Thread: 2016 F150 18 Intake manifold

Tuner in Training

Post 2016 F150 18 Intake manifold

Hey yall i have an 16 F150 with a 5.0 L coyote stock injectors stock headers. it has an air intake and an 18 Intake mustang manifold with the IMRCs locked open . the truck is dialed in perfect for fueling spark is at 24-26 degrees of timing on 91. but it still feels a little lazy mid range and high RPMS. ive logged it theres no signs of knock retard and torque reduction maybe i missed something ? i changed all the torque tables to the appropriate torque it should be reading. but it just seems its being held by an anchor mid range and upper range. Any help would be great ive attached the tune please let me know if you guys find a torque limiter i missed or something thank you in advance!!
    Cody Curtis truck F150 18 intake manifold final tune.hpt

Advanced Tuner
    The truck manifold is designed to give a torque bump in the midrange area. The 18 up truck manifold is far better than the 18 up GT manifold in the off idle to 6500 range. The 18 truck will pull to 7000.

Pair that with the truck cams and the GT manifold falls on it's face.

I've run the 18 up truck manifold on the GT and it is faster than the GT350 manifold below 6500. The 18 up GT and the VooDoo manifolds are pretty close in performance and with the 6R80's gear spread you are losing to the 18 up truck manifold, especially on a truck.

If you have the A10 then the GT or VooDoo manifold works best.

Advanced Tuner
    I would open the intake cam at -20 from 2000 to 4500 I'd run the exhaust cam at 20 from 1000 to 4000 then 15 to 7500. Might drop it to 10 this would have to be tested.

Should help

Tuner in Training
    I do still have the factory VCT cam angles set. i will do the changes and see how the truck acts thank you !

Tuner in Training
    how is it so far?

Tuner in Training
    Sorry about the late response I didn’t have the truck over the weekend. But I made the changes for the intake cam and the exhaust cam. Intake -20 exhaust at 10 and it seems to be better at 2500-4000 rpms but at 1500-2500 still a little lazy you can definitely tell the truck likes those cam angles after 2500 rpms . I will keep messing with it and report back if it feels better with more changes really wish I had a Dyno to test the actual torque differences.

Tuner in Training
    when you finlize it please let me know i have the same mod with the same issue, i would like to share my tune too you can find it in my posts, it is dyno tuned, but very shitty

Tuner in Training
    Hey last little update ! I did everything I could to try and get that torque back down low but I still couldn’t get it maybe that’s just how the 18 mustang manifold is paired up to an F150 especially heavier ones

Advanced Tuner
    Im curious what cam angles you ended up with. I have a cobrajet on my truck and it is a bit lazy down low, but not terrible. anything like 4000-7700 though it pulls really strong. The CJ manifold was free and I actually broke the stock one when I took it off for whatever I was doing so I cant go back lol.

I haven't touched the calibration in a long time but ive always wondered if I could get any more low end with some VCT changes. I'll post what I have for OP angles when im not using my Mac; I believe I derived them from a gen2 GT tune from a while back so they might not be quite ideal for truck cams anyway, and I dont have a dyno to really test them.

Advanced Tuner
    Try adding some overlap. Look at a GT350 cam tune file for ideas.