Thread: Gen 3 5.3 w/LSA supercharger

Potential Tuner

Gen 3 5.3 w/LSA supercharger

Hey all, new to the forum. I have a Gen 3 5.3 with an LSA super charger mated to it. Deka 80lb injectors in it, running at 58psi fuel pressure before vacuum line attached. Also have a t56 magnum f mated to it. I?ve been working on the tune with my coworker who used to run a dyno at a past shop with very little ls experience or go tuners. The car runs pretty solid at idle, AFRs look good while driving normal through all gears. The issue I?m having is that it seems to not be making any boost at all. When I try to hit boost ranges it falls flat on its face, AFRs go super rich, I can see like 2-3 psi show up on the gauge quick when it happens as well. I have attached a picture of what happened on the scanner when it cut out and will post my tune file in a few when I hop onto my laptop.

Thanks everyone and anyone in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Potential Tuner

My current tune file

Here's the tune file i have so far, its not the prettiest by any means, still very rough. Wondering if something to do with switching from an auto to a manual trans is fucking things up as well because it seems to be using the "in drive" spark table instead of the high or low octane table when i'm logging.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Deka 80s flow like 94lbs at 58psi. And you mentioned a vacuum line to the regulator; your injector data is set up (sloped) like for a non-referenced fuel system. For referenced regulator the flow rate & offset tables should have all columns all the way across the same as the 0kPa column. If you have a datasheet for the injectors, and they're really Deka 80s, then the sheet is wrong.

What happened to the VE table?

Potential Tuner
    I got the injectors off of ebay from a good seller, did not come with any data unfortunately so i reached out to FIC and used what they had given me. Today i just went on the forum and found info for good data on these so i was going to try that next. The FPR is a boost referenced one and disconnected im at 58PSI connected im around 46-48PSI. Im very new with the tuning and haven't had too much positive help.

The VE table is all over from real time tuning trying to keep AFR and trim numbers good through rpm ranges in each gear but the not boosting and falling on its face issue has made things very difficult.

Does this look like better data to use?
    Last edited by BoostedS14; 05-26-2023 at 07:21 PM.

Potential Tuner
    One thing i should mention is that the stock 5.3 P01 ECM did not have 3 bar map OS available so i paid for the credits to write a full vin stock tune from a P01 6.0 instead to utilize that 3 bar setup. Maybe that could have change more stuff than i can tell? Do i go back to the 5.3 file and start from scratch? see if there is a 2bar OS at least on it?

Was your original PCM the correct, compatible Service Number for the other file you wrote to it?

This is what data for a referenced fuel system looks like:

siemens deka 80 injectors - referenced regulator.xls

I don't think any of these are plausible numbers, not even the ones in green. You'd be better off using the stock VE in the 15-105kPa range and then using guesswork to estimate the rest, as a starting point. You know, numbers that won't drown the poor thing if it ever gets to a region you haven't built using real data yet.

screenshot.26-05-2023 19.41.23.png

Changing the injector data now after you've started means anything you've done previously will have to be thrown out anyway.

Potential Tuner
    Yes i made sure it was same year range and also a P01 ECM. Was going to utilize an 01 camaro tune file instead since it came with a manual trans already in it, was a P01 ecm and has 3 bar OS available. Thank you for the data it is greatly appreciated, it was so hard to find correct data online anywhere. When you say using the stock 15-105 KPA range, do you mean for a stock 5.3?

There's more than one 'P01' Service Number. There's multiple Service Numbers for every ECM/PCM family and you can't just go making your own hardware & calibration combos just because you feel like it. Get t he mix wrong and it'll be bricked, or worse, act like it still works most of the time until it flakes out with no rational explanation then goes back to working again.

You have a 5.3L, right? Why would you use a VE from a different engine as a baseline? Do you still have the file from the 5.3 OS, before you flashed it with somebody else's file?

Potential Tuner
    Yes i still have the 5.3 file. Like i said the only reason i went with the 6.0 starting point was having 3 bar OS capability. The lsa lid comes with a 3 bar map in it and im using speed density. 5.3 OS has on 2 bar OS. Do you think that is good enough? im running a 2.55" pulley so like 10-12 PSI. If so i will reload the 5.3 file and utilize the injector data you sent over to me and start fresh from there.

Is there anything else to do besides disabling the torque management abuse stuff having installed a manual trans into the car?

You can use any MAP with any OS (even stock) as long as the linear/offset specs will 'fit' in the PCM. Hover your cursor over the MAP settings boxes and it'll show you the allowed range.

Are you expecting a LSA to make more than 15psi? Tiny little pulley up top giant pulley on the bottom? Is this an icewater-in-the-reservoir type deal or something practical that happens to have a small blower on it?

If you do exceed the 210kPa in the 2-bar's VE, it just carries on using whatever's in the last row, and that's usually just fine. Or just verify that your new tune file is compatible with the PCM's service number...

I thought Deka 80s were those looong things, didn't know there was a super shorty version that will fit in the LSA's little pocket. I think all the internet-data for 'Deka 80s' is going to be for the long LS1-style version, I'm not sure that data will carry over to a different physical injector.

Potential Tuner
    I guess with the setup I have I’m not really expecting over 15 at this time. If that’s the case would that mean using the 2bar os should be enough? Also I was under the impression that the deka 80 shortys and tall ones were the same flow just a different size. If that’s not the case would you recommend of different injector with “more” or “better” data out there for them that would fit under the lsa

Are you going to make more than 700hp? If not, then use the LSA/LS9 injectors, 12598646, along with all the data from a LSA/LS9 stock file. They're kinda expensive new, but lots of guys with those cars upgrade and if you are patient you can find them used for $200-250. If you're going to make more than 700 then injectors is not the thing to cheap out on.

Advanced Tuner
    You need to fail the MAF in the DTCs. The P0101-P0103 should be set to MIL on 1st error in file 00 6.0 3bar compare James 3.1.1 test.hpt

https://weaponxmotorsports.com/blogs...ng-mods-needed
    Last edited by Hondaeater; 05-27-2023 at 09:52 AM.

P0101-103 are set to MIL on First Error.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    P0101-103 are set to MIL on First Error.
    Oh good. I must have switched it and was looking at the compare file. Too sleepy to be doing this anyway.
    thanks Blindsquirrel

Potential Tuner
    Well I’m gonna start with going back to the 5.3 file of mine and use the referenced injector data you sent me as a starting point for everything blindsquirel. Thanks for all of the helpful info, hopefully this will help solve some of the odd issues I’ve been having!

Potential Tuner

Newest Tune File

So here is my newest tune file, went back to the 5.3 setup, put the proper injector data in that you sent me an it seems to run alot better, idles alot better as well. The things im having problems with still are: First, IAC related issues, i have a nick williams 102 attached to the lsa blower currently and running factory IAC and TPS. My IAC counts seem to be around 20 or lower while idling and it isn't the smoothest really, perhaps too much air coming through? Second im having issues with throttle tip in. If i try to tap the throttle even slightly without a gradual build up, its like it sucks in loads of air almost chokes out and then will recover. Also seems to go very rich from the looks of my AFR's. I tried playing with the fuel to wall impact a bit after doing some research and feel like it was getting somewhere but still coming up short.