Thread: Cam and header swap LM7, new to tuning

Potential Tuner

Cam and header swap LM7, new to tuning

Apologies, I don't have access to the tune or logs at the moment to post them. Just wondering if anybody would be willing to share a tune file or two that might work for my combination. It's running and driving now but has some low RPM hesitations and stuttering. I'm completely new to this and would like to compare if possible.

TSP Chopacabra truck cam 214/222 .550/.550 108 lsa
    GM high performance .550 lift springs
    Speed Engineering LT and Y pipe

Stock 4l60. We haven't touched trans tuning at all yet. All the stock engine/trans in a 2006 1500 silverado

Tuner in Training
    I'm tuning the exact combination in an 01, but I'm green as grass at this form of engine tuning as well. So I cant give you any good info. I've been trying to get Ve tuned for about a week and by my LTFT numbers its looking close, but looking at my VE map it looks like a run over dog......pretty bad lol. When I try to smooth the table i seem to make it worse. Most of the videos I've watched on tuning all use a wideband instead of using ltft. I'm more than likely going to buy a wide band and start over.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by STMFC View Post
    Apologies, I don't have access to the tune or logs at the moment to post them. Just wondering if anybody would be willing to share a tune file or two that might work for my combination. It's running and driving now but has some low RPM hesitations and stuttering. I'm completely new to this and would like to compare if possible.

TSP Chopacabra truck cam 214/222 .550/.550 108 lsa
    GM high performance .550 lift springs
    Speed Engineering LT and Y pipe

Stock 4l60. We haven't touched trans tuning at all yet. All the stock engine/trans in a 2006 1500 silverado
    post tune and log when you get a chance or no one will really be willing to help on this forum. im running a similar setup in a yukon LM7 but just plugging my tune into your ecm wont do you much good honestly.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldy View Post
    I'm tuning the exact combination in an 01, but I'm green as grass at this form of engine tuning as well. So I cant give you any good info. I've been trying to get Ve tuned for about a week and by my LTFT numbers its looking close, but looking at my VE map it looks like a run over dog......pretty bad lol. When I try to smooth the table i seem to make it worse. Most of the videos I've watched on tuning all use a wideband instead of using ltft. I'm more than likely going to buy a wide band and start over.
    TBH i have gotten much better results using STFT to tune VE and MAF basically everywhere but WOT and PE conditions. Post a tune and a log if you have it and i can try to help. im running a P59 which isnt a whole lot different from a P01 and my cam isnt the exact same as yours but its not too far off.

Tuner in Training
    Here is what I have so far. I installed a Texas speed chopacabra cam & ls6 springs. been trying to tune ve off of ltft with the open loop disabled. i have a graph that reads off of LTFT sensor as well as one that reads off of LTFT+STFT math.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    sorry for the slow response. I tried LTFT+STFT and just LTFT for tuning VE and MAF and i didnt have very good luck with it. Personally, using STFT has worked best for me on everything ive tuned. Im going to go through your log and tune in just a sec and get back with you in an hour or 2. just wanted to send a quick response.

Advanced Tuner
    looking at the tune, you have the MAF failed so i assume youre just trying to tune VE or going SD. I turned CL off and OL on and disabled LTFT.I also disabled PE just for tuning purposes and COT is already off and DFCO is now off as well. All these things can make fueling changes in the background which can create problems if they activate for some reason. your idle spark timing in both drive and park was set at 27+ so i changed youre idle timing tables some, if it has trouble idling then raise the base setpoint some until you get the VE closer. I also increases the ETC TPS MAX in torque management and lowered the allowable spark retard as well. I assume since you havent gotten VE done then you havent logged and tuned BRAF, it was quite a bit higher than mine and our setups are pretty similar, usually you lose some down low depending on the cam, so i just tossed my values in there to get it closer until you can tune that. Throttle cracker values were really low compared to mine or even just a factory 5.3 around that year. You can do a compare to view any of it or change things back as you need/want to.

I cant open your log because you have a newer version than me at the moment ( i dont update unless i have to lol) Ill Upload the channels i use for my gen 3's. Be warned there are a lot of channels and histos so remove anything you want to match what youre logging. The less amount of things being logged the better. If for some reason the channels i send dont open on youre or something like that, then setup the histogram just the same as your LTFT vs RPM but use STFT and i also use filters to eliminate certain throttle areas for cleaner data.

Log some data and then copy, paste speacial 1/2% to your VE table and try to make your throttle changes very slowly as you drive. i try to get data from idle or a slow roll up to about 4k RPM in gears 1-3 and then input that data i get. DONT SMOOTH, gather data again and input again. do this about 3x and if there are any areas you can interpolate in the VE after you multiply by % so there isnt any cells in the middle or around the edges you didnt hit, thatll help as well. I made an example image to demonstrate, just remember, you want YOUR data to be the first and last cells in the interpolation. do one row or column at a time. once youve input a few data logs and its running better then you can smooth and not worry about it.

Hopefully this helps. feel free to reach out for any questions you may have.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by horsepowerguru427; 05-25-2023 at 04:53 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you sir. I just got back to work so it will be at least three weeks before I can work on it again. I appreciate the info and response. I spent too much time being a fud and holding on to my carbureted big blocks instead learning new tech. Now I?m years behind lol.

Tuner in Training
    no poblem. let me know how it turns out.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by horsepowerguru View Post
    no poblem. let me know how it turns out.
    I appreciate the info. That week my son wrapped this truck around a pine tree. He walked away unharmed, but the truck was totaled. I swapped it into a 92 SWB single cab for Momma a hot rod grocery getter. As soon as I can get the intake piping run so i can mount the Maf back in going to upload your changes and see if i can get the bugs worked out