Thread: lifelong mechanic but newbie to tuning ls gen 3 timing question

Tuner in Training

Red face lifelong mechanic but newbie to tuning ls gen 3 timing question

i have a gen3 6.0 and was wonderng why the stock tming is allowing for 60 deg og ignition timing seems way to high i have crossed refrenced it with several stock files and it seem normal there but....seems like it would cause havic any help would be appreciated

Tuner
    Well the timing maps aren't an absolute and I'm going to guess that anything showing close to 60 is in the upper right hand corner (never going to be referenced) side of the map.

With datalogging, you will begin to understand how the ignition timing and fueling maps are used. Couple this with learning how to use histograms and you will figure out the areas of fuel/ignition maps that are of importance and under what conditions they come into play (idle/cruise/heavy load etc)
    Current toy- 97 SCSB OBS chevy forged 6.0/4l80 combo with a bit of boost..currently back under the knife

To many previous vehicles to list

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    40-60 on decel is not uncommon
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by toyoguru View Post
    Well the timing maps aren't an absolute and I'm going to guess that anything showing close to 60 is in the upper right hand corner (never going to be referenced) side of the map.

With datalogging, you will begin to understand how the ignition timing and fueling maps are used. Couple this with learning how to use histograms and you will figure out the areas of fuel/ignition maps that are of importance and under what conditions they come into play (idle/cruise/heavy load etc)
    I completely agree with this statement. When i first started to tune i asked the same question about the timing tables. after watching histograms for awhile and doing several pulls at different loads and RPMs, timing and fueling tables made a lot more sense to me.