Thread: E38 ECM OPERATING SYSTEM FLASH QUESTIONS different operating systems

Tuner in Training

E38 ECM OPERATING SYSTEM FLASH QUESTIONS different operating systems

I have looked on here for couple hours and cant seem to find a answer to a question i have and really wanna know for the problem im having now and for future purposes.
    so i have a 2010 sierra that i fried the ecm to, long story, but its toast . so i called around to the local yards and only 1 had a ecm for it. and so when i hooked it up to load in
    the original file from the sierra ( thank god i do have it ) . but when i read the ecm from the yard it says its from a 2007 pontiac g6 with a 3.5.... which the operating systems are
    different.
    So , i am just trying to make sure i can write entire over the 2007 g6 file and it will work???????
    or is that not the right way ?

and so now im also wondering if this will work like this is this also possible for p01 and p59 ecms?
    so if they have different operating systems will it WORK if you just write entire over it if your just pretty much loading it for complete different vehicle anyways?

and if not do only some work with others?
    and if so how do you know what ones will?

yard swears up and down it will work just needs programmed....
    just wanna check with you guys.....
    thanks in advance

'Needs programmed' means using GM SPS. There are 8 segments in a Gen 4 ECM but HP Tuners only reads/writes 6 of them. If you put a different OS on it using HPT you'll end up with a truck OS with G6 electronic throttle segments left behind that didn't get overwritten in it and I really doubt that will work.

But, I don't think a 2007 E38 from anything is the right service number for any 2010 E38. Service numbers changed a bunch from 2005 thru 2010 and calibrations don't interchange between them, they are different hardware/different memory size/etc.

If the old one and the new one are the exact same service number, then SPS programming with the 2010 VIN will work. You need a Tech2 or MDI or other compatible J2534 programming tool and a SPS subscription.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...238+programmed

You give the seller your VIN, they SPS-flash it with that VIN, and mail it to you.

Tuner in Training
    i kind of was looking into that service off ebay, and at the same time looking into getting a tech 2 win cheap scanner tool thing that is suposed to be able to do the sps programming, cause this is not the first time i have ran into something like this and probably better to have something i can do it myself. but have you personally used the sps programming. i think its $40 for each vin just to get stock calibration files correct? there anything else that does that or thats it?

I was a GM dealership tech for around 20 years, so yeah I have used SPS. For 2010-up you will need a SPS subscription, the cracked version of software that comes with those VCX Nano things (I have one myself since I'm just a home-gamer these days) is an old offline version and doesn't support anything after 2009, which is the point in time GM stopped mailing CD-ROMs to the dealers. $40 each time you need to flash something gets expensive real quick if you aren't billing somebody else for it.

Those are great prices. I have been using Flagship One.
    https://www.fs1inc.com/?gclid=CjwKCA...hoCn7UQAvD_BwE
    I do have Techline Connect though and can do all of the factory programming of any module myself but it has been easy to use them.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by newbie1987 View Post
    i kind of was looking into that service off ebay, and at the same time looking into getting a tech 2 win cheap scanner tool thing that is suposed to be able to do the sps programming, cause this is not the first time i have ran into something like this and probably better to have something i can do it myself. but have you personally used the sps programming. i think its $40 for each vin just to get stock calibration files correct? there anything else that does that or thats it?

GM TIS SPS flashing etc.. can all be a huge pain in the ass. I don't see getting it setup for one car being worth it. even if it was free.

The software is clunky and some days you fight with it for no reason other than its having a bad day.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    GM TIS SPS flashing etc.. can all be a huge pain in the ass. I don't see getting it setup for one car being worth it. even if it was free.

The software is clunky and some days you fight with it for no reason other than its having a bad day.
    With my MDI2 and Techline Connect is seems to be pretty fast and easy. I have programmed maybe 1,000 or more different modules in my time at GM. Everything from ABS, BCM, TCCM, SIR, you name it. I don't think there is a single one I haven't programmed. My last brick was a GMC Envoy. My fault. Was doing a ABS module and decided to screw around on Fakebook with the laptop and the screen froze. Shut the ignition off and it was done. Couldn't recover. Had to get a new one.
    Only other issue was recently I was unable to Off-Board an E38 as it was a brand new never programmed PCM. I have read it need to see a serial data signal on the low speed that usually comes from the BCM. Picked up a used BCM and will be checking to see if adding it to my home made off board will get it to function with the "Replace, and Reprogram" function

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    With my MDI2 and Techline Connect is seems to be pretty fast and easy. I have programmed maybe 1,000 or more different modules in my time at GM. Everything from ABS, BCM, TCCM, SIR, you name it. I don't think there is a single one I haven't programmed. My last brick was a GMC Envoy. My fault. Was doing a ABS module and decided to screw around on Fakebook with the laptop and the screen froze. Shut the ignition off and it was done. Couldn't recover. Had to get a new one.
    Only other issue was recently I was unable to Off-Board an E38 as it was a brand new never programmed PCM. I have read it need to see a serial data signal on the low speed that usually comes from the BCM. Picked up a used BCM and will be checking to see if adding it to my home made off board will get it to function with the "Replace, and Reprogram" function
    Congrats. There are days were we can't get past the first few screens. days were we get in touch with techline support and they say it's down today and don't knw when it coming back. They update software and all of a sudden the browser wont work. Windows updates and breaks. Just all sorts of issues.. And this is a daily job for us to do a handful or more of PCM's ECM's.

Got almost 2 frustrating decades with it.. I couldn't recommend it for a newbie just to do one computer.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    Congrats. There are days were we can't get past the first few screens. days were we get in touch with techline support and they say it's down today and don't knw when it coming back. They update software and all of a sudden the browser wont work. Windows updates and breaks. Just all sorts of issues.. And this is a daily job for us to do a handful or more of PCM's ECM's.

Got almost 2 frustrating decades with it.. I couldn't recommend it for a newbie just to do one computer.
    It may be that I am using a gaming laptop and I hotspot my 5g. It downloads REAL fast. I did find an issue with Tech2Win. Was having a problem updating. Kept error'ing out. Tried a bunch of stuff until BAM If you right click and open it with "Run As Administrator" it works. Updates fast with no errors. I get the whole system down thing though. That was an issue.

(https://www.fs1inc.com for a clickable version without the nasty tracking data on the end)

Sweet Holy Jesus, those guys want $926 for a '06 E40.

discounted from $1,026 list price, what a deal

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    (https://www.fs1inc.com for a clickable version without the nasty tracking data on the end)

Sweet Holy Jesus, those guys want $926 for a '06 E40.

discounted from $1,026 list price, what a deal
    Those prices are all over the place for those. From a hundred something to $1,400. Wonder why the HUGE spread.

It does have a lifetime warranty.
    Last edited by TheMechanic; 05-01-2023 at 07:38 PM.

It's also a one-year-only part that even then was a limited use thing... GTOs, V8 Trailblazers et al. Before I built up a hoard of them I watched Ebay and snagged any of them that were under $120. I have six now.

edit: and FWD LS4 cars. Never used on non-V8s, unlike some E38 numbers that got used on everything, even when they were one-year deals.
    Last edited by blindsquirrel; 05-01-2023 at 07:45 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    It may be that I am using a gaming laptop and I hotspot my 5g. It downloads REAL fast. I did find an issue with Tech2Win. Was having a problem updating. Kept error'ing out. Tried a bunch of stuff until BAM If you right click and open it with "Run As Administrator" it works. Updates fast with no errors. I get the whole system down thing though. That was an issue.
    That and also setting it to run in compatibility mode for something like windows 7 or even XP-sp3 works wonders as well.