Thread: MPVI1 Pro connection issue with HD15 port

Tuner in Training

MPVI1 Pro connection issue with HD15 port

When I plug in the cable into the DLC and move the plug slightly on the HD15 port on the HP tuners box ever so slightly, some of the gauges on my cluster move the far left and some lights pop up. Appears to be a ground issue or power issue on one or more of the connection points on the HD15 plug that is on the HP tuners box itself. Is it common that these are wearing out after being so old? I've already verified continuity of all 4 wires leading to the data link connector port both which is ground for pins 4 and 5, ACY fuse for pin 16, and Pin 58 on blue PCM for pin 2. All fuses and relays are good. Battery power is full. Voltage at the DLC is 12.4v
    Wiring diagrams I used for my car to verify no issues with the wiring:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jN2...6aQPiTHru/view

Note in this video here that when you move the HD15 connector, the gas gauge drops and power is lost to the HP tuners box. It obviously won't be recognized by the software when that happens. If I hold the connector real still and plug it in, I get connection. Not ideal for logging and a risk of bricking when flashing. What specific HD15 type connector do I need so that I can repair this? Anyone know the specific part number? Anything else I need to be aware of in this unit that could be causing the issue? Don't want to upgrade, I just want to repair this one.

https://youtu.be/EPDuKzNtrqY

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Unfortunately we do not offer a repair option nor part information. Your only option in this case would be a new device.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    Unfortunately we do not offer a repair option nor part information. Your only option in this case would be a new device.
    So a 2000 Camaro SS is 6 credits to license. My car has a 4L80E segment swap on it which includes the transmission and the trans diagnostics. So I would need to purchase an additional 2 credits to perform the segment swap if I upgrade to a MPVI 3 since it only comes with 6 credits or no? So roughly $500 to upgrade for 8 total credits or $400 for the 6 credits? What if my MPVI 1 Pro has remaining credits on it? Do those carry over with the upgrade?

Bill will need to answer for a final answer but I upgraded from a MPVI2 to the MPVI3 and all licenses transferred to the new device and I got 4 additional new credits. When I upgraded from a MPVI1 to the MPVI2 several years ago, all licenses transferred at that time as well. I think the upgrade from the MPVI1 includes 6 new credits in addition to all the licences being transferred.
    Last edited by OhTwo; 05-23-2023 at 10:54 PM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    all licenses/available credits get transferred during the upgrade process assuming your MPVI1 device is still functional(it must be functional to be eligible for upgrading).

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    all licenses/available credits get transferred during the upgrade process assuming your MPVI1 device is still functional(it must be functional to be eligible for upgrading).
    It's functional so long as the HD15 port isn't disturbed/moved once connected.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.7stroker View Post
    It's functional so long as the HD15 port isn't disturbed/moved once connected.
    Should be fine in that case, mainly we just need to communicate with it to gather the license info off of it directly.