Thread: Basic 10r80 questions

Potential Tuner

Basic 10r80 questions

I've had a few successes tuning my trans on my 2019 F150. Shift blackout, some skip shift behavior. I'm new to tuning transmissions like this, although I have a bit of engine tuning and calibration experience. I bought the Tuning School book and read all of it except the 6r parts. I've read every thread even remotely related multiple times. I've downloaded many relevant HPT files and studied and compared them. But I am still stuck, and I'm stuck on what seems to be some really basic stuff.

Trans Upshift Torque Modulation Desired tables. I can't figure out the logic. The book says "Increase the table by 25%" in a effort to minimize the spark (torque) cut during shifts. This may be backwards for my trans, or just plain backwards. Rigt now I am specifically trying to fix a uncharacteristically harsh 4-5 upshift at light and medium throttle. What exactly is the number in the table? Looking at a stock 2019 Raptor I see a lot of lower numbers in the parts of the table I want to edit. To add additional confusion there are also negative numbers in those tables. I logged spark advance and I can see that the 4-5 shift has almost no spark cut compared to other shifts at the same APP. Spark source changes to "torque control" for a short 4 samples.

Finally the HP tuners Trans Upshift Torque Modulation Desired tables show Turbine Torque and Turbine Speed as the axes. I cannot find Turbine Torque in VCM Scanner so I can log it to find the part of the table I need to edit. Is there another torque that is comparable? I find 4 other readings in ftlbs, but not one of them exactly match before, during, or after the 4-5 shift.

Any advice is appreciated.

Turbine is your RPM - just get an idea how torque converter works. Use Brake Tq.

As for the tq modulation if you have 900Nm commanded on 900Nm row it should not cut or cut just a little.

Potential Tuner
    I could only attach two of the four images. Remining ones are in this post.

4_5 harsh shift.png
    4_5 shift modulation table.png
    Attached Images Attached Images

Potential Tuner
    veeefour, thank you for the answer to my question. I have attached 4 images. One shows a VCM Scanner of the 2-3 upshift. The torque is cut (via) spark, but the numbers don't match the 2-3 upshift torque modulation table. An image of the VCM 2-3 upshift table is the other 2-3 image.

For now I am trying to fix an uncharacteristically harsh 4-5 shift. I can see very little spark dip (in log). I can also see a very small torque dip (EBT). By small I mean small in comparison to the other shifts on the same test with the same conditions.

I have attached two images for the 4-5 shift. One is the VCM scanner playback of the 4-5 shift with EBT (engine torque). The values also do not match the associated upshift 4-5 modulation table. I am still confused. If I edit the upshift tables I do not get a response in EBT that correlates to the changes I am making.

I understand this is a fast dynamic situation and numbers may not exactly match. However, I have zero confidence right now in editing the tables shown. When I compare my tune to a much more aggressive 10r80 tune the exact same tables have much smaller and even sometimes negative numbers. Since I can't actually even log the real Turbine Torque, I'm not even sure I'm editing the correct cell(s) in the ediitor.

2_3 shift modulation table.png
    2_3 shift.png

Advanced Tuner
    I can teach. U for 250. Or just give a tune.