Thread: New Tool Available: MAF Assistant

New Tool Available: MAF Assistant

I can't remember if I posted this here or not, sorry if it is a duplicate. I developed a tool to help trim excess MAF Hz from the scanner data. Here is how to use it.
    https://youtu.be/ccF7pv1B-Xg

And in case you haven't heard about the VVE Assistant tool, here is the video for that:
    https://youtu.be/_Eiyy460C_k

Note that good things are coming for verison 2.0 of the VVE tool!

Other tool ideas roaming around in my head that I want to write some day...any other ideas you have?
    -EOIT tool
    -Virtual Torque Tool
    A standard approach will give you standard results.

My Tuning Software:

VVE Assistant [update for v1.5]
    MAF Assistant
    EOIT Assistant

Tuning Addict
    You can use this to start with the EOIT tool -

I'de really like a transmission tool that not only corrects all the shift timing tables but also changes the fill volume tables that you could input your desired rpm shifts, stalls, weight and power levels. Probably asking too much on this one Maybe even have it output torque models - hmmmm?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
    I can't remember if I posted this here or not, sorry if it is a duplicate. I developed a tool to help trim excess MAF Hz from the scanner data. Here is how to use it.
    https://youtu.be/ccF7pv1B-Xg

And in case you haven't heard about the VVE Assistant tool, here is the video for that:
    https://youtu.be/_Eiyy460C_k

Note that good things are coming for verison 2.0 of the VVE tool!

Other tool ideas roaming around in my head that I want to write some day...any other ideas you have?
    -EOIT tool
    -Virtual Torque Tool
    When I click on the link, there are several MAF Assistant downloads available. Is it the .exe file?

Quote Originally Posted by LS ROB View Post
    When I click on the link, there are several MAF Assistant downloads available. Is it the .exe file?
    I would start with the x64 folder (for 64 bit Windows). I did the x86 as a test for 32 bit Windows...ignore that. Just copy the folder and double click the EXE to start. No install required.

My Tuning Software:

MAF Assistant
    EOIT Assistant

Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    You can use this to start with the EOIT tool -

I'de really like a transmission tool that not only corrects all the shift timing tables but also changes the fill volume tables that you could input your desired rpm shifts, stalls, weight and power levels. Probably asking too much on this one Maybe even have it output torque models - hmmmm?

That transmission request...wow...that is going to be hard without some type of data or starting point!

Thanks for the spreadsheet...says Gen4, I assume Gen5 works exactly the same way?

My Tuning Software:

MAF Assistant
    EOIT Assistant

Tuning Addict
    LOL - yeah thought it would be That's a gen 4 tool that a bunch of us came up with a few years ago. Gen 5 completely different - wouldn't even go down that road. Not even sure it's worth it on the gen 4 stuff...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

You could model it after BlueCat. It seems to work pretty well. Just needs some massaging on pressures etc.

Advanced Tuner
    I hope these tools all conclude in an 'HP Tuners Assistant' so we can just replace the scanner completely 😆

Quote Originally Posted by smokeshow View Post
    I hope these tools all conclude in an 'HP Tuners Assistant' so we can just replace the scanner completely 
    I reckon each one of us is here in the HPT forums because we are passionate about this stuff and we want to grow, learn, share, and contribute in the best way we know how. We each have different backgrounds, strengths and skillsets. I am just offering up what I can to the community and in turn am trying to be a tiny bit more knowledgeable each day.

Maybe. Just maybe...one day I will be able to help you on something. And maybe, one day, you too can help me out on something as well. To be honest, I am looking forward to both of those days with an equal amount of anticipation. Until then, stay diligent my friend, you are doing good work.

My Tuning Software:

MAF Assistant
    EOIT Assistant

In the VVE tool, showing stats for a particular zone says how rich or lean that particular zone is overall, correct? After 'multiplying by percent' and calculating coefficients then rewriting the new VVE into the tool, I am guessing I should see the values come down-as in a smaller amount of correction when viewing the same zone stats, right?

Forgive me if this is a stupid question. I get lost at the 'you can keep doing this' 6:20 in video.

Also curious as to what you have cell hits required set to in scanner for the 'both' method.

Quote Originally Posted by cpd004 View Post
    In the VVE tool, showing stats for a particular zone says how rich or lean that particular zone is overall, correct? After 'multiplying by percent' and calculating coefficients then rewriting the new VVE into the tool, I am guessing I should see the values come down-as in a smaller amount of correction when viewing the same zone stats, right?

Forgive me if this is a stupid question. I get lost at the 'you can keep doing this' 6:20 in video.

Also curious as to what you have cell hits required set to in scanner for the 'both' method.
    The stats (in the right click menu) are purely informational to give you a high level view of how close or far off the fuel trims are. So for those folks that are aiming for a general [-5 to +5%], or [-5 to 0%], this can guide them. It is also good for seeing the overall quality of data by looking at the standard deviation number...so after you've re-calculated coefficients multiple times, you can objectively know if you are making progress. This is not really critical though.

The critical part is the 'you can keep doing this' part. Prior to this tool, using the HPT Editor, once you click Calculate Coefficients, it is game over. Your VVE shape changed and you really don't know if you made any good progress in your goal of sculpting the final shape. The only way to tell is to flash the tune, drive and log, and try another copy/paste special... this is wasting time and gas.

So the entire purpose of this tool is to allow you to click Calc. Coefficients as many times as you want, so that you can see if that new shape is better than what you started with. This is an iterative process too. So you can keep doing paste specials and hand blending and interpolating and Calc. Coefficients. Tool is going to keep track of your old and new VVE shapes and use the histogram to audit the changes. This allows you to generate a much better VVE shape and do it faster without having to flash and log each time.

As far as the cell hits, that is up to you. I would suggest that you should bump this number up until it eliminates wonky data that clearly does not agree with the resulting data/shape.
    Last edited by Cringer; 06-20-2023 at 06:55 PM.

My Tuning Software:

MAF Assistant
    EOIT Assistant

Thank you for explaining.

Also thanks for taking the time to make these tools and offering them to anyone interested.

Tuning Addict
    Sooooooo, when's the new version coming out

~Greg Huggins~

Tuner in Training
    Great tool!
    Had a go at it yesterday and when i finally got the work flow, its kinda neat.
    Any advice when running Maf freq low and high tables? Just work them one by one in two running programs maybe?

About the filters. Is torque mgt advance used in manual cars? On the 2006 C6Z06 i tried this on yesterday it stayed 0 at all times.
    Thanks! Been enjoying and learning from your youtube channel as well!

Advanced Tuner
    I would like to know the extent of torque management on manuals as well. I know they do have cfco and have verified that on a wideband.