Thread: Camaro l99 in a G8

Camaro l99 in a G8

Hey guys I hope you all are doing well. Anyways the title days it all, almost. I have a l99 from a 2012 camaro that I think I would like to try to swap into a Pontiac G8. My questions are can I use the e38 from the camaro to run the l99 in the g8 or should I forget that and just use the ecm in the g8? The l99 has variable valve timing in it but I don't think the g8 does. I know they both have afm which I have deleted in the l99 but kept the vvt. If thats the case then I can just do a vvt delete on the l99 as well. So, I was looking at the difference in between the tunes and I noticed that the maf in the g8 only goes up to like 4500 lb/h and the camaro tune goes up to 10,000 lb/h. Is this a big deal?
    L99 A6 - DSS FX Forged Piston's, Eagle ESP L19 Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, LS9 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnion Upgrade, TSP Chrome Molly Pushrods, BTR .660 Valve Springs, GM Hollow Intake Valves, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, IR EGM-205 Oil Pan Baffle, CAI Intake, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, ZL1 Pump, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter

I guess what I really need to know is what the difference between the 2009 G8 E38 ecm vs the 2012 Camaro E38 ecm? One of the things that concern me is the variable valve timing. I know in the 2009 G8 ecm there is a section in the tune that has a spot for vvt operation so is it as simple as filling in the parameters in the tune file for the vvt to work?
    L99 A6 - DSS FX Forged Piston's, Eagle ESP L19 Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, LS9 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnion Upgrade, TSP Chrome Molly Pushrods, BTR .660 Valve Springs, GM Hollow Intake Valves, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, IR EGM-205 Oil Pan Baffle, CAI Intake, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, ZL1 Pump, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter

You must use your G8 computer. Lots are different between calibrations plus your 6L80e is already "married" to that computer.

Just delete the VVT if you can't enable the VVT in your calibration.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    You must use your G8 computer. Lots are different between calibrations plus your 6L80e is already "married" to that computer.

Just delete the VVT if you can't enable the VVT in your calibration.
    So can I get the dealer to reflash the TCM in the G8 to get the tranny to work or how can I fix that?

There is way more to it than just the PCM/TCM. All of the other control modules talk with each other in these cars. You can't just stick a 2012 calibration file from a Camaro into an older 2008 G8 and have everything work like it did before.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

So if I do this swap I would want to keep the tranny from the G8 correct? I mean that would be the simplest thing to do?

My next question might be kind of dumb but is the harness connectors to the ecm the same across all e38's? I'm assuming that the 2012 Camaro harness will plug into the 2009 G8 e38?

Quote Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
    My next question might be kind of dumb but is the harness connectors to the ecm the same across all e38's? I'm assuming that the 2012 Camaro harness will plug into the 2009 G8 e38?
    I answered my own question from this thread. https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...th-E78-ECM-VSS

My next thing to do is figure out if a 2009 G8 o2 sensor is interchangeable with a 2012 o2 sensor other then the connector ends. Will the 2012 sensors work on the 09 ecm?

Senior Tuner
    Just reuse the G8 o2 sensors.

I've been able to get VVT to work on non VVT stuff by adding pinouts for the necessary things.. but IMHO you are so much better off having a simple setup without VVT.

As someone with a dyno and have hammered on cam timing looking for power... There is very little there. Not worth the frustration.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    Just reuse the G8 o2 sensors.

I've been able to get VVT to work on non VVT stuff by adding pinouts for the necessary things.. but IMHO you are so much better off having a simple setup without VVT.

As someone with a dyno and have hammered on cam timing looking for power... There is very little there. Not worth the frustration.
    Yeah I think I've came to that conclusion. Thanks Alvin. Do you know which maf sensor I should use?

Senior Tuner
    As a starting point.. just swap the long block into the G8. Reuse G8 MAF and O2 sensors, etc.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Can someone tell me more about the transmission stuff? Like what I would need to do to swap the 2012 Camaro 6l80 into the 2009 G8. And say I would want to sell the Camaro tranny and the buyer has a 2010-2015 Camaro would it work in their car or would you need the ecm and tcm from the donor car?

Senior Tuner
    Honestly.. you are making this way more complicated than you need to be. The trans does not need to be swapped. I cannot comment on what is interchangeable.

But treat your engine swap the same way as if you bought a crate engine from a engine builder or something.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com

Tuning Addict
    As long as the G8 had a V8 originally it should have the 6l80 in it. If not things start getting complicated... If your 6l80 is built and why you're wanting to keep it then as long as the valve bodies are the same all you have to do is swap the valvebody / tcm assembly. That's if you're dead set on keeping what you know is working.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    As long as the G8 had a V8 originally it should have the 6l80 in it. If not things start getting complicated... If your 6l80 is built and why you're wanting to keep it then as long as the valve bodies are the same all you have to do is swap the valvebody / tcm assembly. That's if you're dead set on keeping what you know is working.
    Yeah that's what I was thinking is I would like to have a tranny in there where I know things were working right. Thanks Greg.