Thread: Spark Idle for gen 2 with 18+Manifold & IMRC Removed.

Tuner in Training

Spark Idle for gen 2 with 18+Manifold & IMRC Removed.

Where should I be for Spark timing degrees at Idle with a 2018 manifold with IMRC's removed?

Thanks,

In bordeline and MBT, also in minimum spark...but also in your torque tables.

The answer is more complicated then you may think - idle is TQ controlled.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you for the reply Veeefour. I'm trying to see where in degrees should I be at Idle. I have it set to idle at 750rpm. Evans states I should be in the mid 20's but I have also read around 8-12 degrees. Before the manifold swap I was around 8 and had the rpm's within +- 10rpm with only adjusting the torque tables in MP 1. Now that I'm in MP15, my goal here is to have a smooth Idle without spark timing jumping around so much. Would you know if I have to adjust my Idle Airflow to help achieve this? Thanks. Edit: Forgot to mention I have a Procharger.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Well MP15 is not suited for idle like MP1 was, even if this theoretically should be working this way. MP15 needs some SD adjustment.

Imagine your 100% torque as 100% MBT spark. For example if MBT is 40 and BRDL is 20 you should be making 50% of torque.
    That is given other conditions are met like AFR. For most cases idle will end up being to high and idle logic will command a spark cut
    and you will end up idling at -2 to 0' which is not ideal. Those engine like to idle around 15'. Adjust spark MBT and BRL correlation
    to achieve a proper spark at idle. Adjust SD to achieve proper idle airflow.

Only then go and touch anything in idle logic, most of the time its best left alone.

Tuner in Training
    I have a ways to go to understand these torque based systems. Learning this doesn't come as easy to me but I enjoy learning. Thank you for the input. I will work on getting familiar with how to make the speed density adjustments. I know I need at least a 2bar map sensor to hook up to make the proper adjustments as the system map is inferred. Thanks again.