pump?

Potential Tuner
    For me, I?m running driven diesels reg return and a fass. Also running a stage 2 kc and 190/30 sticks. I?m monitoring with a cts3 off the obd port but you can tell the vgt isn?t doing its thing and is not building boost. If I flash the powerstroke customs, TSD SPD, gearhead or Tony wildman tunes I have back on, it?s night and day and hitting 28 psi of boost easy. I could tap in a mech boost gauge I have laying around but I know it?s an issue with the tune and not mechanical. Driving with any of the SOTF ipd tunes feels very similar to driving with the vgt plug disconnected. Also, sounds like the vanes are stuck open, even under acceleration

Banned
    so the sotf tune is the only tune your having issues with?? and with every one of those tunes you have, how would you review everyone??

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by EMO_6OH View Post
    So I just changed to hpt, ordered idp SOTF, and initially had the same issue with no whistle, no boost, but wot would get some but not much psi.

Long story short, I read from the truck, picked it apart, swapping tables from stock back and fourth with no change. Decided to start fresh and noticed the "engine diagnostic" tab's min overboost set to 20kpa vs 0kpa(stock) and decided to change it to 0.

All of their file being the same, with just that one change brought back whistle, with moderate boost numbers, and oddly my SOTF 4 slot still had zero boost with the other slots working fine. Currently I still have an issue with max boost only being about 30 psi wot with a new stage 2 jetfire and 190/30, also egt is high and cruising around 55 mph its 750-1100*.

Maybe try that tweak while we SOTF 05+ customers get a solution? Btw, idp did send a V2 batch to me that appears to operate just as my modified file reads, with SOTF slot 4 "fixed" and they acknowledged there is an hpt sotf issue with VGT that's unresolved to date (to my knowledge).

Overall, I'm hoping for a true fix as my sct GH files absolutely STOMP this current setup which I'm unfortunately heavily invested in as my old X4 collects dust..
    Yeah man, this is frustrating, they sent me a fixed sotf file and I have whistle back and I'm making boost, but it's a complete turd in comparison to my tunes from them they did 3 years ago in my sct. At this point, and this really sucks, I'm chalking it up to a waste of $1000 and I'm back on my sct. It's a shame, I was really looking forward to being able to just swap between levels when I need to tow and not have to flash anymore, but this tune is a dog and makes the truck not even fun to drive, it's especially dead at part throttle, whereas driving around on the norm I'm barely ever going passed half throttle on the tunes in my sct.

Potential Tuner
    so the sotf tune is the only tune your having issues with?? and with every one of those tunes you have, how would you review everyone??
    They actually sent me the individual tunes when I had no boost and the vgt problem and the individual tunes had the same problem with the vgt, so it wasn't just the sotf tune. They've sent me individual files again to try and see if it's any better than the sotf to see if it's just a problem with it, but at this point, I'm tired of wasting time flashing back and forth between sct and hp and I feel like it's not going to be any different than the sotf tune because it wasn't before , something has to be wrong with hptuners and these trucks because my tunes from ID I'm my sct are bomb!!! I've tried ID, warren, gearhead, blessed and tsd. Of them all, the ID and the TSD are the best. I like the ID a little better just because it doesn't hold the shifts out and is a little more comfortable for daily driving but then when you put your foot down it rips! But the tsd has a little bit better part throttle acceleration, wot is almost identical between the 2.

Have you tried reading any of your sct tunes with HP and doing some comparisons? May have to manually enter the pcm type to get to read as they’re most likely locked but I was able to do this on a 6.0 truck to compare some files I had from different tuners, one had shit trans tuning compared to another tune I had, wanted to see what was different. I personally don’t do any diesel tuning, but do some gas stuff and the curiosity was killing me on those tunes.

Potential Tuner
    Yep same sentiment here. Drives like super safe canned tunes on stock injectors even when I turned on sotf #5. My reduced fuel GH file stomps it even with a ficm tune thrown in. Currently I?m working with blessed to hopefully get a working setup but im actually having a different problem with their files with driveability and low icp/ injector contribution codes from tip in to mid throttle. Thing acts like a light switch at idle then slingshots to space shuttle speed with less than 1/4 throttle.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by JaegerWrenching View Post
    If that were true then switching tunes wouldn't fix the issue? Also being an 05 it's not a inferred EBP so why would it work on the old tune and not the new? MKF_grteg if you have you HPT file you pulled after updating to the latest strategy with your SCT if you can send me that file i'll send you a SOTF file to see if it works.
    Sorry for the delay, i've been out of commission for a bit, broke my arm clean in half, been a shitty recovery. Finally pulled factory tunes. What's your email so I can send to you, won't allow me to attach here.