Thread: Programming Credits question about changing out TCM after programming ECU

Tuner in Training

Programming Credits question about changing out TCM after programming ECU

I am new to this. I am trying to learn and I'm afraid I may need to pay a "stupid tax" because I didn't know any better.

I'm currently swapping a 2016 L83/8L90 into a Jeep Wrangler. I applied 2 credits the current E92 ECU and made some changes to it so I could start the engine. When I applied the credits to the ECU I had the wrong TCM connected to the vehicle. The TCM was for a Allison transmission. The T87 TCM is used for both the Allison and the 8L90. I didn't know at the time. I never tried writing to the TCM.

I now have the correct TCM ordered and it should be here this week. Will I need to apply more credits to tune the new TCM even though I never wrote to the wrong one? Are the ECU and TCM tied/linked together under the credits somehow or did I get lucky and can just put the correct TCM in and write to it under the same ECU credits?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Probably not, if you only applied 2 credits so far that was likely just for the E92 ecm. There are only a handful of TCM's that even require credits to license. The T87 is not one of them.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for taking the time to reply!

For anyone else who stumbles across this in the future, I was indeed able to make changes to the new TCM after I received it and I didn't need to use any credits to do so.