Thread: 6.0 Tuning advice

Potential Tuner

6.0 Tuning advice

Hello all!

I'm just getting into tuning and looking for some direction. My objective, for now, is to improve driveability. I've added a few things since I purchased a street tune from Quick Tricks a few years ago. I recently pulled motor to do headgaskets, stud it and put a 10blade turbine w/ 4 in exhaust. The truck feels alot smoother overall, lost the whole slingshot effect when going WOT and my EGT's are alot lower. I believe there is room for improvement in the tune with new exhaust. I rarely tow over 8k and looking to do mostly a street tune for now that gets decent mileage on the highway.

I pulled the tune that was on my truck from QT (SCT version) and returned to stock then captured that file as well. I did a comparison in VCM to see what they changed. Some of it I understand, but there's a lot I don't. TCM tune is pretty self-explanatory, but getting into the Torque fueling,timing and other tables is slightly intimidating since this is my first diesel.
    I guess I'm looking for resources that explain diesel fueling/timing etc and how to make changes. I was kinda expecting the tables to be more linear.

My truck is mostly stock besides one uppipe, 4in exh, 10blade turbine and studs . I started first with all reliability concerns, hpop updates, blue spring and fixing wiring etc, so I would have a solid base. I've attached my stock strategy, but didn't want to post the QT one.

Thanks in advance!

VXCF9H7_STOCK_TUNE.hpt

Banned
    you dont want your timing tables to be linear. its not a gas car.. its a diesel. only blessed tunes are linear and run like garbage.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerstrokecustoms View Post
    you dont want your timing tables to be linear. its not a gas car.. its a diesel. only blessed tunes are linear and run like garbage.
    Yes,

That's what I've read. My only experience with tuning is basic on gas engines. I guess what I'm trying to find out is what areas to start with. The tune I had was supposed to be head bolt safe and conservative. I would like a little more power now that I've got head studs and better exhaust. I've been looking for hours trying to find some basic info on tuning the 6.0, but almost all the stuff I'm finding is newer common rail tuning. If you know of any resources or can suggest where to start, that would be awesome!

Thanks,

Joe

Banned
    first of all there is no head bolt safe tune your gunna find on the market. these trucks blow head gaskets with stock tuning. 6.0 and 7.3 tuning is pretty close to the same thing. unless you have a dyno then getting into tuning is kinda pointless and your gunna find yourself going down a long rabbit hole.

Potential Tuner
    Yes. I realize there is no safe head bolt tune, just repeating what it was advertised at. It lasted about 2 years before I blew the head gaskets. I have become intimately familiar with the 6.0. I like doing everything myself. I'm pretty detail oriented and hate poor-quality work. I just got done pulling the motor, replacing all the seals, head studs, and rebuilding/cleaning turbo myself etc. I didn't realize who you were until I looked at your website. I wanted to thank you, I've referenced several of your 6.0 videos in my learning process.

I get your point about the dyno, but right now I'm not looking for max power. I thought I could tweak some of the driveability issues with the bigger exhaust and 03 style turbine wheel.

I will do some digging on the 7.3 tunning and see if I can find more stuff on that. This is my first diesel and coming from gas engines, it's a totally different animal. I like to understand how things work. I mean coming from a gas motor, you have throttle body, distributor/elec ignition, spark, timing advance, MAF/SD, etc.
    My 6.0 just has MAF, Boost sensor, EBP, Crank/cam IAT, EOT/ECT,ICP sensors respectively. My understanding is that everything is ran off fuel, the more fuel, the more air you can move, the more power. Just trying to understand how it all fits together.

Thanks again