Thread: MAF Scaling/Calibration using NGK/AFX Wideband

Tuner in Training

MAF Scaling/Calibration using NGK/AFX Wideband

C6 Corvette, LS2, E-Force Supercharger, 10 lbs. Boost, E85/DSX Flex Fuel, 227/234 114LSA CAM, 225 as cast PRC Heads.

I am attempting to calibrate/scale my MAF using my NGK/AFX Wideband by creating a Graph/Histogram that logs the error between the Equivalence Ratio Commanded (lambda) and the AFR (lambda) displayed by my NGK/AFX Wideband. In order for my NGK/AFX Wideband to display as a lambda value in the Scanner, I had to Transform the output of the Wideband. When data logging, the Equivalence Ratio Commanded Channel displays in lambda and the NGK/AFX, channel MPVI2.1 -> NGK - AFX displays in lambda. I can see the error between the commanded and actual lambda values, I just can't seem to get the Graph/Histogram to work. I believe my issue is with the Math Parameters. Does anyone know what the Math Parameter Expression should read. The ID for the MPVI2 (wideband) is represented as V and not Lambda. I do not know how to modify the Math Parameters Expression for the MPVI2 input (NGK/AFX Wideband).

Does anyone know how the Math Parameter Expression should read. The following is what it looks like at the moment:

100 * ([30011.10] - [50118.238]) / [50118.238]

To Transform the NGK/AFX to read in lambda, I used the following:

Function: (Input/10.416) + 0.618 = Output

I have searched but have not found any answers or anything that seems to work. I am hoping that someone has worked through this issue and has an answer for me as I have not been able to figure this out on my own.

I have my NGK WB set up like this:

Transform (input/5.333333333)+0.52625=output

Gauge.png

My gauge readout matches my WB display.

Math:
    100 * ([40060] - [50118.238]) / [50118.238]

40060 is my Wideband brought in through my Prolink

Display.png

But I have an NGK AFRM.

Then set up a MAF histogram using EQ Error as you parameter:

Histo.png
    Last edited by PGA2B; 05-26-2023 at 07:57 PM.
    2013 OBM A6 CTS-V Coupe
    Mods: Headers back Billy Boat Exhaust, GripTec 2.65, 8.6 PowerBond Lower, LSX Innovations Solid Isolator, ID850's, NGK TR7IX's, Accel 9070CK Wires, Spectre CAI, SRI Ported Throttle Body, SRI Catch Can, NGK AFRM, 160* T-Stat, 0fx2gv Brick, Hard Line Delete W/3/4" Lines, FB 101 FMIC, Pierberg CWA50, Stoptech Drilled/Slotted Rotors, EBC Redstuff, Cut Stock Springs, Flat Bottom Steering Wheel
    2006 Black Raven STS-V (Traded In)
    Fully Modded: 459RWHP@5888rpm/451lbft@4696rpm

Tuner in Training
    Thank you PGA2B for your help and response. I believe my problem is with my NGK/AFX Wideband. My Wideband output is also brought out through my MPVI2 Pro Link, Input 1. However, in order for my Wideband to read in lambda, I had to Transform the output via User Defined (Input/10.41666) + 0.618 = Output) because none of the predefined Transform Selections offered the appropriate Function values for lambda. The predefined Transform Values for the NGK - AFX [(V/0.7142857) + 9 = Output] is not in lambda but AFR. To convert the Pro Link output to Lambda, I had to Transform the output via User Defined. My User Defined NGK/AFX lambda value does not appear or can be accessed from the Math Parameters Variables. I keep trying to come up with something that will work but have not had much luck so far.

Tuner in Training
    I am coming to the realization that if I want to use my Wideband to Calibrate/Scale my MAF, I will need to replace my NGK/AFX with a Wideband that is supported in greater detail than my current Wideband. I am considering either the NTK AFRM Gen 2 or the Ballenger AFR 500V2. Any recommendations? PGA2B, as mentioned above, is employing the use of the NGK AFRM which is perhaps the same or nearly the same as the NTK AFRM Gen 2. Just wondering what others are using. I want to display and work Lambda as I am E85 and lambda is easier for me to work with. Either the NTK AFRM Gen 2 or the Ballenger AFR 500V2 should provide me with the ability to calibrate/scale the MAF via EQ Ratio Error. Recommendations?

Senior Tuner
    Usually see the AEM stuff recommended as the best.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    C6 Corvette, LS2, E-Force Supercharger, 10 lbs. Boost, E85/DSX Flex Fuel, 227/234 114LSA CAM, 225 as cast PRC Heads.

I am attempting to calibrate/scale my MAF using my NGK/AFX Wideband by creating a Graph/Histogram that logs the error between the Equivalence Ratio Commanded (lambda) and the AFR (lambda) displayed by my NGK/AFX Wideband. In order for my NGK/AFX Wideband to display as a lambda value in the Scanner, I had to Transform the output of the Wideband. When data logging, the Equivalence Ratio Commanded Channel displays in lambda and the NGK/AFX, channel MPVI2.1 -> NGK - AFX displays in lambda. I can see the error between the commanded and actual lambda values, I just can't seem to get the Graph/Histogram to work. I believe my issue is with the Math Parameters. Does anyone know what the Math Parameter Expression should read. The ID for the MPVI2 (wideband) is represented as V and not Lambda. I do not know how to modify the Math Parameters Expression for the MPVI2 input (NGK/AFX Wideband).

Does anyone know how the Math Parameter Expression should read. The following is what it looks like at the moment:

100 * ([30011.10] - [50118.238]) / [50118.238]

To Transform the NGK/AFX to read in lambda, I used the following:

Function: (Input/10.416) + 0.618 = Output

I have searched but have not found any answers or anything that seems to work. I am hoping that someone has worked through this issue and has an answer for me as I have not been able to figure this out on my own.
    I'm sure you've seen that HPTuners already has a lot of popular widebands already defined in lambda and EQ (which are just x/1 from each other) There is also pre-defined EQ ratio error and AFR error provided already where you go to add a channel all the way at the bottom.

Having said that.. You would likely be better off if you went with the AEM Can bus version.. Its got a very fast output and there are no ground scalar/offset issues like with a 0-5V wideband. It logs as if the car came equipped with a wideband.

If you get your NGK/AFX wideband going I'd highly recommend you make a video with your phone or something recording what is being displayed by the gauge and what shows up in HPtuners. More often than not they will not match.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuner in Training
    Thanks to everyone for your help. Backed everything out, started over and was able to get the NGK/AFX working and I can now data log and graph the EQ Ratio Errors. I am now able to calibrate/scale the MAF sensor via my Histogram, logging the error % between the commanded and actual EQ ratio.