Thread: lean everywhere except idle

Tuner

lean everywhere except idle

good morning all. i have a 4.8 4l60 swapped into an 88 grand wagoneer. shorty headers 2.5 y pipe to 3" exhaust out the back, maf at end of intake tube with filter attached(i know shitty setup).
    it is extremely lean everywhere. running in SD only and Maf only.running SD its reasonable
    no exhaust leaks and no audible or sprayed intake leaks found. adjustable fuel pressure regulator with no reference line.
    code set for maf disable and set to 5htz, high rpm disable 8k and reset fuel trims.

should i move the maf up the tube further or just tune for it?
    any thoughts to check before i start adjusting tables?

thanks for your time.

pic of maf locationAttachment 131638
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by shtboxyj; 05-12-2023 at 09:33 AM.

Senior Tuner
    Move the MAF way up the tube then right into the trash. Do a proper SD tune.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by shtboxyj View Post
    good morning all. i have a 4.8 4l60 swapped into an 88 grand wagoneer. shorty headers 2.5 y pipe to 3" exhaust out the back, maf at end of intake tube with filter attached(i know shitty setup).
    it is extremely lean everywhere. running in SD only and Maf only.running SD its reasonable
    no exhaust leaks and no audible or sprayed intake leaks found. adjustable fuel pressure regulator with no reference line.
    code set for maf disable and set to 5htz, high rpm disable 8k and reset fuel trims.

should i move the maf up the tube further or just tune for it?
    any thoughts to check before i start adjusting tables?

thanks for your time.

pic of maf locationAttachment 131638
    What else have you done to this engine? Cam or compression changed?
    What intake and do you still have stock fuel rials?
    What is the fuel pressure set at?
    Was this basically just a modern power plant swap?

You have to upload the pic of MAF the same as the tune files BTW.

Advanced Tuner
    Here is an updated channel list.
    Save the current list you are using and maybe try this one. You need the Dynamic airflow channel and look how these are organized into groups. This is for idle and fuel tuning not tranny or anything else. Gen 3 can only log about 25 channels for fastest data. There is 40 on here! so to slim them down we need to look at 1 issue at a time. You can get rid of the idle stuff, but keep idle desired, cracker, and follower though for driving fuel tuning.
    Do you have a WB? If so add the channel between the AFR and Lambda channels.

You are not flex fuel so E10% is what most US gas stations have.

Try this tune and see how the trims react.
    It is the basic tune posted with minor update, you will need to set for the fuel mode you want to tune. VE or MAF ok.
    You were getting some Burst knock which is good rather than Knock retard, but this tune posted was set for MAF only tune, and that usually limits to high octane only and VE is Low octane only table references. 1 reason to copy high to low table.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner
    yes just stock engine, stock rails, injectors. only modifications were the exhaust and intake. regulator set around 58-59
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tuner
    i do have a wideband but was just gonna use trims for driveability for now.

Where do people keep finding the info telling them to put MAF Fail High at anything other than zero? Who's spreading this BS?

Tuner
    blind squirrel ive always done it that way so its not at the low limit or outside parameter.
    anyhow i changed stoich and added a few percent and everything is showing good. pulling about 3 %everywhere.

Please tell me a scenario where 0 Hz won't work. It works for everything, whether MAF is totally removed or still in place and plugged in and only failed for forcing SD. You want the MAF failed, make it as easy as it can be to fail as fast as possible.

If 1 Hz is better than 0, why not 10? Or 150? Come on.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Please tell me a scenario where 0 Hz won't work. It works for everything, whether MAF is totally removed or still in place and plugged in and only failed for forcing SD. You want the MAF failed, make it as easy as it can be to fail as fast as possible.

If 1 Hz is better than 0, why not 10? Or 150? Come on.
    I hear you.. It makes sense..

But I've been using 1 for decades now and no issues. so.. is what it is..
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

What's the frequency on the MAF signal line when there's no MAF installed?

Senior Tuner
    0... I"m still going to use 1

Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

If the MAF is still there and plugged in that works just fine. Why not use one that works for everything. I hope you get one, like I did, that will show 'MAF Fail' and set the codes but not be in SD when using the commonly recommended 2 Hz/1 Hz (Gen 4). Only started working right when I changed it to 0 Hz/0 Hz.