Thread: Gen 4 LS swap. L96 6.0 coolant fan control.

Potential Tuner

Gen 4 LS swap. L96 6.0 coolant fan control.

Hello I just swapped a L96 into my 1956 Chevy truck and I currently have the fans set up so they turn on when the ignition is on. I?d like to learn how to change the settings in the E38 ecu so I can adjust the temps that they come on and off at.

I?m posting this question from my phone so I am unable to post my tune wt the moment. I will update it when I get home and have access to my computer.

Senior Tuner
    Just copy the fan tab out of something that has electric fans from the factory.

For a E38 good choices would be 2010-15 camaro or a lot of trucks come with Efans and have E38's.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    Just copy the fan tab out of something that has electric fans from the factory.

For a E38 good choices would be 2010-15 camaro or a lot of trucks come with Efans and have E38's.
    Ok but the factory fans use pulse modulation or something like that to control fan speed. I?m using a relay so it?s going to be on or off. That?s where I?m confused what to do here. Normally I?d just set it to 185 on and 170 off and call it a day.

E38 pickup trucks use relay-control ('discrete') fans. Go to the repository and look for like 2008 Silverado.

The fan logic is not simple like an on temp & off temp. There are states and thresholds and stuff to determine whether the ECM pins are grounding the relays or not.

screenshot.25-05-2023 11.57.43.png

So, for low speed/Output 1 to go from off to on, the % vs ECT table has to be 44 or more. For low speed to go from on to off, % vs ECT has to be 40 or less. Same for the second output, just higher thresholds/temps.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    E38 pickup trucks use relay-control ('discrete') fans. Go to the repository and look for like 2008 Silverado.

The fan logic is not simple like an on temp & off temp. There are states and thresholds and stuff to determine whether the ECM pins are grounding the relays or not.

screenshot.25-05-2023 11.57.43.png

So, for low speed/Output 1 to go from off to on, the % vs ECT table has to be 44 or more. For low speed to go from on to off, % vs ECT has to be 40 or less. Same for the second output, just higher thresholds/temps.
    Awesome thank you for this explanation. Makes a lot more sense now. So I copied what your screen shot shows but I changed the fan state % vs current state a little. I gave the 1>0 set to 35 so it should cut off in the 180s degree range I think.