Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5.7L (seq) V8: Where does Toyota hide all the torque limiting stuff. Transmission?

Potential Tuner

5.7L (seq) V8: Where does Toyota hide all the torque limiting stuff. Transmission?

Soo...
    Thus far I have only played with the engine maps on my Sequoia. I'm pretty happy with where I landed with AFRs, a little timing advance and light touches to cam phasing...
    I'm now trying to understand how an automatic transmission works within the toyota,,, and to be honest, I'm clueless...

I've read through the other documentation here, but I'm curious about where & what you would start tweaking first.... A little snappy shifts,,, a little more torque convertor lockup (I assume some mpgs to be had there??) and getting rid of any more electronic nannies would be nice...

@SlowNStock, is your guide written in an order of what to tackle first??

Tuner in Training
    Seems I accidentally deleted my message.

Following this for same answers. I?ve got my engine running great and am tuned for my 5.29 gears and tire diameter.

Looking to get my TCC to stay locked more while using cruise. It unlocks on small rolling hills, only when using cruise.

With a 19 mile commute on a quiet highway, I use cruise daily.

Tuner in Training
    For torque converter lockup:

Trans > Torque Converter > Lock Apply/Release > Output Speed vs. Throttle > Normal

Change 4th App to 1800 and 4th Rel to 1300 in all cells. Do the same for 5th and 6th.
    Do the same in AI/Cruise/Coast and Tow/Haul (if you wish). Tweak as you see fit and remember that it will still unlock when you're off throttle and coasting, even when Cruise Control is engaged.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad D. View Post
    Seems I accidentally deleted my message.

Following this for same answers. I?ve got my engine running great and am tuned for my 5.29 gears and tire diameter.

Looking to get my TCC to stay locked more while using cruise. It unlocks on small rolling hills, only when using cruise.

With a 19 mile commute on a quiet highway, I use cruise daily.
    There are a couple things in play.

The Load Limit tables (Engine -> Airflow -> Electronic Throttle -> Limits -> Torque Based -> Low/High Load) will dictate throttle behavior during cruise.

If the max throttle angle for a given requested torque is too high, it will unlock the converter and/or downshift - the tricky part is that if the throttle angle is too low it can fail to hold speed or requested torque can increase until converter unlock or downshift can meet the target (often overshooting). Ideally, this is where we would make the correction since manual inputs behave well - unfortunately, because we can't directly log requested torque, nor which table is being referenced at a given time, so it's difficult and frustrating to tune.

The other option is to simply increase the throttle required for TCC unlock. In this case, under Trans -> Torque Converter -> Lock Apply/Release, you would increase the Accelerator Pedal Position (by clicking on the underlined axis) for your cruise RPM by a nominal percentage for the appropriate gear.

For example, if we are cruising in 6th at ~2000 RPM without Tow/Haul on, we would find the axis cell in Trans -> Torque Converter -> Lock Apply/Release -> Output Speed vs. Throttle -> Normal -> 6th Rel corresponding to 2000 / 0.588 = ~3400 Output Shaft RPM, then iteratively increase it by, say, 5% until you get the lockup behavior you like. Just an FYI: the Pedal Position axis is doubled for converter lock tables in HPT, so 200% on the axis is 100% in reality.

To shortcut the process, you can pick a value that would force it to downshift prior to unlocking - we can look up the corresponding 6-5 downshift pedal position from Trans -> Shift Scheduling, look up our Output Shaft RPM, halve the pedal position value, paste that in our Rel axis, then add a nominal amount (5-10%) to that value to ensure that it will always downshift prior to unlocking the converter.

As a matter of personal preference, I like to allow for some converter unlock prior to downshift in my Normal tables as a brief unlock is a bit "nicer" than a full downshift (especially with cruise control), and it helps ensure that the TCC is unlocked prior to downshift. In Tow/Haul, I'll force a downshift prior to TCC unlock, or have TCC unlock very slightly before. The reason is fairly simple: if we're actually towing, we're not going to be using 6th (and, possibly, 5th), so 6th in Tow/Haul is effectively an intentional, dedicated selection, which means holding the converter longer isn't otherwise an issue for drivability.

There is one additional trick you can use if you haven't already, which is to lower ACIS activation and cheat more torque for lower pedal positions. Log to find the TPS required to cruise on flat ground at the highest speed you typically drive in less-than-favorable conditions (hot, humid), then set the value in Engine -> Airflow -> Charge Motion Device -> ACIS -> Zone Boundaries -> High TPS a little (2-3 degrees) higher. This will ensure that we're not cruising down the highway with it constantly active and taking the associated fuel economy penalty, but will let it activate on any hill of significance.

Quote Originally Posted by M_RED View Post
    Soo...
    Thus far I have only played with the engine maps on my Sequoia. I'm pretty happy with where I landed with AFRs, a little timing advance and light touches to cam phasing...
    I'm now trying to understand how an automatic transmission works within the toyota,,, and to be honest, I'm clueless...

I've read through the other documentation here, but I'm curious about where & what you would start tweaking first.... A little snappy shifts,,, a little more torque convertor lockup (I assume some mpgs to be had there??) and getting rid of any more electronic nannies would be nice...

@SlowNStock, is your guide written in an order of what to tackle first??
    The bit of the guide that covers trans stuff is just informational, not instructional.

In very general terms, two common steps you can take on basically anything:

1) Correcting WOT shift points.

Log a WOT pull, determine the actual WOT shift point, then adjust the appropriate cells it to match your desired target, using the below formula:

Correction Factor = Desired Shift RPM / Logged Shift RPM

So, if we logged a shift at 5800 RPM, but we want the shift to occur at 6200 RPM, we would multiply output shaft speed in the cells corresponding to WOT TPS by:

6200 / 5800 = ~1.07

2) Adjusting Shift Pressures (if available).

The stock pressure curves have some dips at moderate pressure, and bringing them up a bit gives a little crisper shift for more aggressive (but less than WOT) driving. The factory cal for later trucks (2019+) does just that for 1st and 2nd, but the same approach can be applied to other gears.

Don't go overboard, too much pressure just makes things clunky and harsh rather than meaningfully improving shifts. Personally, I prefer to leave max pressure alone.

Engine -> Torque Model -> Torque Calculation -> Optimum Torque Trans also affects shift firmness, so you can make small changes there for specific RPM/Throttle Angles.

For converter lock/unlock, you can follow the above guidelines regarding tuning via Pedal Position axis. I would start with Release as there's usually more room for improvement there and it's more forgiving all around. Fine tuning Apply can be a bit more finnicky because there are more, competing conditions where we may or may not want to enter converter lock for a given RPM/TPS combination, and we don't have some of the advantages that, say, an 8HP or 10R equipped vehicle does when it comes to the strategy of locking up early and often - using converter multiplication is a bit more valuable for us and the tradeoff of fuel economy for drivability is more favorable.

RE: Torque Management:

While popular, ditching a bunch of Torque Management (TM), especially on upshifts, isn't especially productive - I actually increase it in quite a few places along with allowing for more timing to be pulled (Engine -> Spark -> Advance -> Minimum Spark -> Min Final/Base), in part to offset the increased line pressure per above - but the stock tables certainly leave room for improvement.

How noticeable TM is will depend in part on the shift schedule: the more that output shaft torque changes across the shift, the more it's noticeable. If output shaft torque is held constant across the shift, we're really just using TM to help slow down the engine, so we have the opportunity for some very smooth shifts without appreciably sacrificing acceleration - that's a big part of why I reference targeting 100% output shaft torque retention for much of the shift schedule in some of my other posts.

Tuner in Training
    Holy smokes! That?s a heluva response; much appreciated!!!

I?ll pick through all of that when I haven?t had a couple cocktails with dinner?

Tuner in Training
    Brilliant and educational as always!

Potential Tuner
    I love this forum, and I love you guys! That was super helpful.. I'll be trying this stuff this afternoon!

Tuner in Training
    I pretty much bookmark what SlowNStock posts...

Tuner in Training
    Got stuck on a house fire for a few hours after work today, and just got home. I?ll bring my MPVI3 to work tomorrow and dick around with the TCC tune on the clock. I?m spent for the night.

Tuner in Training
    OK. Quick question for clarity, @SlowNStock.

I've done this (copy/paste from your explanation):
    For example, if we are cruising in 6th at ~2000 RPM without Tow/Haul on, we would find the axis cell in Trans -> Torque Converter -> Lock Apply/Release -> Output Speed vs. Throttle -> Normal -> 6th Rel corresponding to 2000 / 0.588 = ~3400 Output Shaft RPM, then iteratively increase it by, say, 5% until you get the lockup behavior you like. Just an FYI: the Pedal Position axis is doubled for converter lock tables in HPT, so 200% on the axis is 100% in reality.

It's close to my situation, just off a couple hundred RPM. At 60, I am turning ~1,800 in 6th. (34" tires with 5.29 gears)
    In the cell that represents 64% pedal position, I multiplied by 1.05 which gives me a new (pink cell) value of 3,125. Is this the ONLY cell I should be modifying in this table?

Since my main issue is when using Cruise, will this change how it performs? It looks like I only have tables in the AI/Cruise/Coast section for up to 5th gear. For grins, I found my 5th gear rpm for 60 mph by 1,800/0.588x0.72=2,204. Found the closest cell and multiplied by 1.05.

Forgive my apprehension; this is my first time. Please be gentle! LOL.

Your help and input is fantastic. I've been too scared to try to figure this part out, so thank you!

I'm just smart enough to keep a log of each change that I make, as well as never overwriting a file. I always "save-as" so I can easily go back one revision if it's not what I want.
    Last edited by Chad D.; 05-16-2023 at 09:14 AM.

OK. Quick question for clarity, @SlowNStock.

I've done this (copy/paste from your explanation):

It's close to my situation, just off a couple hundred RPM. At 60, I am turning ~1,800 in 6th. (34" tires with 5.29 gears)
    In the cell that represents 64% pedal position, I multiplied by 1.05 which gives me a new (pink cell) value of 3,125. Is this the ONLY cell I should be modifying in this table?

Since my main issue is when using Cruise, will this change how it performs? It looks like I only have tables in the AI/Cruise/Coast section for up to 5th gear. For grins, I found my 5th gear rpm for 60 mph by 1,800/0.588x0.72=2,204. Found the closest cell and multiplied by 1.05.

Forgive my apprehension; this is my first time. Please be gentle! LOL.

Your help and input is fantastic. I've been too scared to try to figure this part out, so thank you!

I'm just smart enough to keep a log of each change that I make, as well as never overwriting a file. I always "save-as" so I can easily go back one revision if it's not what I want.
    No need to be scared or worried about tuning converter lock, you can't really cause any sudden failure - the worst that will happen is you find out a revision locks too soon or holds lock too long and lugs the engine, but you just ease off a bit in the next in that case. Flex lockup is a little trickier, but you're still not going to cause a sudden failure (Toyota does some very goofy stuff with flex without issue).

It will still reference the 6th Rel table in cruise, the AI/Cruise/Coast is a separate table that can be referenced when a specific gear is selected in those conditions - in general, they are going to be similar to, or the same as, the Normal pattern.

You have the correct column, but you want to modify the axis value (64%), not the table value (2976). In this case, the axis is already in units of (%), so we can simply add directly to it.

Before:

TCC Release - Before.PNG

After:

TCC Release - After.PNG

By increasing the axis value, we're basically increasing how far the throttle can open at a given RPM before the converter unlocks. In this case, adding 5%, because of the axis being double actual throttle angle, we're saying that you should be able to apply 2.5% more pedal position before unlocking the converter.

By increasing the table value, we're increasing the RPM point where the converter unlocks at a given throttle angle. In that case, we're saying we want to unlock with ~5% more RPM which has the same effect as decreasing pedal position required to unlock the converter for a given RPM, making it more prone to unlocking, rather than less.

Modifying the axis rather than the table can seem odd, since we are usually doing just that elsewhere, but the change itself is very intuitive. The reason for that is engine (or vehicle) speed where it's unlocking is very easy to identify, and it's quite natural to say something to the effect of, "At 2000 RPM it unlocked too soon, I want about 10% more pedal position before it does". We would just go find the ~2000 RPM cell, then add 20% to the pedal position axis value (because the axis is doubled), and it will be nearly exactly what we expected.

The opposite is not true; it's basically impossible to casually know pedal position with any precision, and it's even more contrived to say something like, "I was driving at 35% pedal position when it unlocked too soon, I want it to unlock 200 RPM lower at that pedal position". Very difficult to think in those terms, especially to do so quickly.

Tuning like this, we are focusing in on the "problem children" - in this case, unlocking too soon at 60 MPH - then testing and see if it impacts anything else unfavorably. In this case, that may very well be the only cell you need to change; but, if you find another spot that has a problem, you can repeat the process at that RPM, ad infinitum.

I really recommend doing all trans tuning (shift scheduling, torque converter, torque management) using simple, round numbers for RPM, keeping them fixed, and doing all tuning using TPS. Takes a bit of setup up front, but makes the process FAR easier down the line.

For reference, here's a snippet from the TCC Release worksheet from my trans tool:

Trans Tool Output Example.PNG

Note that the RPM values are very easy to remember, have fairly uniform steps, and are consistent between gears; I never have to actually convert to know what the Output Shaft RPM is in terms of Engine RPM, I can easily look it up by peeking at the 4th gear (1:1) table. That snippet also shows an example of using performance criteria to calibrate the transmission, but that's way beyond the scope of this post...

Once the final output is loaded in HPT, it's much easier to work with than the stock values. Note that I don't endorse using those pedal position numbers, as they're specific to that tune which has quite a few other changes that make them work.

TCC Release - Example RPM Breaks.PNG

Tuner in Training
    Wow, this is going to be cool to tinker with.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Wynnded View Post
    Wow, this is going to be cool to tinker with.
    Agreed. The info that @SlowNStock is sharing here is awesome! I've already rewritten my TCC unlock pattern and will flash it as soon as I can. His explanation of how these updates should affect the TCC control is super helpful.

Tuner in Training
    I think I'm getting closer, no doubt because of the awesome help and insight provided on this forum.

I've added a little at a time to the TRANS>TORQUE CONVERTER>LOCK APPLY/RELEASE>OUTPUT SPEED vs. THROTTLE>NORMAL>6TH REL accelerator pedal position value. I did the same for 5th and 4th. Took me a few revisions by adding another 5-10% at a time, but it's pretty good now.

Not perfect, so I'm going to try the following. Would love to hear your thoughts...

TRANS>SHIFT SCHEDULING>ON-POWER>NORMAL>6-5, 5-4, & 4-3
    I increased the accelerator pedal position values by 10% across the board. My hope here is to hold the top gears a touch longer before downshifting. While the TCC is behaving better, it still just feels like it wants to downshift and hunt a little too much...

Gonna go flash it now, will test drive on my way to the office in the morning, and will report back as soon as I get back on here!
    Last edited by Chad D.; 06-18-2023 at 11:19 PM.

Tuner in Training
    @SlowNStock, I may have misinterpreted some of your info.

I made all of my TCC release changes in the NORMAL tables. Do I need to copy those changes into the AI/CRUISE tables also?

@SlowNStock, I may have misinterpreted some of your info.

I made all of my TCC release changes in the NORMAL tables. Do I need to copy those changes into the AI/CRUISE tables also?
    Generally, any change I make to the Normal table, I also apply to the AI/Cruise table.

The opposite isn't always true, specifically allowing lockup in lower gears in AI/Cruise.

Tuner in Training
    Ah, copy. I did misinterpret some things earlier on?

I?ll go back and revise!

Edit: I just tried to figure this out, but there is not a table for 6th gear TCC work in the AI/CRUISE/COAST section...TRANS>TORQUE CONVERTER>LOCK APPLY/RELEASE>OUTPUT SPEED vs. THROTTLE>NORMAL gives me options for 2nd-6th gears apply and release.

TRANS>TORQUE CONVERTER>LOCK APPLY/RELEASE>OUTPUT SPEED vs. THROTTLE>AI/CRUISE/COAST has options for only 2nd-5th gears apply and release.

Since my trouble is keeping the TCC locked in 6th gear while using Cruise, where would I make changes? As mentioned above, I have been doing it in TRANS>TORQUE CONVERTER>LOCK APPLY/RELEASE>OUTPUT SPEED vs. THROTTLE>NORMAL. I still see TCC release in 6th gear Cruise when coming up to an incline.

For testing, I turned off cruise this morning on my typical commute. Approached the incline that regularly causes 6th gear Cruise TCC release. Maintaining constant speed was easy with the TCC locked. I was able to apply more throttle input and had nice acceleration with the TCC remaining locked in 6th gear. This appears to only be a Cruise related issue, and I am unable to find the table that should be adjusted!
    Last edited by Chad D.; 06-22-2023 at 12:40 PM.

Ah, copy. I did misinterpret some things earlier on?

I?ll go back and revise!

Edit: I just tried to figure this out, but there is not a table for 6th gear TCC work in the AI/CRUISE/COAST section...TRANS>TORQUE CONVERTER>LOCK APPLY/RELEASE>OUTPUT SPEED vs. THROTTLE>NORMAL gives me options for 2nd-6th gears apply and release.

TRANS>TORQUE CONVERTER>LOCK APPLY/RELEASE>OUTPUT SPEED vs. THROTTLE>AI/CRUISE/COAST has options for only 2nd-5th gears apply and release.

Since my trouble is keeping the TCC locked in 6th gear while using Cruise, where would I make changes? As mentioned above, I have been doing it in TRANS>TORQUE CONVERTER>LOCK APPLY/RELEASE>OUTPUT SPEED vs. THROTTLE>NORMAL. I still see TCC release in 6th gear Cruise when coming up to an incline.

For testing, I turned off cruise this morning on my typical commute. Approached the incline that regularly causes 6th gear Cruise TCC release. Maintaining constant speed was easy with the TCC locked. I was able to apply more throttle input and had nice acceleration with the TCC remaining locked in 6th gear. This appears to only be a Cruise related issue, and I am unable to find the table that should be adjusted!
    PM me your latest file, and I will take a look this weekend.

Tuner in Training
    Ok! Thanks once again to SlowNStock for the huge help! Got the new revision loaded in and so far it feels great. I won?t hit my nemesis hill till Sunday morning, so will report back again after that.

Tuner in Training
    Following up after some assistance from our resident Tundra HP Tuners guru, SlowNStock.

My 6th gear TCC releasing issue is no longer! With his help, my TCC remains locked in 6th gear right till the transmission wants to drop into 5th gear. This shift is still nice and smooth! Some additional tuning was done in the ACIS control area, and I think it's good. Not 100% sure how to tell with the logging I have done if the ACIS is active when cruising, because TPS is read in percentage, while ACIS command is in degrees... I may need to tweak that a fuzz after watching fuel burn for a bit.

I'll be towing a lot over the next two weeks, as we're leaving for a road trip with the RV. I don't use 6th at all when towing, so I'll see how she does with the 5-4 downshift and 5th gear TCC release points. May need a little fine tuning there, but I am having a tough time comparing the 6th TCC release/6-5 shift tables to the 5th TCC release/5-4 shift tables. I think I may need to wiggle around in the 5th TCC release, but will know fer sure soon...

If I haven't said it before, this place rocks and I love love love my HP Tuner... Drivability is so much better than it was when the truck was brand new and had them little tires.