Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: stumbles on cold start

Senior Tuner
    Here's where startuptryagain/ve12 left off.

- Flow rate fueling based on heptane flow rates.
    - Lowered VE a few points.
    - Check both idle tabs.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Here are the 2 tunes that were in play in the ve12
    Last edited by K Rob; 05-30-2023 at 07:46 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    The injectors are too big for idle i think is whats happening and why youre having to scale the VE so far down. I checked the data on them and it seems accurate. those are 36lb injectors @ 43psi, at 58 theyre 42lb. although min inj pulse width still seems a little high to me on those injuectors. thats why i was curious where in the injector data came from. Where are we at on this? cleaning up idle and just getting it to where it can be logged and tuned?
    Last edited by horsepowerguru427; 05-30-2023 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by horsepowerguru427 View Post
    The injectors are too big for idle i think is whats happening and why youre having to scale the VE so far down. I checked the data on them and it seems accurate. those are 36lb injectors @ 43psi, at 58 theyre 42lb. although min inj pulse width still seems a little high to me on those injuectors. thats why i was curious where in the injector data came from.
    So are you suggesting using a different injector than these ?
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT - VCM otr intake, underdrive pulley, Kooks LT's no cats to Kooks mufflers, LS7 maf, 3.45 gears, stall, cammed
    2014 Chevy SS - Rotofab CAI, LS7 maf, Kooks LT's no cats to factory mufflers, flex fuel sensor, cammed

Advanced Tuner
    no, these are usable. youre idle might be a little sloppy even once its done and its going to need some changes, but theyre usable.

Oh okay good
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT - VCM otr intake, underdrive pulley, Kooks LT's no cats to Kooks mufflers, LS7 maf, 3.45 gears, stall, cammed
    2014 Chevy SS - Rotofab CAI, LS7 maf, Kooks LT's no cats to factory mufflers, flex fuel sensor, cammed

Advanced Tuner
    which tune are you using now and where are we at with it? does it idle now and just needs to be cleaned up so itll run?

Senior Tuner
    Should be trying SiriusC1024_7 next.
    Last edited by SiriusC1024; 05-30-2023 at 09:14 PM.

These are current tune and log. Currently will not start and idle on its own.

I appreciate everyone's help !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SiriusC1024 View Post
    Should be trying SiriusC1024_7 next.
    Yes will try in the morning - I greatly appreciate the help with this frustration !!!!!

Advanced Tuner
    I revised several things on this tune. general rule of thumb with tuning, if you make changes and it has an adverse effect, then remove those changes. also its better to make small changes and retest and also not to change a bunch of things at once either.

If itll start and idle on this tune then take an idle data log for a few min. once temp is about 60 degrees or so then there shouldnt be much to affect fueling so you can take idle data log once ECT is past that point and get back with me.

Advanced Tuner
    Interested how this one turned out with the reduced start up airflow and some fuel added back. Post a log when you can.

update

Advanced Tuner
    iac is maxed on this one so more start airflow shouldn't help but try pedaling just in case. Also It seemed to try to run for a few seconds so set minimum timing at 400 rpm to 15* so it has a chance to get going. This will need to be reset after getting start up and idle situated.

used the pedal to get it going

Well is there any hope here ?
    I appreciate everyone’s help and suggestions. This has been one heck of a headache for me as well as you all.

Thanks again !!!!!

Senior Tuner
    Have you adjusted the throttle opened a few turns and done a TPS/IAC relearn?

I have and can again

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by K Rob View Post
    Well is there any hope here ?
    I appreciate everyone?s help and suggestions. This has been one heck of a headache for me as well as you all.

Thanks again !!!!!
    Sometimes it just takes some trial and error. its harder to do when the people trying to help arent right there. data logs only get you so much, but we'll get er figured out. I made some VE changes based on what you sent in the log while running "try again 3" that i sent the other night. I also tried moving the timing a little more. next time you post something do me a favor and post a little more info on what happened. From the data log it looked like it was just turning over until you hit the throttle slightly then it looks like you let off and it idled? could tell exactly from the log but hopefully these small changes will get you closer...baby steps sometimes, ya know?

In the morning I will open the throttle blade until it will start on its own - let it get to operating temp - get IAC counts lowered so on cold startup it has has much room to open as possible and reset tps as well.