Thread: 3.5 ecoboost cam overlap properties

3.5 ecoboost cam overlap properties

(?20 F-150 w/ 3.5 ecoboost) I?ve been reading about how the cam overlap is used on our vehicles and doubles for EGR properties and can vary the powerband. Everything I read says that the overlap is most for the inertia properties of air flowing in/out. In theory, since we are forced induction, wouldn?t the overlap hinder perforce by cooling exhaust temperatures, increasing intake temperature, and increasing inert gases in the combustion chamber?? Is this something they use just for emissions regulations/fuel economy ratings or is there a piece to the puzzle I?m not taking into consideration? Thanks for any info.

Advanced Tuner
    NA applications, overlap is used to help extract exhaust gases from the chamber, but yes, being FI it isn't as important.
    As far as I know, overlap on the Ecoboost is mostly done just for EGR/NOx emissions reduction, and is also partly to blame for carbon buildup (though you don't have to worry much about that with split injection).

Tread lightly on the subject though, disabling EGR of any kind is a no-no and will likely get your thread deleted.

Thanks for the info. I can understand all the emissions concerns especially in these modern days. I was pretty much curious if any power could be gained by adjusting them but not trying to do anything illegal.

Advanced Tuner
    *supposedly* the cams will only run in an overlap configuration during during cruise and maybe light load (EGR event), so it shouldn't affect performance.

Cool, and like always…thanks for the response.