Thread: 8L90 tuning issues and using Bluecat

Tuner in Training

8L90 tuning issues and using Bluecat

I am trying to use the Bluecat tool to adjust the tables but without actual drop down menu's to support it's a little challenging.

While looking at the table Bluecat came up with vs what is in my tune some things don't look right in my current tune, so rather than make a bunch of adjustments I thought I would post here for some help.

Truck has a L83 with 2.9L Whipple making around 20-21#s, methanol injection, LT4 fuel system, 535LPH in-tank, fully built bottom end, heads, headers, etc. 3200 Circle D triple disc converter.
    Transmission is stock and overfilled 1.5 quarts. The transmission shifts require much improvement. I have included a couple runs as well as the current tune for you guys to look at. The WOT Torque Converter Apply/Release table doesn't make sense to me as is in the current tune.

My understanding is that the desired lockup would be in 7th and 8th gear...true?

Any help is much appreciated, it's been a long time since I actually enjoyed driving the truck.
    Last edited by ramermanz28; 05-25-2023 at 02:38 PM.

SOI is too late, log shows roughly 17X KPA so far away from 20lbs, PE is Lazy, VVE is stock, Shift times too slow, I could go on, but spent about 5 min reviewing it

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Charles View Post
    SOI is too late, log shows roughly 17X KPA so far away from 20lbs, PE is Lazy, VVE is stock, Shift times too slow, I could go on, but spent about 5 min reviewing it
    Thank you Ben. What I don't understand is that my boost gauge is saying 20# and the MAP minus Barometric is adding up to that? Unless I'm logging the incorrect parameters for boost.

I should have provided more information on the engine:
    VVT has been deleted using the LME delete cover, cam is also a non-VVT with 32% fuel lobe.

Thank you, Robert
    Last edited by ramermanz28; 05-25-2023 at 02:39 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Hey, I'm just poking around in your logs trying to build out a VVE histogram and want to point out that you're EQ ratio error will go to 100% @ like 1300 RPM.. Prior to this event the STFT averages will go to -25 & +25% During and on either end of the event.. Seems Like a wiring fault. It starts at 1:15 and ends on 4:26 into the log.

Can you also log the pids- Mass air flow SAE & Volumetric efficiency in G/S? And dynamic airflow?

Screenshot 2023-05-24 121403- EQ-error 100 percent.png

Tuner in Training
    Chad, thank you for responding. I will add the PIDs you are referring to and get another log to post. Are you saying to add a chart that logs MAF, VE, and Dynamic airflow on one graph?
    Which log are you looking at (1) or(2)?
    I'm not sure what wiring issue would cause this? It could be the EQ ration is off based on the AEM wideband, I notice that sometimes when I first give it gas or let off the gas the AEM wideband will go high. It might be because of the sensor location. I have it in located in the X-pipe fitting to be able to get the average of both banks. I'm not running cats. Maybe I have the sensor too far down the exhaust?

Thank you, Robert.
    Last edited by ramermanz28; 05-24-2023 at 01:38 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Disregard that.. I'm still working through what's normal and what isn't. It looks like the eq ratio error will go to 100% error under deceleration. I added the channels I use.

Yea, I have a histogram that uses LT&DTFT's a math channel to figure out the average of the VVE error.. So it's like tuning both at once.

Quote Originally Posted by ramermanz28 View Post
    Chad, thank you for responding. I will add the PIDs you are referring to and get another log to post. Are you saying to add a chart that logs MAF, VE, and Dynamic airflow on one graph?
    Which log are you looking at (1) or(2)?
    I'm not sure what wiring issue would cause this? It could be the EQ ration is off based on the AEM wideband, I notice that sometimes when I first give it gas or let off the gas the AEM wideband will go high. It might be because of the sensor location. I have it in located in the X-pipe fitting to be able to get the average of both banks. I'm not running cats. Maybe I have the sensor too far down the exhaust?

Thank you, Robert.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    Thanks Chad. I will load up the channel config and log some data.

I'm pretty sure I have my WBO2 sensor too far away. I was trying to put it in a location where it saw both banks, however in doing so it's pretty far down the path. I'll look into placing it closer to one of the factory NBO2's or put it in place of one of the factory NBO2's that are "after cat" but deleted since I'm not running cats.

Again, thank you for your help.

I tend to like WB to only read one bank… this way easier to isolate a problem… xpipe not the best location since it shows both sides (fine if everything is working right) and the distance is ok bc it’s a sealed exhaust system.. not like you have it at tail pipe and giving a false reading due to the outside air effecting the probe

14 Gen 5 Viper

Tuner in Training
    Thank you Ben I plan on moving the sensor to one of the header collectors closer to where the NBO2 is located to give a better reading. Not sure if that will "fix" the erratic readings I get when I let off the gas.

Thank you, Robert

Did some board members remote tune this?

14 Gen 5 Viper

Tuner in Training
    No Sir.

I want to be clear...I am not here to bash the tuners, they have extremely successful businesses and fast personal cars, so they know what they are doing. The truck is not fun to drive and when I do drive it, I have to baby it around because it just shifts like shit and does weird things at WOT so I back out. I just want to enjoy driving the truck, I have spent a lot of money on the build for it to sit in the garage.

Robert
    Last edited by ramermanz28; 05-25-2023 at 02:42 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Charles View Post
    Ben after looking at the logs again whenever I am at max boost 20.79 psi (logged) the MAP sensor is reading 236 KPa (34.2psi) - Barometer Pressure (SAE) reading of 13.8 psi comes out to 20.4 psi.

Not sure where you are getting only 17X KPa MAX in the logs? At 179 KPa (logged) I'm seeing 12 psi of boost which tracks as well.

Thank you.

Robert

I stand corrected, first pull on one of the logs pegs around 17x, Looking further into the log it does indeed show 22X+ on boost..

If you look, each pull you make the throttle is cutting back to roughly 50%… hence why boost pressure is all over the place, this rig has a lot more power in it
    Last edited by Ben Charles; 05-25-2023 at 10:01 AM.

14 Gen 5 Viper

Tuner in Training
    Thank you Ben. Out of respect to the tuners that have worked on the truck I have deleted the tune file I uploaded.
    It was never my intention to "air dirty laundry". I would just like the truck to reach its potential, and I just don't feel it's there.
    Hopefully everything gets straightened out. I just wanted some help and thought this would be a place I could get some help to try and dial it in myself.
    Researching online and watching videos has really opened up my eyes to what it takes to tune a modern vehicle and I have the utmost respect for those of you that can. I hate not being able to do it on my own, which is why I'm trying to learn.

Thank you.

V/r Robert

get a tighter belt as well lol
    Specializing in calibrating GM vehicles. HPtuners and HolleyEFI

Remote tuning services email [email protected]
    instagram: tunedbymmt