Thread: Fuel filter question

Tuner in Training

Fuel filter question

I'm swapping an LM7 into my 69 Camaro and I'm using the Holley 12-300 in tank pump. What micron size should I have for my in-line fuel filter?

Senior Tuner
    The C5 filter/regulator works great for swaps
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    The C5 filter/regulator works great for swaps
    As long as the fuel pump isn't too big. The only numbers I've seen put to it is a recommendation from Tanks Inc to not go over 255lph. Try it with dual 340s and your rail pressure will be 90-100psi and injectors won't be able to open.

Tuning Addict
    You have to watch out on debris too. I know it sounds stupid being a filter, but had one on a rock crawler running a custom tank with a second in line filter that had apparently been run with leaded fuel additive at some point and it clogged from the lead additive particles only it somehow was causing the regulator to stick. Would have high pressure flooding the engine one minute then be lean if you cycled the ignition. Anyway - if you have weird issues down the road - fwiw...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    As long as the fuel pump isn't too big. The only numbers I've seen put to it is a recommendation from Tanks Inc to not go over 255lph. Try it with dual 340s and your rail pressure will be 90-100psi and injectors won't be able to open.
    Anything dual pumps should have a triggered 2nd pump to avoid overheating fuel.

Those regulators will take a 340 no problem.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

But keep in mind, most people using them never even check the rail pressure, then wonder what's wrong when it won't start. Plenty of threads here like that and that's a tiny sample size, compared to all the people everywhere doing hot rod stuff.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks fellas. The 12-300 fits in the stock tank, is internally regulated for 58 psi, and has the hydramat pickup/pre-filter. I will get the 10 micron filter and will be sure to check the pressure at the rail.