Thread: 2019 RAM 1500 5.7L DT - Needing a little help

2019 RAM 1500 5.7L DT - Needing a little help

So it's been since the 90's since I did any tuning and it was on Mazda Rotaries so I'm kind of learning everything again.

I have a new body style ram which I just installed some Stainless Works Long tube headers on. The truck also has a K&N CAI from the previous owner, and I swapped out the muffler for a Flowmaster FlowFX kit that essentially just replaces the muffler and uses the rest of the OE stuff, and a catch can.

So I've been getting a Bank 2 Cat efficiency code, since the headers. Below are the changes I've made to correct for this.

Engine - Fuel - Oxygen Sensors - Feedback - Closed loop Enable - Enable Delay (entire table) X 1.4
    Engine - Fuel - Oxygen Sensors - Feedback - Closed loop Enable - Enable Delay Rear (entire table) X 1.5

My understanding is this should lengthen the time for the sensors to heat up for proper function.

Engine - Fuel - Oxygen Sensors -Transport Delay - 02 Bank 1 Airflow Delay (entire table) X 1.5
    Engine - Fuel - Oxygen Sensors -Transport Delay - 02 Bank 2 Airflow Delay (entire table) X 1.5

My understanding is this should make up for the additional distance for the sensor since the headers take it further down the exhaust stream.

And I also adjusted: Engine - Airflow - Electronic Throttle - Ramp Rate - upped it from 0.020 to 0.050 (Trying to play with the throttle response)

The truck is my everyday driver when I'm home, I have several other Mods I intend to do but the overall goal is to pass emissions here in TX and see some benefit from tunning.

My questions:

1 - Should I have just increased the temperature on the 02's or do a combination of both?

2 - The Transport Delay - I can't seem to find how to figure the math on this delay. Say the original sensor was 7"'s away and the new one is 14"'s away, Double the time or figure the percentage of change and use that for the multiplier? Also does the wired extension play into this number since the length of wire is now longer.

3 - Neural Network - Seems like this is best to leave on since it helps to clean up the little stuff.

4 - Wideband sensor - Which side is best for it or do I need to do both? Really didn't have this issue with 2 rotors lol some not sure here.

I'll start with the above, I do have plenty more questions.

The changes you've made are correct. The other thing you need to take into account is the fact that IF you have hi flow cats the O2's don't respond the same way so that may through the cat efficiency code. For this reason I have not made any further adjustments, but I've discussed this with other tuners and they've told me that increasing your transport delay by 5-10% at a time might help till you get no codes. I personally haven't tried it and have the DTC's turned off (for "off road use" of course).

You would only turn off the Neural Network if you have a cam installed with a phaser lock out. On or off though I don't think it will matter in TX. I'm running NN and then using a Neural Network Trainer to dial in the fuel. It will make the vehicle run better to me then Speed Density.

I use the AEM OBDII wideband and I have it plugged into the drivers side rear.

I also haven't had any issues with my setup in TX.

Quote Originally Posted by vndetta79 View Post
    The changes you've made are correct. The other thing you need to take into account is the fact that IF you have hi flow cats the O2's don't respond the same way so that may through the cat efficiency code. For this reason I have not made any further adjustments, but I've discussed this with other tuners and they've told me that increasing your transport delay by 5-10% at a time might help till you get no codes. I personally haven't tried it and have the DTC's turned off (for "off road use" of course).

You would only turn off the Neural Network if you have a cam installed with a phaser lock out. On or off though I don't think it will matter in TX. I'm running NN and then using a Neural Network Trainer to dial in the fuel. It will make the vehicle run better to me then Speed Density.

I use the AEM OBDII wideband and I have it plugged into the drivers side rear.

I also haven't had any issues with my setup in TX.
    Thank you!

Questions

1. The 02 Banks (Bank1 , Bank2) are these divided the following?
    A. Drivers side 4 cylinders = Bank1 and Passenger side 4cyl = Bank2?
    B. Precat 02 Sensors = Bank1 and After Cat 02 sensors = Bank2?

2. I'm looking at using the AEM Wide bands in the Precat Bungs either side. Can they be setup to provide both the Narrow Band output for the OEM need as well as the Wideband output? I'm trying to have to keep from adding another set of bungs.

Advanced Tuner
    1a. yes, *as long as its not a ford

1b. no, s1 = front s2 = rear

2. i wanted to do the same but got talked outta it cuz supposedly others had issues
    Last edited by LilSick; 05-17-2023 at 01:18 PM.

I'm pretty sure that you will need your 2 pre-cat narrowbands (B1S1 & B1S2) for close loop fuelling. I'm sure someone will correct me if that's not right, but my AEM wideband is installed in B1S2 location. It's been there for a few months while play around with VVT settings.

Installing the wideband really only serves a purposed for datalogging and/or having a dash mounted gauge. Only the hellcats run factory widebands, and I've heard of some SRT Jeeps with widebands. Your engine harness wouldn't be setup to accept widebands for the PCM. Realistically, if you tune your fuelling right with the wideband you won't really need it after that, unless you're racing and want to monitor your AFR during a run. I've also run the wideband in the tailpipe tuning and it's not that much different to the reading behind the cat.

Quote Originally Posted by LilSick View Post
    1a. yes, *as long as its not a ford

1b. no, s1 = front s2 = rear

2. i wanted to do the same but got talked outta it cuz supposedly others had issues
    Thanks for the answer.

I think I might have swapped the Bank2 Front and Rear by accident at install, so I swapped them over and have not since had a code. So I'm hoping that was my issue.

I'm pretty sure that you will need your 2 pre-cat narrowbands (B1S1 & B1S2) for close loop fuelling. I'm sure someone will correct me if that's not right, but my AEM wideband is installed in B1S2 location. It's been there for a few months while play around with VVT settings.

Installing the wideband really only serves a purposed for datalogging and/or having a dash mounted gauge. Only the hellcats run factory widebands, and I've heard of some SRT Jeeps with widebands. Your engine harness wouldn't be setup to accept widebands for the PCM. Realistically, if you tune your fuelling right with the wideband you won't really need it after that, unless you're racing and want to monitor your AFR during a run. I've also run the wideband in the tailpipe tuning and it's not that much different to the reading behind the cat.
    Well, I went ahead and pulled the trigger for a pair of the AEM 30-0300's to put in on either side, I'm sure it's over kill, but I really prefer the idea of monitoring each side of the motor.

Now to figure out how to add in my two exhaust cutouts and the sensor bungs.

Advanced Tuner
    I'm pretty sure that you will need your 2 pre-cat narrowbands (B1S1 & B1S2) for close loop fuelling.
    he meant B1S1 & B2S1

or he meant to further confuse , )