Thread: VIN Change not working

Potential Tuner

VIN Change not working

So After getting no responses on my controller un-locker time out issue on my 2015 Chevy Cruze E78, I decided to replace the ecm.
    I purchased a used E78. After installing it I verified the os and went through the vin update process but it is not working
    Does anyone have any idea how to get it to take my VIN?
    I used this from the help section https://www.hptuners.com/help/

Advanced Tuner
    i haven't personally used the write vin option but heres a little bit of info on swapping modules

Condition/Concern

A technician may comment of a no start or another concern after swapping an ECM or other modulesfrom one vehicle to another.

Recommendation/Instructions

The Global Architecture electrical system associated with these vehicles does not allow controllerswaps between vehicles. Swapping ECMs or other modules (including Radio, BCM, EBCM, SDM, TCM, ECC (HVAC), EPS, HPCM, & IPC) between two vehicles with the Global Architecture electrical system will result in damaging both controllers (A NO START CONDITION WILL OCCUR ON BOTH VEHICLES IF THESE MODULES ARE SWAPPED) due to the new vehicle security code protocol (environment) starting with the 2010 MY GDS applications.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
    Last edited by TCSS07; 06-01-2018 at 10:47 PM.

VIN change is not eneugh to swap controller, you need to write immo and pin code also ..

Tuner in Training
    Reviving a dead thread with a solution here.

Do a full write of your stock flash to the new ecu but disable vats.
    Connect vcm scanner if its a manual you must do the clutch position relearn before it will turn over.
    Now fire it up and do the crank sensor relearn in vcm scanner.

I killed my e78 when I hit Write with the key off, they retain enough power to kill themselves.
    I now have 2 junkyard ecus that work one is from a 1.4 Cruze and the other a 1.8 Sonic. They still display the old vins but have my 1.8 tune.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeRWK View Post
    Reviving a dead thread with a solution here.

Do a full write of your stock flash to the new ecu but disable vats.
    Connect vcm scanner if its a manual you must do the clutch position relearn before it will turn over.
    Now fire it up and do the crank sensor relearn in vcm scanner.

I killed my e78 when I hit Write with the key off, they retain enough power to kill themselves.
    I now have 2 junkyard ecus that work one is from a 1.4 Cruze and the other a 1.8 Sonic. They still display the old vins but have my 1.8 tune.
    I, currently, have the same problem. Bricked the original ECU because it lost power with the key-off position. I got a replacement from a 1.4 N/A.
    These are Gen 2 E78 ECU-s.

This is the original file from the original ECU (i have whole 3mb bin file, too, captured with autotuner)

old_JzcSAzPfDx.png

And this is the new ECU file (also have original 3mb bin file).

new_ol6Y2jMFVE.png

The operating systems are identical, i copied all the segments over from the original file to the new file. I cannot change the VIN.

vin_FQwCl4Go5v.png

I disabled VATS Patch 1 (only one available) and did Write Entire. After connecting the ECU, i can hear the fuel pump prime. I did clutch relearn, but triggering the key does not activate the starter at all.
    Reported DTC-s were P0513, which i set to No Error Reported, and then after that P1631, which i also disabled by setting to No Error Reported. Still no cranking at all.

The only one left to do is crank relearn, but the engine needs to be running for that. Am i missing some steps?
    Last edited by sbarisic; 06-19-2023 at 07:03 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Key/immobilzer relearn?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by sbarisic View Post
    I, currently, have the same problem. Bricked the original ECU because it lost power with the key-off position. I got a replacement from a 1.4 N/A.
    These are Gen 2 E78 ECU-s.

This is the original file from the original ECU (i have whole 3mb bin file, too, captured with autotuner)

old_JzcSAzPfDx.png

And this is the new ECU file (also have original 3mb bin file).

new_ol6Y2jMFVE.png

The operating systems are identical, i copied all the segments over from the original file to the new file. I cannot change the VIN.

vin_FQwCl4Go5v.png

I disabled VATS Patch 1 (only one available) and did Write Entire. After connecting the ECU, i can hear the fuel pump prime. I did clutch relearn, but triggering the key does not activate the starter at all.
    Reported DTC-s were P0513, which i set to No Error Reported, and then after that P1631, which i also disabled by setting to No Error Reported. Still no cranking at all.

The only one left to do is crank relearn, but the engine needs to be running for that. Am i missing some steps?
    The operating systems are the same but the ecu's aren't compatible its telling you in the vin change window. For my '14 cruze the only ecu's that worked were from 14-15 vehicles .

Also you need to take your original file and Write Entire to the new ecu, no segment swapping. The vin still wont change but then you disable vats and the associated codes and it'll start.

See how my new ecu is a match for my old one in the screenshot.
    Screenshot 2023-06-23 224825.png
    Last edited by MikeRWK; 06-25-2023 at 03:08 PM.