Thread: F1 Lap List

Advanced Tuner

F1 Lap List

Here is a set of F1 style Lap List display objects. These work by using only the lap times specified in RaceRender without needing any additional special timing data files. They should work for up to 100 laps for a single data file (if you need more, I can look into that, but I figure that should cover even most 2+ hour sprint races when most of us are only doing ~20 minute track sessions). These lap lists will expand to display an upcoming lap, highlight the previous lap's number as slower or faster for a few seconds after completing the lap, and always display the fastest lap of the session. I've included two here for the current lap and 10 previous laps as well as the current lap and 20 previous laps, but the Canvas Size Y can be reduced/expanded to only display the exact number desired up to the 20 previous laps.

Before loading up the display objects, you'll need to install these fonts. They contain a standard F1 font along with a bold and a wide font. I've also modified the regular font to make all numbers the exact same width such that lap times stay in the same place while counting up. This isn't actually how the TV graphics look, but I think it makes things much more consistent and easier to see at a glance. Feel free to replace the drawing font with the regular one for an experience closer to the actual TV graphics.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tOb...ew?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rA-...ew?usp=sharing

Here are the Lap Lists that include the background:
    10 Laps: Lap List - F1 - 10 - with Background.rro
    20 Laps: Lap List - F1 - 20 - with Background.rro

For a complete experience, I usually use a Lap List with no background (with 0 Transparency) and place a separate background only Lap List object underneath it in the exact same position with the exact same size (and 20 Transparency to allow some of the background to show through without obstructing the actual numbers or header).

10 Laps: Lap List - F1 - 10.rro
    10 Laps Background Only: Lap List - F1 Background - 10.rro
    20 Laps: Lap List - F1 - 20.rro
    20 Laps Background Only: Lap List - F1 Background - 20.rro

These should result in something that looks like the lap list in the top left:

Unfortunately, sectors and penalties (such as hitting cones or going off course) require additional pre-processing and won't work with a standard data file until RaceRender supports that type of functionality, but at least the lap list itself can be supported.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you for your wondeful job and generous sharing!
    The time difference to current best bar chart (if my guess is right) on the central bottom looks fantastic! Could you please share its rro file here? I would really appreciate it.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by le8gn View Post
    Thank you for your wondeful job and generous sharing!
    The time difference to current best bar chart (if my guess is right) on the central bottom looks fantastic! Could you please share its rro file here? I would really appreciate it.
    Sure!

Bar Graph - Time Delta Field.rro

It's probably easiest to use the "(This Lap vs Cur Best Lap)" calculated field since that should be pretty close for continuous circuits. You can adjust the amount of time that is displayed on either side by adjusting the Range fields in the Display Object Properties (e.g. -2 to 2 would display a bar from 2 seconds behind to 2 seconds ahead). Make sure these add to 0 though since I didn't add extra logic to handle them being different.

If you want more precision or if you ever participate in a point-to-point like autocross or trackcross, you can follow the example I have here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing You simply fill in the lap time in seconds at each particular spot on the track where you can compare your current lap (Column C) vs the previous lap (Column D). A staging time is added to the current lap time to get the current session time, and the current and previous laps are subtracted to get a "Time Delta" field for use in the RaceRender object. I have a negative value in the first row so that it will be active prior to my first autocross run (and so that it just happens to line up exactly with when my data began recording in that specific example). That value may need to be adjusted if your staging time is different.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboBob View Post
    Sure!

It's probably easiest to use the "(This Lap vs Cur Best Lap)" calculated field since that should be pretty close for continuous circuits. You can adjust the amount of time that is displayed on either side by adjusting the Range fields in the Display Object Properties (e.g. -2 to 2 would display a bar from 2 seconds behind to 2 seconds ahead). Make sure these add to 0 though since I didn't add extra logic to handle them being different.

If you want more precision or if you ever participate in a point-to-point like autocross or trackcross, you can follow the example I have here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing You simply fill in the lap time in seconds at each particular spot on the track where you can compare your current lap (Column C) vs the previous lap (Column D). A staging time is added to the current lap time to get the current session time, and the current and previous laps are subtracted to get a "Time Delta" field for use in the RaceRender object. I have a negative value in the first row so that it will be active prior to my first autocross run (and so that it just happens to line up exactly with when my data began recording in that specific example). That value may need to be adjusted if your staging time is different.
    Thank you so much! I think the the "(This Lap vs Cur Best Lap)" calculated field is good enough for my kart practice ;P
    BTW I'm wondering that what is the difference bwteeen (This Lap vs Cur Best Lap) and (This Lap vs Best Lap)? The vs data seems a little bit off

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by le8gn View Post
    Thank you so much! I think the the "(This Lap vs Cur Best Lap)" calculated field is good enough for my kart practice ;P
    BTW I'm wondering that what is the difference bwteeen (This Lap vs Cur Best Lap) and (This Lap vs Best Lap)? The vs data seems a little bit off
    Suppose you have data for 10 laps with lap #7 being your best lap and lap #3 being your second best. If the video/data is in the middle of lap #5, then Cur Best Lap will be #3, but Best Lap is #7. Cur Best Lap is the best lap that has occurred prior to this point in time whereas Best Lap will just be the fastest one in the session without regard to the current time.

Some people will prefer to see how any given lap compares to the best one they did, but one side effect of choosing the best lap is that on your best lap, it will just look blank (since you're in the middle of your best lap; and there won't be a difference).

I prefer to use Cur Best Lap since that will always have data (other than the first lap where you don't have a time yet) and since that is what it would've looked like as I was driving at that time.

Tuner in Training
    Suppose you have data for 10 laps with lap #7 being your best lap and lap #3 being your second best. If the video/data is in the middle of lap #5, then Cur Best Lap will be #3, but Best Lap is #7. Cur Best Lap is the best lap that has occurred prior to this point in time whereas Best Lap will just be the fastest one in the session without regard to the current time.

Some people will prefer to see how any given lap compares to the best one they did, but one side effect of choosing the best lap is that on your best lap, it will just look blank (since you're in the middle of your best lap; and there won't be a difference).

I prefer to use Cur Best Lap since that will always have data (other than the first lap where you don't have a time yet) and since that is what it would've looked like as I was driving at that time.
    Thanks for your clear explanation. Now I understand the difference and also prefer Current Best Lap

Banned
    Sure!

It's probably easiest to use the "(This Lap vs Cur Best Lap)" calculated field since that should be pretty close for continuous circuits.
    This is absolutely fantastic ! Thank you for sharing it

Advanced Tuner
    Very minor updates to the Time Delta Display Object: Bar Graph - Time Delta Field.rro

The example spreadsheet here should still work: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

I realized that the UTC Time doesn't really make a difference; so I removed that column for a bit more precise timing.