Thread: 2006 6.0 ECM read help

Potential Tuner

2006 6.0 ECM read help

I have a 2006 6.0 truck that I am trying to read. The TCM and FICM are able to be read. I am not able to read the ECM.

When reading the FICM, the warning was displayed that the truck has a tune so a template was provided.

I tried all of the Green Oak selections in the Hardware drop down for ECM without luck. Does any one have any suggestions?

The truck is tuned, probably by a module. Runs terrible, I would like to read the ECM so I can modify both the ECM and FICM to my liking.

I have seen this a couple times and if I?m not mistaken if the ecm IS in fact tuned by another device they probably used a strategy code protection/masking. If that?s the case HPT won?t read it because it doesn?t recognize the strategy code.

More than likely you?ll have to have it flashed back to factory tune and start over.

As for the FICM, it is not readable so when you ?read? it HPT give you a stock download for that FICM strategy.

Potential Tuner
    OK, so I need to obtain a stock file from somewhere, I will do some looking.

And, correct, the FICM is tuned so a stock template was provided. I can modify it and flash it on, which is no big deal.

What Hardware do I select to read the ECM? Green Oak 512?

I would say it needs to be flashed with IDS to the stock file.

I can?t remember if yours is green oak or black oak. My 03 EX is a black oak 448k that?s what I?m more skilled in

Potential Tuner
    What is IDS?

Fords oem diag tool/programming. If you have a j2534 interface you can program using fdrs/fjds software. We use a pass thru pro 3 for programming oem stuff.

Banned
    whats it say for the strategy on the ecu??

Potential Tuner
    I returned the ECM back to stock. The truck has custom tunes loaded on to a CTS 3. However, I tried every strategy and cannot read the ECM. Several attempts resulted in a no crank, no start.

Where can I obtain a stock ECM file with FICM for a 2006 King Ranch Crew Cab Short Bed 6.0 Powerstroke with automatic transmission?

Banned
    whats the strategy of the pcm that hpt is seeing?? or use the cts3 to get the ecu strategy

Potential Tuner
    OK, bit of an update. I perused this forum and found a stock file for an 06 that a guy posted.

I tried to license and flash the stock file on, however I cannot as the VIN in the file that I downloaded from this forum does not match the VIN of the truck.

I then tried to read the ECM, TCM and FICM. For ECM I selected Green Oak 512k. The ECM has OS HFCKIDP. I am able to read the ECM, TCM and FICM. However, after the read, I receive the error "You've been supplied a stock file because the control module is not readable". However, when I open the file, I receive the error "Validate Check Failed. You will be unable to save or flash this file." A second error then pops up that "Definition file failed to load, you will be unable to edit this file, please e-mail to HPT".

I am wondering if I have an issue with the ECM. I would like to flash this truck back to stock. The tunes that are on the CTS are garbage.

Banned
    so the truck has a tune from innovative diesel in it. the strategy is masked making it have a checksum error. if you send me an email, i can make you a stock file with your vin and send it to you to flash into the truck.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerstrokecustoms View Post
    so the truck has a tune from innovative diesel in it. the strategy is masked making it have a checksum error. if you send me an email, i can make you a stock file with your vin and send it to you to flash into the truck.
    Thank you!

What is your email address?

Banned

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerstrokecustoms View Post
    Email sent