Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E67 REP during VE tuning

Tuner in Training

E67 REP during VE tuning

A couple issues during VE tuning on this E67 427.

1. I have set MAF fail to 0 hz and P101,102,103 to MIL on first error. I go for a ride and get my LTFT's. When I return and let it coast to idle it goes into REP mode and barely idles. I have to clear the only code P106 to get it to run again to get back home. I was getting a P068 error but I change that to no error reported. I think I am answering my own question: raise the airflow delta diagnostics???

2. The first time I logged LTFT's they were only -5% or so. I'm logging .4 to .7 kPa vs 2000 to 4000 RPM. I multiply % into the manifold open VE table ( I can confirm the % changed correctly) and calculate coefficients. I flash and warm up fully again and go for another ride. Now the LTFT are +10% in a bunch of areas....and probably correlate to zones. I've not seen this happen before. Usually I get the correction I put in the VE table.DonsRegalModified427_R14.hpt

Appreciate any insight.

Tuning Addict
    Research rich after flash and how to correct it. With that big of an engine change - I assume built engine because I don't know of a 427 that came with an E67 controller plus you named the tune "modified" - you're going to have to dial a lot of tables in. Basically wait 20 minutes before checking for fuel errors after flashing hot and dial your itt table in for the lean hot restart - will save you a motor down the road too as this will cause PE to lean out the hotter temps it sees... You can kill the p0106 or dial in the diagnostics - you'll need to dial it back in after tuning in your airflow tables.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuner in Training
    Thanks Greg. I was thinking Intake temp was only 10 minutes. I went for a long drive - about 25 minutes and looks pretty good now. see screen shot. Couple spots to tweak. Yes a pretty healthy camshaft.

The airflow delta was my REP problem like I thought.

LTFT.JPG

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 1LEMan View Post
    A couple issues during VE tuning on this E67 427.

1. I have set MAF fail to 0 hz and P101,102,103 to MIL on first error. I go for a ride and get my LTFT's. When I return and let it coast to idle it goes into REP mode and barely idles. I have to clear the only code P106 to get it to run again to get back home. I was getting a P068 error but I change that to no error reported. I think I am answering my own question: raise the airflow delta diagnostics???

2. The first time I logged LTFT's they were only -5% or so. I'm logging .4 to .7 kPa vs 2000 to 4000 RPM. I multiply % into the manifold open VE table ( I can confirm the % changed correctly) and calculate coefficients. I flash and warm up fully again and go for another ride. Now the LTFT are +10% in a bunch of areas....and probably correlate to zones. I've not seen this happen before. Usually I get the correction I put in the VE table.DonsRegalModified427_R14.hpt

Appreciate any insight.

You need to raise the airflow diagnostics for both. You can max them out.. It's ok. Turning the code off is not the right solution.

The rich after reflash is due to "injector offset vs injector tip temp" Most OS's don't have this or it is zeroed out. Something is messed up with the injector tip temp calculation after a reflash and this offset screws up the fueling for about 10 minutes or so. It is completely fine to just zero this offset table out. Again I'd say more than not have this table zeroed from factory.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuner in Training
    Thank you Alvin. Yes I recall zeroing this out on other GM tunes I did before. It's been a while and I forgot that setting. This particular file has values in it starting at 130 deg. It's zero'd out now!

Tuning Addict
    Zeroing it out will make it worse, but what do I know right.... Those values add fuel and you were already 10% lean, so 0ing it out will make it worse. I've never once seen one zeroed out from factory unless it's an older cal. I recommend dialing the itt (injector tip temp) in as previously recommended All depends on your fueling corrections needed.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

Tuner in Training
    Greg,
    I can't seem to get the VE coefficients to stick in the idle area. I've tried about three times now. What am I missing?DonsRegalModified427_R16.hptR16.hpl
    Thanks again,
    JamesR16.JPG

Tuning Addict
    It's how it calculates the zones out. Try to target something in the -3 to -4 range. I recommend using Cringer's VE assistant if you haven't been introduced to it yet... It will show you the projected afterwords trims - watch the vids on how to use it - I also did a write up in the editor section under adding zones or something like that for it - you can edit the VVE as many times as you like without having to fire the car up and get a rough idea on your outcomes.

~Greg Huggins~

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    It's how it calculates the zones out. Try to target something in the -3 to -4 range. I recommend using Cringer's VE assistant if you haven't been introduced to it yet... It will show you the projected afterwords trims - watch the vids on how to use it - I also did a write up in the editor section under adding zones or something like that for it - you can edit the VVE as many times as you like without having to fire the car up and get a rough idea on your outcomes.
    Yep. That's what I needed. Thank you!

Senior Tuner
    Zeroing it out will make it worse, but what do I know right.... Those values add fuel and you were already 10% lean, so 0ing it out will make it worse. I've never once seen one zeroed out from factory unless it's an older cal. I recommend dialing the itt (injector tip temp) in as previously recommended All depends on your fueling corrections needed.
    Every GEN 4 Truck file I opened this morning had zeroed out ITT tables. Checked all the way up to 2013.. The last model year of them.

And it's likely 10% lean because he's been pulling fuel after a reflash because the ITT tables have been leading him astray.

It works like this..

He flashes.
    ITT calculation is messed up from the reflash, takes 10 min to get back to normal. In the mean time the offset is effecting low PW areas especially.. causing a rich idle/decel area especially.
    He makes a tune edit to correct this

Later he logs it with the ITT settled and it shows lean.

If you intend to keep ITT You need to give it a solid 10-15 minutes after a reflash before logging. This might not be possible with really big injectors as the thing will be pig rich with huge injectors and a bit of extra injector offset.
    Last edited by Alvin; 05-24-2023 at 09:05 AM.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Senior Tuner
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com

Oh, not disputing that none of them are all zeroes. Just that not all of them are.

Senior Tuner
    I never said all of them were.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com

Tuning Addict
    I actually found a few in my files that were zeroed 7's to 12's. Not all of them were and the 13's were really hit and miss, but I did find a lot of truck chassis files 0ed. Not sure how I overlooked it. BUT you are correct that there were some from factory 0ed.

In this case to make the OP's not lean - I would still add where it's going lean - if it's not lean from taking fuel out after flashing, which the way he worded it, it's lean after flashing only? That's if I understood it correctly...

Odd that all of the emission stuff was really hitting in 7 and they zeroed them out even though it would throw off hot engine fueling.
    Last edited by GHuggins; 05-24-2023 at 02:39 PM.

~Greg Huggins~

Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    Every GEN 4 Truck file I opened this morning had zeroed out ITT tables. Checked all the way up to 2013.. The last model year of them.
    Sorry if I read that wrong.

Senior Tuner
    I actually found a few in my files that were zeroed 7's to 12's. Not all of them were and the 13's were really hit and miss, but I did find a lot of truck chassis files 0ed. Not sure how I overlooked it. BUT you are correct that there were some from factory 0ed.

Here is a '13 I just read out.. 0ed out.

read.hpt

If the car is being tuned and the tuner does not understand ITT when the tune is finished it will be lean especially in low PW areas like idle and decel.

If the car has 1000cc or 2000cc injectors that injector tip temp will totally screw you. It will be VERY VERY rich while ITT is messed up. If you compensate for that it will be VERY VERY lean when it comes out of it.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Sorry if I read that wrong.

When most are zeroed... its easy to see how when I open a handful of files they are all zeroed. statistically.

Plenty of instances in this thread where I say "most, many, quite a few, etc"
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com

Advanced Tuner
    In my opinion, I think there are other things in the background that correlate to the ITT table that we don't see. In OS's that came with zeroed ITT, I imagine there are other tables we don't see that play nicely with the zeroes. In the OS's that have values in the ITT table, I imagine those need to be tuned in order to continue to play nice with the unseen background logic instead of zeroing them out. That's just my guess. I know my experience with ITT suggests if the ITT table has values in it from the factory, you need to tune those values.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by RobZL1 View Post
    In my opinion, I think there are other things in the background that correlate to the ITT table that we don't see. In OS's that came with zeroed ITT, I imagine there are other tables we don't see that play nicely with the zeroes. In the OS's that have values in the ITT table, I imagine those need to be tuned in order to continue to play nice with the unseen background logic instead of zeroing them out. That's just my guess. I know my experience with ITT suggests if the ITT table has values in it from the factory, you need to tune those values.
    And no manual or source code to figure out crap like you mention.... but I understand that these controllers were meant for production vehicles to start in -30 to 130 deg F -300 to 13000 ft and not your average hot rod.