Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking For Opinions And Advice

Tuner in Training

Looking For Opinions And Advice

First I am humbled after reading this forum. As a 35 year airline mechanic I thought
    I knew something. From heavy airframe to line maintenance and avionics I figured
    tuning a truck motor would be a walk in the park. I had no idea.

I will try not to bore with my story. I bought my 2018 LTZ Silverado brand new and
    had already planned to do upgrades as soon as it ran out of warranty. I finally got
    around to it and did not do the research going in that I should have.

The physical work was not to big of a deal as my friend is a great mechanic. He is
    not a tuner though. Long story short I paid for a remote tune from GPI where I
    bought the parts for the upgrades.

My tuner got the truck running good but I am sure more needs to be done. Fuel
    economy seems to be worse than it should be even with my heavy foot. The new
    horsepower is hard to resist.

The shifting is not great but safe. I mentioned this to the tuner but I was lead to
    believe this was normal. Seems to be too much delay when stepping on it while
    driving. almost like a stall before downshift and accelerating. Some of the threads
    I read lead me to believe this can be improved.

I have been watching Goat Rope Garage videos and I know there is tweaking that
    needs to be done I just need to know the best place to start. I have a wide band
    installed as that seems to be a requirement for fine tuning.

L83 with following changes.

AFM delete
    Low Lift Cam
    L86 intake and throttle body
    Cold air intake
    Shorty Headers
    Polished the heads with a valve job.

Here is the current tune and a log. Please let me know what you think and where
    I should focus. Thanks so much!

Airwrench 2018 Silverado 5.3 LLT1 L86 IM TB GPI TCM V3.hptairwrenchwithtcm03.hpl
    Last edited by WEC; 05-18-2023 at 07:25 PM.

Tuning Addict
    Start with that VE table..... I honestly stopped after looking at that, so can't comment on anything else.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuner in Training
    Will do. Thanks

If GPI tuned it, needs a lot of work

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Yea, the VVE table looks like a circus trick gone bad. Tune VVE first then MAF then PE.

What's the wideband showing under WOT? In the tune PE is set as rich as 10.85.
    Last edited by Clutch; 05-19-2023 at 08:06 PM.
    1997 C5 - 346ci - M6 - custom CAI, ported TB, MAF (ported & descreened), 1-7/8" Lt's, 3"X-pipe, modified stock muffs, 345rwhp before headers/x-pipe

Tuner in Training
    Going to start next week. Working all weekend. Actually work 2 jobs because I
    like the punishment. Working on mounting the wide band gauge. I will post some updates
    as I go.

Thanks for the advice. That bad huh??

Yea. Pretty bad. BTW, it looks like he left you with a "MAF only" tune.
    Last edited by Clutch; 05-20-2023 at 03:25 AM.
    1997 C5 - 346ci - M6 - custom CAI, ported TB, MAF (ported & descreened), 1-7/8" Lt's, 3"X-pipe, modified stock muffs, 345rwhp before headers/x-pipe

Tuner in Training
    I have been tinkering with the VVE table. I did some logs using GRG's graph then
    pasting to the table and smoothing. Not sure if it is much better if at all. As soon as
    I figure out how to post the before and after 3D pics of the table I will let y'all let
    me know.

Did notice the wide band staying right around 1.0. It did favor the lean side before
    smoothing and after a little more rich.

Tuner in Training
    Ok here are the before and after shots.
    before.png

after1.png

Tuning Addict
    Lock the cam to a 0 position and dial it in. Then using Cringer's tool you can edit the tables for variable cam movement. Just a FYI you really need to have your density table dialed in before making any of these corrections. If you're not interested in the time to dial in the density table just keep in mind your VVE table will probably vary up to 10% pass to pass so just get as close as you can. You can probably highlight the whole table and smooth it out just to begin with.

I kind of see what GPI did. They basically got all the areas where you would normally drive close then they jacked the other areas through the roof to help with decel torque and cruise economy. Really not the way to do it, but guess they wanted some special signature???
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Quote Originally Posted by WEC View Post
    First I am humbled after reading this forum. As a 35 year airline mechanic I thought
    I knew something. From heavy airframe to line maintenance and avionics I figured
    tuning a truck motor would be a walk in the park. I had no idea.

I will try not to bore with my story. I bought my 2018 LTZ Silverado brand new and
    had already planned to do upgrades as soon as it ran out of warranty. I finally got
    around to it and did not do the research going in that I should have.

The physical work was not to big of a deal as my friend is a great mechanic. He is
    not a tuner though. Long story short I paid for a remote tune from GPI where I
    bought the parts for the upgrades.

My tuner got the truck running good but I am sure more needs to be done. Fuel
    economy seems to be worse than it should be even with my heavy foot. The new
    horsepower is hard to resist.

The shifting is not great but safe. I mentioned this to the tuner but I was lead to
    believe this was normal. Seems to be too much delay when stepping on it while
    driving. almost like a stall before downshift and accelerating. Some of the threads
    I read lead me to believe this can be improved.

I have been watching Goat Rope Garage videos and I know there is tweaking that
    needs to be done I just need to know the best place to start. I have a wide band
    installed as that seems to be a requirement for fine tuning.

L83 with following changes.

AFM delete
    Low Lift Cam
    L86 intake and throttle body
    Cold air intake
    Shorty Headers
    Polished the heads with a valve job.

Here is the current tune and a log. Please let me know what you think and where
    I should focus. Thanks so much!

Airwrench 2018 Silverado 5.3 LLT1 L86 IM TB GPI TCM V3.hptairwrenchwithtcm03.hpl

This will help tame that (VVE) beast you have:
    https://youtu.be/_Eiyy460C_k
    A standard approach will give you standard results.

My Tuning Software:

VVE Assistant [update for v1.5]
    MAF Assistant
    EOIT Assistant

Tuner in Training
    Great thanks..

Just a FYI you really need to have your density table dialed in before making any of these corrections. If you're not interested in the time to dial in the density table just keep in mind your VVE table will probably vary up to 10% pass to pass so just get as close as you can. You can probably highlight the whole table and smooth it out just to begin with.
    I am interested if not right now at some point for sure.

Tuner in Training
    So I just tried what GHuggins mentioned and just did a total smoothing. I have to say it improved the operation
    of the truck. That is to say throttle response and shifting improved. With the GPI tune the shifting was not smooth
    through all 8 gears up or down. Much better now.

Now I need to log some error runs and use the assistant.

One problem I had with the assistant is I accidentally clicked one of the tabs before I pasted my zones. Now I can't
    un-click any tabs so when I try to copy in my zones I get a warning. Leave it to me to screw up the first step.

smoothing1.png

So I just tried what GHuggins mentioned and just did a total smoothing. I have to say it improved the operation
    of the truck. That is to say throttle response and shifting improved. With the GPI tune the shifting was not smooth
    through all 8 gears up or down. Much better now.

Now I need to log some error runs and use the assistant.

One problem I had with the assistant is I accidentally clicked one of the tabs before I pasted my zones. Now I can't
    un-click any tabs so when I try to copy in my zones I get a warning. Leave it to me to screw up the first step.

smoothing1.png

File > New Project (or Ctrl + N)
    will start you fresh

My Tuning Software:

MAF Assistant
    EOIT Assistant

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
    File > New Project (or Ctrl + N)
    will start you fresh
    Ok thanks

Update.. Tried that but the buttons don't reset. When I try to copy
    the zones first I get this.

Screenshot 2023-05-24 212705.png
    Last edited by WEC; 05-24-2023 at 08:30 PM.

Ok thanks

Update.. Tried that but the buttons don't reset. When I try to copy
    the zones first I get this.

Screenshot 2023-05-24 212705.png

Will need more info with screenshot of where you are copying to and from.

I have seen where the fuel trims are so off that the program sees an overall range of over 100% between the highest and lowest value and flags this warning. So what does your histo in the scanner look like? What happens if you click YES to this message?

My Tuning Software:

MAF Assistant
    EOIT Assistant

damn. you can run maf only. there is no issue with that. but i would dial in the vve first then maf and go from there
    Specializing in calibrating GM vehicles. HPtuners and HolleyEFI

Remote tuning services email [email protected]
    instagram: tunedbymmt

Tuner
    Question on VVE Assistant: VVE row labels have an adjustment to allow thsimulate what I assume are 2 bar equivalent. I assume this will work OK as I have matched revised PR row labels in graph.

Dan can you confirm?

Quote Originally Posted by DCZ View Post
    Question on VVE Assistant: VVE row labels have an adjustment to allow thsimulate what I assume are 2 bar equivalent. I assume this will work OK as I have matched revised PR row labels in graph.

Dan can you confirm?
    VVE assistant can handle MAP (Gen4), MAP/Baro Pressure Ratio (Gen5), and Speed Density 2 Bar OS patch. The key thing is that if you choose to modify your row label/breakpoints in the editor (and same for column axis breakpoints), no matter what your OS is, you need to do that in the scanner too. This is because the VVE assistant is taking inputs from both the editor and the scanner and all sources need to match.

My Tuning Software:

MAF Assistant
    EOIT Assistant

Tuner in Training
    Sorry I disappeared for a bit.

Along with work and stuff keeping me away from tinkering with the truck I have been
    watching some of your videos. I subscribed to your channel and it is consuming what little
    extra time I have. Great stuff by the way!