Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel in oil

Tuner in Training

Fuel in oil

Hey Y'all, new member here and I'm desperate to find an answer on this. I have been searching the internet for weeks trying to figure this out. Long story short I "rebuilt" a gen 3 5.3 that had gotten water in it. I honed the cylinders and installed all new bearings, gaskets, rings, etc.. This is a 7875 turbo, DEKA 80's, sloppy copy build. I'm also trying to learn tuning as well. So i get the truck running, seems to run good. Keep tuning on the truck, its going ok. Change the oil and it smells of fuel. I had a rich tune at that time, I fixed that and drove the truck a little bit (100 miles), checked the oil and its smells of fuel on the stick. Drain the oil and its dark and smells strongly of fuel. So I thought i messed up on the build and rings didn't seat or something. I let the fuel rail with injectors hang for two days to see if they were leaking, nothing leaked. So i was convinced I messed up on the build. I pull a junk yard 5.3 and install that in my truck with the same turbo, injectors, and cam setup (ss2). Truck runs good, changed the oil after maybe 200 miles to flush out whatever junkyard stuff maybe in there, and guess what, it looks and smell identical to the other motor. dark and smells heavily of fuel. I feel like it has to be the tune. I entered the injector data into my tune. I feel like the injector timing is off or something I really don't know at this point. Like I said I'm learning HPtuners and it easily could be something so easy and I look like a moron. Thanks for any and all help.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    I don't have a solid answer for you but i too, thought my oil smelled of gas. I had an oil analysis done and come to find out there was a small amount of gas in the oil. The report for my engine states that it should be <2.0 and my results were <0.5. FWIW, I used Blackstone for my oil analysis.

Is it running extremely rich?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by PAQ View Post
    Is it running extremely rich?
    Couple times in boost it was rich. the other engine didn't even see boost. When letting off the throttle while driving it goes rich. like 12 afr. Other motor had bearing material in the drain pan after draining oil everytime. I noticed a little with the new motor as well. The oil for sure has gas in it. Engine starts and runs without any noticable smoke. Thank you for your reply.

Wrong injector data - flow rate is flat like with a referenced regulator, offset vs volts vs vac is sloped like with returnless/non-referenced.

Deka 80's flow 94.62 at 58psi but your file says 78.31. What happens if you under-report the flow rate is, the PCM does the math based on the smaller number in the table and comes up with a bigger number for pulsewidth than it really needs... which means 'rich'.

2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    I understand and will change that, but if you adjust the ve wouldn't that compensate for that? Just asking, trying to learn. Thank you for your insight. Flow rate should be not be flat correct, but change with vacuum? And are you saying all of my other injector data is incorrect as well?

Siemens Deka 80lbs Injector Data.xls

I have zero knowledge of where that data came from - whether it was generated by a competent professional with accurate equipment, or if it's one of those 'well this is what my buddy used and it worked OK' things.

If you have a referenced regulator then Flow Rate and Offset vs Volts vs VAC should use only the '0' column, pasted all the way across (flat). If it's non-referenced, use the data for those two tables as-is in the sheet.

Tuner in Training
    I also cant verify the data unfortunately. Please forgive my ignorance, but when you say referenced are talking about whether or not it is connected to vacuum?

Tuner in Training
    Thank you again! I have made changes and will flash and take it for a spin and log.

Yes. Shorthand is 'return style' for ones with a manifold reference, or 'returnless' for without.

But both types are 'referenced': one to manifold pressure, other to atmospheric pressure.

Where did the data in your file come from? Did you have a sheet with the four critical tables, or did you only change the flow rate and think that was all it needed?

What MAP sensor is that? 329.41/-6.35?

Is this an open-loop-only, no O2s deal? 'Cause all the O2 DTCs are set to No Error. All of them.

Senior Tuner
    Why of course it's an open loop tune.

Ur car on open loop:
    OL tards.jpg

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    What MAP sensor is that? 329.41/-6.35?

Is this an open-loop-only, no O2s deal? 'Cause all the O2 DTCs are set to No Error. All of them.
    SD tune. 3 bar gm map truck style sensor.

Tuner in Training
    also tons of varying data out there for those injectors...

What is the part number of the MAP sensor?
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    I will say this, this is the first time I have ever engine swapped, built a motor, turbocharged anything, tried to tune it, etc. I truly appreciate any and all help because I truly want to learn tuning.

Tuner in Training
    I had kept this because it seemed to work better than 305/10.33 when i was fighting injectors and not knowing anything at all.. https://www.efisource.com/wp/shop/ls...ar-map-sensor/

Quote Originally Posted by SiriusC1024 View Post
    Why of course it's an open loop tune.

Ur car on open loop:
    OL tards.jpg
    My Qjet is highly offended by that.

Senior Tuner
    Haha

I've thought about getting one of those Holley Demons to try out. Just for something to do. Carbs can be fun, and they make for a unique driving experience.

A lot of people make the mistake of thinking open loop makes more power. It's what the bracket racers do, right? Monkey see, monkey do. Bracket racers use OL for the consistency. It has nothing to do with maximum power and certainly not reliability. Running OL is the equivalent of a kid putting a wing on a Civic because they saw one on a Lamborghini.
    Last edited by SiriusC1024; 05-21-2023 at 11:00 AM.