Thread: Newbie looking for a tuner

Potential Tuner

Newbie looking for a tuner

Howdy, newbie here. I just upgraded to a crate LS3 430HP in my 61 Impala. I had an LS1 when I built the car 12 years ago, but it was getting tired after 240,000 miles and so I got a deal and did the swap. I stayed with my LS1 computer because I wanted to use my harness. My harness is 3 feet longer as I have my computer under the driver?s seat in a sealed box. I also wanted to use my serpentine system and other stuff. So with that all said, I now need a tuner to obviously make the engine more efficient and run better. I live in Grass Valley in northern California, but can drive to Sacramento to work with the tuner. The engine has a "base" tune, meaning it runs, but needs finer configuration. I don't need mor HP, I don't drage race or auto cross. Just drive across the US. It should be noted that I am using the LS1 MAF at 84mm but the throttle body is 92mm. I also switched out the TB to cable. A guy named Mark Romans tuned the LS1 but I have not been able to get a hold of him.
    Any recommendations for a great tuner? Thanks in advance!

Senior Tuner
    Are you using a Lingenfelter converter box to run that 58X engine with a 24X PCM? I don't see how a calibration for a LS1 can possibly be running a LS3 430HP engine with out major changes even with the converter box.

Potential Tuner
    Yes on lingenfelder. Had to add converters on the fuel injectors, but that's about it. Any other suggestions?

Potential Tuner
    BTW, you have a recommendation?

Senior Tuner
    No, not in your area, but there is more to making the injectors work besides the plug converters I assume you are talking about. Those LS3 injectors flow a lot more than LS1 injectors. I wouldn't run it until the tune is changed. There are remote tuners on this forum. Check out PCM of North Carolina. His user name here is Alvin.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    No, not in your area, but there is more to making the injectors work besides the plug converters I assume you are talking about. Those LS3 injectors flow a lot more than LS1 injectors. I wouldn't run it until the tune is changed.
    I had a base tune loaded before starting the engine. Just need some fine tuning, no pun intended.