Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WMI on a NA motor, reasonable or wasteful?

Quote Originally Posted by SiriusC1024 View Post
    You see those two little tables about IAT spark corrections ? Those are the GAINZ you're going to get.

A water-meth kit from Snow is about the same price as a Zex nitrous kit...

Or if you want to go faster right now show me your tune.
    Which tables? You mean 45031 and 45032?

Nitrous would be fun...and this setup is easily converted if needed
    Last edited by junits15; 06-23-2023 at 11:22 AM.
    I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing

Senior Tuner
    Those are the tables. As long as IAT is under control you won't get any benefit from water-meth.

It's called boost juice for a reason. It's used to cool hot air charges coming off the compressor.

Quote Originally Posted by SiriusC1024 View Post
    Those are the tables. As long as IAT is under control you won't get any benefit from water-meth.

It's called boost juice for a reason. It's used to cool hot air charges coming off the compressor.
    Yeah I'll see how it goes. My theory is that I don't think the primary action is charge cooling, I think WMI's main advantage is absorbing heat form the combustion directly. However that's just a guess.
    Last edited by junits15; 06-24-2023 at 09:21 AM.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by junits15 View Post
    Yeah I'll see how it goes. My theory is that I don't think the primary action is charge cooling, I think WMI's main advantage is absorbing heat form the combustion directly. However that's just a guess.
    You are correct. You do not want to cool charge with water because it expands 1700 time when its converted from a liquid to a gas. You actually ideally want to direct inject it in your combustion chamber after the intake valve closes. It has a few mechanisms of action not just absorbing heat from the combustion chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by Relentless View Post
    You are correct. You do not want to cool charge with water because it expands 1700 time when its converted from a liquid to a gas. You actually ideally want to direct inject it in your combustion chamber after the intake valve closes. It has a few mechanisms of action not just absorbing heat from the combustion chamber.
    I actually found a nice paper that talks about this in great detail from 2020, you're right there is much more to this than just charge cooling. They found that injecting water is only effective at cooling the combustion, but injecting a mixture of water and methanol will directly change the combustion happening in the cylinder. Increased flame speed, and higher octane. They were able to get their motor to reach MBT without knocking.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...ngine%20knock.

The abstract and overview are free, but sometimes companies or universities will have access to science direct.

Interesting stuff for sure
    Last edited by junits15; 06-25-2023 at 12:37 PM.

In addition:

They tested a few different mixtures and found some interesting results. Namely that there is not a lot of difference between a 25%/75% methanol to water mixture and a 50%/50% methanol to water mixture.

meaning that washer fluid, which is 20% methanol is a great option (if we take this research at face value)
    Last edited by junits15; 06-25-2023 at 12:43 PM.