Thread: 6L80 input shaft speed sensor code p0716

Senior Tuner

6L80 input shaft speed sensor code p0716

Car has converter, cam etc, and will throw this code and put it into limp occasionally when coming to stop or stopped. Turned polling speed up and noticed it going from 0 rpm indicated in gear sitting still to flashes of rpm up to 1200 or so?

Anyone ran into this? I just tried turning the code off to see if it had no ill effects but never had this before
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Factory Stock 97 SS M6 13.51 @ 104.3 mph
    Stock Longblock LS1 w/ 233/238 P.S.I. Cam
    10.81 @ 126.9 Full interior, six speed on 275 radials, a decade ago

'99 TA trunk mounted 76mm 6 Liter
    9.0s in '09 @ 153 MPH

Turbo 5.3 Volvo 740 Wagon
    32psi and still winding out 5th on the highway somewhere

Potential Tuner

P0716 6L80 transmission

Quote Originally Posted by GrannySShifting View Post
    Car has converter, cam etc, and will throw this code and put it into limp occasionally when coming to stop or stopped. Turned polling speed up and noticed it going from 0 rpm indicated in gear sitting still to flashes of rpm up to 1200 or so?

Anyone ran into this? I just tried turning the code off to see if it had no ill effects but never had this before
    MY 09 Corvette is doing the same thing P0716 input shaft sensor failure. I have only seen it twice so far and it occurred sitting at a traffic light when the outside ambient temperature was hot 91 degrees. The transmission temperature was in the normal range 195-210, the car surged forward and the code set. The transmission would no longer shift and stayed in 2nd gear. Shutting down the car and restarting cleared the issue and the transmission operated normally.

In running a log file on the transmission, I noticed I can see input shaft data but no output shaft data don't know if this is a problem with the logging program or the transmission. I don't see any codes indicating a problem with the output shaft sensor.

HELP

JL

Check charging system for bad diodes. Check speed sensor wiring to make sure the wires were twisted. Could be picking up a signal on the wiring. Had this happen a couple times with diodes and sensor issues and also with a vehicle that had the wiring replaced due to a fire at the transmission. Wires were not twisted and was running next to some plug wires. Found it by putting my "O" scope on the wiring and seeing a BUNCH of noise on the signal. Made it shift all crappy.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jlencioni View Post
    MY 09 Corvette is doing the same thing P0716 input shaft sensor failure. I have only seen it twice so far and it occurred sitting at a traffic light when the outside ambient temperature was hot 91 degrees. The transmission temperature was in the normal range 195-210, the car surged forward and the code set. The transmission would no longer shift and stayed in 2nd gear. Shutting down the car and restarting cleared the issue and the transmission operated normally.

In running a log file on the transmission, I noticed I can see input shaft data but no output shaft data don't know if this is a problem with the logging program or the transmission. I don't see any codes indicating a problem with the output shaft sensor.

HELP

JL
    Exact same thing this car does
    Factory Stock 97 SS M6 13.51 @ 104.3 mph
    Stock Longblock LS1 w/ 233/238 P.S.I. Cam
    10.81 @ 126.9 Full interior, six speed on 275 radials, a decade ago

'99 TA trunk mounted 76mm 6 Liter
    9.0s in '09 @ 153 MPH

Turbo 5.3 Volvo 740 Wagon
    32psi and still winding out 5th on the highway somewhere

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    Check charging system for bad diodes. Check speed sensor wiring to make sure the wires were twisted. Could be picking up a signal on the wiring. Had this happen a couple times with diodes and sensor issues and also with a vehicle that had the wiring replaced due to a fire at the transmission. Wires were not twisted and was running next to some plug wires. Found it by putting my "O" scope on the wiring and seeing a BUNCH of noise on the signal. Made it shift all crappy.
    Thats where I was heading. This car is all stock wiring and looks pristine I am thinking alternator or battery. Really don't want to jump into the transmission just yet.

Thanks for the comment

JL

An easy test is to make sure you have a FULLY charged battery. Disconnect the alternator, tape the wire so it doesn't short on anything and drive it to see if your symptom is gone. You can easily get 5+ minutes of drive time on a good charged battery without accessories on.

Potential Tuner

Progress

Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    An easy test is to make sure you have a FULLY charged battery. Disconnect the alternator, tape the wire so it doesn't short on anything and drive it to see if your symptom is gone. You can easily get 5+ minutes of drive time on a good charged battery without accessories on.
    The problem is very intermittent and difficult to duplicate. Only has done it twice in over a month and both times it was extremely hot raising the under-hood temperature quite high. I have created a logging templet to monitor the TMC voltage and the alternator to see if I can see something going on when this happens. I did clean the alternator connectors and have been driving the car so far, no issues.

The log I ran on the transmission shifting and all internals of the transmission are perfect so like you I don't think it's internal to the transmission unless it is a TCM or shaft sensor. Just have to wait and see, hoping for the best it an external issue.

Thanks,

JL